1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How Did You Change Your Last Name In Us?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by abcd5, Mar 20, 2020.

1. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

We don’t have any specific last name and we use our husband’s/father’s first name as our last name. Now I want to change my last name from my dad’s first name to my husband’s first name. Few weeks back I called the SS and SSO, but they said I can only do it through the court name change process. Can anyone share your experience? Did you go through the court process?

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I have not changed my name after marriage. Still use my father's first name as my last name. I like it that way.

But my husband and kids changed name after we became US citizens. A name change can be requested during citizenship application procedure. Its easy. His initial was expanded to his father's first name in his passport. His first name and last name is though to pronounce by people here. So he changed his first to shorted one also added his family name as the last name.

But for my kids, us citizens by birth, we used my dh's first name as their last name.. So once dh got citizenship we applied at the court nearby for changing their last name to family name. You need to fill forms and give fees for it along with required evidence and notarized forms if needed. They will give a time for appearing in the court. So you have to be there.,then judge will ask you a few questions. For example reasons for changing your name. Then he/she will sign an order and you get it on the same day if I remember correctly. That will be effective within two weeks. Then we need to go social security office to update Ss card. Use those documents to get new passport or new birth certificates if needed etc...

In my opinion, if you are not a US citizen, and plan to go for it, you can change your name like my dh did.

But if you are already a us citizen, you need to proceed your case like we did for our kids.
    Good luck

More information can be found online

Name Changes Laws by State – Name Change

Can I change my name when applying for US Citizenship? | U.S. Immigration FAQ

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    abcd5 likes this.
  3. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much for a detailed reply. I am a naturalized citizen, and in that time I was not planning to change my name. Recently one of my friend related my last name and some health issues, and from that day onward I lost my peace of mind so I am looking for options to change my last name. Once corona-virus settle down, I will check with my county court. Thank you!!!