1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Are Divorcees Treated At Work In India

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by madras2018, Aug 3, 2016.

1. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I was wondering how divorcees experience their workplace in India. Referring to MNC organizations in India.

- Are coworkers curious to know your marital status ?
    - Do they treat or talk to a woman differently when they hear of a woman's divorced status ?
    - Do women experience discomfort on a regular basis at work because of their divorced status ?

I'm hoping people watching this forum can share some insights.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Caide likes this.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

One of my very good friend is a divorcee..
    Two problems which she faces..

1)guys,especially married/way younger try to propose to her sexually
    2)She loves dressing up and more than women,Men gossip about that

3. madras2018

That's weird ! What is it with divorced women that makes men think they are desperate or promiscuous ?

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

What I heard from her and from general opinions are..

some men feel divorced women would want sex,since they do not have their man with them.
    Also,even today the fact remains married women are off limits.this is not always true in some cases but on an average.
    As my friend quoted,single women especially divorced women might find it difficult to find another men due to their past history so some men think they need sexual satisfaction.This is very sad.

Also,this is not a case just for divorcees.The same with widows and spinsters.soe crappy men think they are sexually deprived and so they will be OK with anything.My mom is a widow in her young age and she had to face such pain from even sixty year olds..

madras2018 likes this.
  5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I fee so bad for your mom and get angry about the mind sets those men have,

What should she do, stop living? what are they expecting?
    Mindset has to change that, women should always under the wings of -father, or H, or son.

anika987, madras2018 and blindpup10 like this.
  6. madras2018

@KashmirFlower I think it's going beyond the concept of patriarchy. It's bordering on sexual harassment and assuming that a separated woman is easy prey. It assumes that she has no standards/ is sexually available/ is promiscuous / is a woman of loose morals / is an easy sexual prey given that there is no man to challenge him. Disgusting !

7. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Absolutely agree with @anika987. Yes, Divorcee's are treated more or less how she has explained. Even separated women with children are always treated more or less like a sexual object. The sad story of the current generation- which follows the beliefs that they can't trace the roots.

Yes, co-workers are curious about marital status. This is pretty common in India to ask about marital status, our society just allows a private question to be taken as a common knowledge of the public.
    I wouldn't say they would face discomfort day to day- but there might be unpleasant experience. I think it also depends on the city.

vaidehi71 and anika987 like this.
  8. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

A distant cousin gets cold shoulder for her straight forward no- nonsense attitude at work. She works in a manufacturing industry and a leader of a team comprised of men young men and few women. They tend to mention that it is her attitude that led to divorce. This lady ( and I prefer to call her lady) because she choose to not take nonsense in her abusive marriage, she choose to stand for herself and she choose to raise in a career dominated mostly by men with sheer handwork and talent. Thankfully, she is not yet approached by guys with a wrong intention at work ( may be because of strict anti harassment policy at her workplace), but people's prejudice is hard to fight for her.

9. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

.....men gossip more than women.

As other rightly said, men think they have a free ticket to sex if its a divorcee or widower. I don't understand what makes them think they are so attractive to every female they meet.

a little off the topic though.....men in my office are a little weird. I am married with two kids. I have a only one good friend in office who is a guy. just coz I talk to him, men think I am ok having affairs. I am not sure how they arrived at this conclusion.

I used to have pictures of my kids and my DH on my cubicle walls. Some men come over to my desk just to stare at those pics. It was too scary for me. I just took it off. There was another instance where another guy just was insisting that he will drop me at my home in his bike.

From my experience, men don't make distinction as to whether a lady is married or not. They want to act nonsensical, they will. If my plight is as such (even when I am happily married with kids), I imagine what they might do to a person who is a divorcee/ widower.

vaidehi71 and KashmirFlower like this.
  10. Rupanzal

Rupanzal New IL'ite

Unmarried, widow, divorcee or a separated women often face this issue, at least most men want to have a go for them, they think or convince themselves that these women must be desperate, and that they are doing a favour offering themselves.

They hardly have any concern for their (women) feelings or if that they may not even be interested, the problem is the men are interested and there is nothing to lose for trying a little.

It is as if it is the women's fault that they are a divorced or separated from their husbands.
    I wonder if and ever the mindset of the men will ever change, irrespective of their age or place.

KashmirFlower likes this.