How all we can save money From daily rountine??

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by rosy786, Dec 16, 2011.

1. rosy786

rosy786 IL Hall of Fame

all prices In TN went high...so how all we can save money from daily rountines??

Im a newly married and so need help from all seniors and juniors to share us useful tips

2. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

This is a very good thread and I don't know why nobody replied.

* First and foremost is reducing eating outside.It is good for our stomach and purse.

* Buying seasonal vegetables and fruits which is cheaper.

* Reducing cooking on gas by making raithas as side dishes .You will also have the benefits of raw veggies

* Maintain a diary.Whenever you need anything write it and then while shopping, buy those things which are only in that diary.By this routine you are avoiding impulsive purchase.

* Switch off all the electrical appliances when not in use.Switch off the TV main plug whenever not in use.This reduces your electric bill considerably.(my personal experience)

* I think nowadays people are spending money more than necessary on clothes.Think of the days when we were small kids.With three new dresses per year { birthday, deepavali,pongal}we were so happy and contented.But now even after spending thousands on dresses,accessories we are not satisfied.Spend less on clothes.Instead buy one gm or even half gram of gold.

* Keep your kitchen provision items once in a while under sun.This prevents them from getting spoiled.Unknowingly,we are wasting money by stocking a lot of vegetables in fridge and leave them unnoticed for a long period of time .Simply we throw them out and stock another set of veggies.Learn proper way of storing vegetables and spices.

Other I lites,share your way of saving money on daily routine.

28 people like this.
  3. rosy786

rosy786 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you dear for the tips

2 people like this.
  4. rosy786

rosy786 IL Hall of Fame

It is very helpful

1 person likes this.
  5. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

whenever we want to buy a new thing, think twice or thrice, whether it is necessary or how to postpone for some time.

Before buying a thing, check with minimum 3shops, you will get an idea or price difference.

Nowadays it is become the fashion to go for shopping complex and buying the things. instead we can buy the things from the normal shop. we can save atleast some money.

3 people like this.
  6. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

Cook at home : If both the husband and wife work, this is likely to be very difficult. Start out with the habit of cooking at home and slowly increase the frequency until you find a balance between saving money and getting stressed out.

Make a list before going shopping: They call it impulse buying for a reason. Humans simply have a very tough time resisting the temptation to purchase extras while shopping. Without a list you will buy items that you simply do not need. Even worse is when your forget to purchase the actual item you came to the store for in the first place. Getting all that you need in one trip can help avoid another unnecessary trip and temptation.

Go grocery shopping while you are in a hurry: Maybe you need to go out in a couple of hours. Or your favorite show is going to be on TV after a couple of hours. Try to squeeze in the grocery trip in that intermediate time. Armed with your grocery list, you should be in-and-out very quickly with little time for meandering and getting tempted to buy things you don’t need.

Watch out for expiration dates on perishable goods: This one seems intuitive when you read it, but I am surprised at how many people do not pay attention to expiry dates. No point getting a gallon of milk if it is going to turn sour with a couple of days. Same goes for meat, eggs, yogurt, spreads, frozen items, deli/bakery items etc. Some people say you can use a few items a few days after expiry – but I personally value my health more than money and would rather avoid buying such items in the first place.

Buy in bulk whenever possible: When it comes to non-perishable items, buy in bulk whenever you find something on sale. The items usually stock up on are, cereals, tinned goods, rice, beans, pasta, coke, toothpaste, body wash, shampoo, etc.

Consolidate and pay off debt as soon as possible: If you carry any debt, focus on consolidating it to a lower interest and paying it off as soon as possible. Money paid in interest is money thrown away! Why spend your hard-earned cash to make the financial institutions rich?

Pay your bills on time and avoid late fees: Get organized about your regular bills. If possible, automate the payments. Most utilities and other recurring bills can be set to be charged to a credit card or deducted from a checking account these days. Also, many banks offer free bill pay programs. So there really is no excuse for forgetting to pay a bill on time and forking out the late fees. Say, by chance you do forget a bill, if you are a first time offender, call the company and request politely to waive the late fees, and more likely than not, they will oblige.

Avoid ATM fees: Be aware of the ATM withdrawal fees charged by your bank. While some banks waive fees for all ATM transactions on any ATM machine, most don’t. So be sure to use only those ATM machines where your bank will not charge the fees, or withdraw directly at your bank.

Price check before buying anything expensive: For other items that are expensive, do a price check before buying the item. If you can wait for a while you can track the prices and grab a great deal when it comes along. Frequently available online coupons make it even more easy to save some money. This is especially true while purchasing any electronics.

Avoid impulse buying: Make it a habit to avoid impulse buying. Many of the things you want to buy do not seem all that necessary, if you only you wait for a day or two. Also, waiting means you will be able to check prices and make an informed decision to buy it at the best possible price.

Do regular scheduled maintenance on your vehicles: Do not skimp on or forget to do regular oil changes. Remember to check the air in your tires often. And use the grade of fuel that the owner’s manual recommends. These small acts can significantly lengthen the life of your car, giving you years of use.

Plan vacations ahead of time: Vacations are a necessary part of saving our sanity in the busy lives that we lead. But vacations are also a huge drain on the family finances. You can cut the cost of a vacation significantly by planning and booking ahead of time. Bookmark travel sites for finding inexpensive airfare, hotel etc., and book at least two weeks in advance.

Finally, keep distance from lavish, high-roller friends: If you have lavish friends who buy a new car every other year (or worse still, lease it), have large screen TVs and every other conceivable electronics gadget, eat out at fancy restaurants every other night and just live way beyond their means, keep the distance. They may be nice people and mean you no harm, but hanging out with such people often can lead to a lot of unnecessary desires and discontent. What’s more important – your friends or your peace of mind?

These are some points I found in google. Most of the points you know it well. Other than these points if you come across please let us know. Happy savings.

11 people like this.
  7. Sanjithra

Sanjithra Bronze IL'ite

Kishoremommy and g3sudha.... Awesome...:thumbsup

Adding to the points above..

1) When shopping for baby/toddler items, inquire the friends who have kids in the same age/elder to yours.
    They will tell you what to buy and what not to.. As new mothers, we are excited and we want to buy everything that looks good for our little ones.. All those branded items are very costly.. But, not all are going to be useful...

2) Try to buy gadgets during festive season/New Year Sale, when there are offers/discounts.

3) As KishoreMommy had pointed out, now-a-days clothing seems to eat up a good sum of money.. We go with a budget of 3K.. But end up paying 6K or more... Impulsive buying as usual.. Adding to that when we buy Salwar material which costs around 800 bucks, lining cloth + Tailoring charges are add on.. :bonk So, I buy mix and match now-a-days.. I have white, black, pink, green,brown, blue etc., colored salwar bottoms(with gathering).. I use them for Churidhars as well as Kurthas.. It saves me the Tailoring costs n looks good also.. Every morning 'the Creative Me' brings a new office wear from my wardrobe.. :)

Just my 2 cents.

I get a feeling of playing 'Treasure Hunt', the moment I enter a grocery store.. I become a bit excited too.. How many of you feel like that?? :hide:

Tried to control that impulsive shopping and now-a-days tried a round-about plan and Am sending DH and DS for grocery shopping... They dont buy even a single thing other than that in the list.. :cheers

7 people like this.
  8. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Sanjithra, you are lucky.Whenever I send my DH,he comes home carrying a lot of biscuits,chocolates,wafers,choco corn flakes(thanks to my elder son), but my son is never allowed to take such snacks for school.His class teacher has told all the children to bring fruits,veggies,salads,peanut burfis for snacks.:clap

So,DH and DS end up eating all these biscuits after dinner time on the pretext of "they will go waste."__such an unhealthy habit.:rant

Your idea of mix and match is good and that is what we have been doing.Not only for me but for my DH and DS also.DS need not wear uniform up to 5th std.So,we bought black,white,khaki,blue jeans pants and a few half trousers.All of them somewhat bigger in size as children grow very fast.A few shirts are enough as I keep on matching with different colors on rotation basis.:idea

Many families pay a huge sum of money for telephone bills thanks to the number of cell phones in a house.We always use our land line to talk.Due to the mobility comfort we spend a lot of time talking through the cell phone.Some with head phones,some walking,some even lying in bed comfortably without knowing the amount of time spent.:notthatway:

When we are using land line ,we spend only a little time and this is better than harmful cell phone radiation.Besides,Landlines provide free calls also.

Enrolling children and yourself in a nearby library helps you to spend time in a useful way.This way ,the number of times you would go for outings will definitely be reduced.You are getting knowledge also.:coffee

Simple tips but they help you in saving money.:):)

10 people like this.
  9. rosy786

rosy786 IL Hall of Fame

NICE TIPS KISHORE mUMMY and Sanjithra

1 person likes this.
  10. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Thank you all for the wonderful tips..