1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Did You Decide, If Its 1 Child Or 2 Children?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by blindpup10, Oct 5, 2016.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Being a part of IL for few months I have read few posters struggling through this topic... I never thought I will be posting about this topic.. but here I am.

I am going through a lot of emotions and I am not sure what I am seeking... The whole thing started when I said I wanted to have another child.I am in my early 30’s and I don't have much longer to decide. My DH wants to think..however, here and there he makes sure to tell me he isn't ready for the second baby.

Most of you know I have 1-year-old DS and he has brought me so much of joy, happiness, and content. That is the only reason I want to have another child.

I was a very different person before having a child and seeing my parents raise my sibling and me. I always wanted to just have one child. I thought an only child should and will get parents 100% attention, love, care and it is very unfair for both children to get less of everything.

I never once regretted having my sibling. She has been there for me all through up and downs. But when we were growing up… I think my parents could have done a better job in raising 2 children. So coming with my own perspective and during pregnancy/ postpartum with a little help I really did feel one child is all I could handle.

My DH too has faced certain things from childhood and simply put he lacks patience and the ability to solve problems diligently when it comes to children. He has his reasons for saying no to a second child.

I want to know from people with 2 children all positives and negatives.

Does it make it harder after having a second child? Don't children bring joy and happiness?

With 2 children will it make it harder for parents to manage work, family, and social life? Can I be any better than my parents or just succumb to everyday stress and make one child feel less affection and love? Can I be different in bringing up 2 children with equal love, care, affection? At this point, My DH and I are financially stable with 2 children. Will we save quite a bit with just 1... Yes, absolutely. But money isn't everything ( for me). It is the small moments, a little happiness. Will I feel the same way when life gets a bit stressful?

I was a very different person 2 years ago.. A few months back. I was sighing that I am satisfied with 1 child.

However, Recently I celebrated 1 year birthday and all I could think of holding a 4-month-old baby. I even told my DH I want 4 months old than 1-year-old DS.

Am I just overwhelmed with emotions after my DS turning 1?

What do you guys feel about my situation?Am I overthinking this with my experience and my DH's experience ?
    Am I being emotional after 1 DS turning one and stick to my previous thinking of having just 1 child or can things change?

Should I push my DH for a second child? Isn't it unfair for our child to be alone if and when we are gone…?? Especially we being immigrants and doesn't have any family cousins, aunts, uncles to fall back on doesn't it make it a bit better for my DS to cope have a sibling?

Please be honest and tell me what I am not seeing or seeing and yet neglecting to consider.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016

2. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Having 2 kids is always good and have positive impact on the family atmosphere as a whole.But since your 1st kid is 1 year old.i would suggest plan for second one after a couple of years-after 1st one turns 3 or 4.You can get pregnant event after 35.

sindmani and blindpup10 like this.
  3. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

Hey @blindpup10 ,
    It is natural to think about having another child. Are you single child in your family or do you have siblings ? I believe that when one has a sibling it can make you want an another child. As you mentioned that you are in your early 30's, the age factor is in your favor too.
    I feel that only things to be thought are ---
    1. do you want to take some break from being STH mom and make some advances on your career ?
    2. Financially are you and dh ok to have another kid ?
    3. The age gap between 2 kids.
    4. Making your body healthy again before even considering option for 2nd child

I have a sibling brother and my husband is a single child in his family. Being a big sister to my little brother I am pro-second child, provided hubby agrees, impact on financial, career, personal life, health is considered.
    Would like to confess here, that while I am expecting one kid this year I do want to have another kid. Do not know if it would be possible for us biologically, financially etc. But I do have a second child on my wishlist. Sorry, I am getting shameless and blunt.
    These are my personal views and I do not know whether I will want to have another kid after having first one, just shared my opinions.
    Do take your time to figure it out :)

blindpup10 likes this.
  4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@JGVR- Yea I know I can wait till 35. Just not sure how my body will bounce back after pregnancy. I strongly believe 2 children are ideal for immigrants. Its just not fair for the children to live in a world with no family support when parents are gone. Especially when life throws mega balls of fire.

@Avanti30-dont be sorry. I really appreciate your input. I too have a sister. Growing up was much easier coz of my sister.
    I think I should focus on myself getting healthy and financially ready for a second child. I really hope I am doing the right thing.

The joy my DS has brought me in spite of struggles and wah wah moments... is something I want in my life.

momsky likes this.