1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do I Help A Resentful Lady?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Laks09, Nov 29, 2018.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Well if the therapists are already in the picture then maybe you need not worry? They are professionals and must have seen this kind of reaction from parents before. Surely they would have their own process of escalation based on the response they are seeing from the parents.
    Maybe you can warn her about that and warn her that sometimes once decisions are taken reversing them can be tough or impossible. That it is in their best interest to make their peace with this and accept it.

Laks09 likes this.
  2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Laks.
    If the parents are even shouting at the kid, its abuse in USA.
    If it happens in front of the therapist or if they notice negligence they will call CPS.
    Then it becomes a hell for the parents. I am a member of many desi special needs groups in USA. I k ow some cases where CPS was called by the therapists.
    Please caution her.

Laks09 likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I’m sure she knows. She told me not to mention to anyone because it’s a big deal here.
    Btw, spanking is legal in TX. As long as it isn’t cruel and unusual cps doesn’t do much here. Archaic law that needs to be addressed.

4. Laks09

They have been telling her that she needs to do what they ask of her at home for consistency. I’ve cautioned her about them not putting in the effort if she doesn’t follow through with their suggestions. I’ve also told her that they will ask her to find another therapy place if she doesn’t work with them. I hope she follows through, she keeps saying that their methods don’t work and the kid isn’t progressing. I’ve felt that about progress too so I get it. The mindset of wanting it fixed yesterday. Unfortunately each kid progresses in therapy at his own pace.
    I usually tell parents that we don’t have too many options other than what the therapists ask us to do. Sometimes, what they suggest is completely opposite of my parenting beliefs. Unfortunately, most times I’ve experienced that they are right. They’ve seen so many kids that they know what they are talking about.
    I also tell parents that after years of working with my son, I’m now at a stage where I can make a lot of suggestions. Now, I’m able to take a stand and say what I want done and why I feel something won’t work etc. It will take a couple of years to get there. Don’t be in a hurry to get there sooner. It’s a marathon, not a race. I’ve told this couple the same thing.

I’m following all the sensible advice from this post for the past few days. I’m responding but with caution. I come here to read responses from all of you before I respond. It’s helping me. I’ve also been too busy to talk on the phone. It’s helping. Usually with texts I’m able to frame answers better. When someone asks me a question on the phone or face to face, I find it hard to evade a direct reply.

1Sandhya likes this.
  5. Laks09

I remember this. Poor kid. I feel like we always carry the guilt of not doing more, not starting sooner, not trying this diet and that new therapy. Adding to it the guilt of having been in denial for years can be so overwhelming. I’m sure this lady is feeling the pressure of all of that. I’m sure the parents you mentioned feel it too. The stigma and exclusion are things we will be fighting for our lifetimes. And the kids too. I hope all special needs kids have the tools to fight for their rights, the people to support them and the means to live life on their own terms.

So true. I feel like it takes each person their own time to get there. I hope she accepts and starts finding peace with the disability.

I did this. I have so many moms and dads whose stories are inspirational. I took the time to bump their threads today!

Of course! I’ve been busy with the usual and not so usual. Thank God for the little guy and the mini me. Both are ensuring my hair greys steadily and I don’t spend too much of mental masala on other people.

Shanvy likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

The general handicap of the current lot- we want instant results.. so true it is not a race but a marathon.

The pressure can get to us, parents, The only mantra that worked, for me, looking only at mine, telling myself we are better than yesterday, we will be better than today, tomorrow....I trained myself to be the horse with blinders, helps a lot in toning down the expectations and focus .yes.hope is a great support to hang on to..

(Started this reply in the morning but got to post it now)

Laks09 likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Greys tell me about it.. I don’t dye them, and imagine how the look is now...lol.. bless the young guy and mini you..

Laks09 likes this.
  8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

hello Laks,
    Dont mean to nitpick but what you said in first para is kind of opposite of what you said in para 2. I know you mean well and your intention is to offer a panoramic view of your experience and how your thinking evolved but I cant help but wonder if this is tmi for this particular lady who is already overwhelmed and somewhat clueless. Since you started this thread by asking us what to tell her and seeing also how her resentment is beginning to negatively impact you I now suggest the following. Strip down the message you want to convey to 2 - 3 pithy phrases (along the lines of 'build the wall' ;)) then repeat monotonously every time she reaches out to you, and no matter what she reaches out to you about. This will also save your sanity and the trouble of how to rephrase same thing in different ways. Sample would be - 1. Trust the therapists and do what they say. Variation - Did you do what the therapist told you to do? If ans is neg then return to 1.
    Basic message you are trying to convey is she needs to trust the therapists and do what they say. That is the only way out of this mess. That all this seems confusing but this is for the child's good which is ultimately for her good and the good of the family.

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Laks09

@1Sandhya - I know yaar. I said that at the beginning so she knew it was a marathon and she would get the skinny at some point in time and things won’t be so out of control for her regarding therapy objectives. I’ve been using strategies that others have said to me and made it easier. Galti ho gayi.

Even yesterday there was a ping about the therapists strategies not working and all of it being a money making scheme. I just said it takes time, follow up with them. For whatever reason, she has very low opinions about mental health professionals. She said she’s dropping it all and moving back to India. I hope she finds support whatever she chooses.

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

In India, it's more money making schemes than here. I hope she knows that