1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Houses Construction And Rooms

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by sanjuruby3, May 13, 2016.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Here comes another thread about homes/construction from me. Now that we are in process of looking houses to buy, I see every house with different eyes and evaluate every thing.

Anyways .. I was at friends place, 2 big kids, they had really huge place and very well maintained. Now I put my self in their new house, I can not maintain big space. I am not creative person. They had really huge rooms + perfect type of furniture in it ( like in movies or magazines)

so I think pros/cons of these features. What do you think?

~ Multi-storey home (3+) = We do not find 3 rooms homes in 2 stories. DH likes to have 2 stories. For that we have upped to 4+ rooms :-(. I do not care, Infact overhead of cleaning, old age, unsafe for kid etc But I think 2 stories would help saving in electricity atleast. Is it?
    ~ Room size = I think 1 room should be big atleast for guests/parties. Smaller room I think saves heating bills. But either we see houses with all big rooms or all small rooms. But again we are not party people So I find same space separate in tiny rooms to create more rooms or huge rooms. There is no balance.
    What is your pick?
    ~ Basement = I do not see much value/money difference in finished or unfinished basement ( cemented) basement . I think I want to leave it just cemented, not wood flooring etc so we can do any wet/paint etc kind of jobs easily. Does it help? any opinions
    ~ front porch = from important factor, it has become non important to me now as I found out how it makes homes dark/shady and cool and I will be lucky I can see sun for 2 months.

~ backyard = I really needed some privacy here, hidden with trees/high fence so I can hang out sheets/carpets on deck etc. But unless I move to very old house or out skirts,I donot get fencing or hiding. People can drink on backyard deck but not hand clothes atleast sheets. Strange country.
    Good is our old India..everyone has freedom to do everything.

~ Curtains - I noticed everyone has plain net/tulle/thin curtains not thick/blackout curtains. Why?

We are 3 and do not need big space but I wish there are was custom home making machine.

Vaikuntha likes this.

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@sanjuruby3 ,
    Thanks for this post, Now i am thinking in this lines and creating list for what i want in new house. Below are my thoughts on Ur points.

~ Multi-storey home (3+) : Cleaning get to done my others once a week or once in 2 weeks. For old age or parents make sure at least one bedroom and full bath is there in 1st floor. Safety for kids first time moms think too much. In out home we have gates for the stairs, but once we visited out friends place they have 4 year old DD and 18 months ds. There house had no gates for stairs , when i asked them they said, "that is all for first born for the second its not needed. For the 1st ur are protective for 2nd u know its their way of growing up and give them space."

~ Room size: I prefer big and spacious once

~ Basement: I don't like it, with floods in Houston nowadays its a bad idea for us.

~ front porch: Not important for me

~ backyard: You can always build a fence if you would like to for privacy. In here we get them fenced so not issue for me. I need it to be ventilated and as i plan to have garden.

~ Curtains: I haven't seen good quality ones here. I bough them from India, nice thick once, with bright colors and fancy designs.

~ Kitchen: I need nice big and spacious one with lots of cabinets, Island or breakfast bar. I would also like to have back yard or porch door near kitchen so that the smell doesn't spread in the house.

I think can get a custom home with builders or look for customization to existing plans , if you would like to. But it might be costly.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  3. sanjuruby3

Somehow I do not find combinations of good/best features anywhere. With in right price, i have to compromise many places.
    ~Home itself: if overall home is good, it is in poor school district.
    ~Bathrooms: No home had 1 bath ( 3/4 bath) in 1st floor for disability/old age. Bedrooms are anyways never on 1st floor but for old aged parents, we can convert any room.
    ~Kitchen Size: Homes that I like for kitchen (big kitchen) are also big and too too many rooms ( 4+ Br sand other extra) :-( . Will keep giving my BP to fill them or temp.

~Basements : I hate those dark dingy smelly places too but can not avoid.

I am tired of looking houses now. I know people take yrs to find right house but me and H do not have lot of patience. I do not know what should i do at this point.

Send her to private and buy home in avg school dist because homes are in range. It also increases my commute by 20 mins? I wanted my options open in terms of school but i think i can'nt have win win.

Cool10 and Vaikuntha like this.
  4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@sanjuruby3
    House searching is big thing to find good one. If you are okay with sending to private and think twice, Private is very costly and there could be peer pressure too. Here for us in some school districts public is better than private.
    For us school district and schools are important, i can adjust few things in house to get him to good schools. Once schooling is done, we can sale it and move to a dream house for old age. Good schools always have better prices. There my thoughts for now.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  5. sanjuruby3

I agree with you @viki123 But my H is chasing homes and throwing emotion or anger bombs on me. I was comparing private fees last night and those are just too much, plus not in our way to work/office. Then he gives examples of indian people living/studying in avg/below school distt and excelling.

In my region top school distt do not have community or Indian community at all.

6. sanjuruby3

Home we are looking is on hill and most unusable land on front, because of on hill, highly steep slope. Also driveway is really strange,really really steep and not good. I can not drive my car up myself. So snow days are going to be very difficult and we would need pros to shovel up ofcourse. but H is hell bent on that house but I am scared of making decision. Then house might have radon emission as they had big radon mitigation system

7. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

This is any day deal breaker for us. Currently, house market is really good, but when the market goes down, the houses in good school districts usually doesn't go down that bad. Even if it's for investment purposes, when the housing market is good, we should not buy houses in a poor school district.

viki123 and Lathasv like this.
  8. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

I am liking the discussion. Tired of a small town house rental.

I will be following. Don't pay much attention to what I write, as I try to figure out the various kinds of house.

I would like in mine:

A side walk, big closets, ground floor room will be nice, nice school district,
    3 or 4 bedrooms, kitchen with big chef hood to take care of food smell, kitchen space big on outer wall,
    Lots of sunlight in house, not a south facing, basement finished...

9. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Till now we have been to 5-6 open houses. Our criteria for house is minimum is 3 or 4 bedrooms, open floor plan, finished basement, two car garage, good subdivision no HOA fess, small drive way so that we don't end up shoveling whole lot, a nice size back-yard, wooden flooring at least on main level, good size walk-in closet.

10. sanjuruby3

@aspha @viki123 @hermitcab
    Thanks for opening. Were you able to find your dream houses? I think there is no inventory right now. Some homes we have been chasing on internet have been gone in days. Even though we are getting desparate now, but I think right thing is to wait till right home comes.

Which ever home is see has some problem that i can not agree? if not, then money.

Anyways any comments about resellability of diagonal homes on a plot. So I noticed, homes on corner have smallest plot so to take max out of it, builder constructed home diaogonally which means less front yard and even lesser backyard as it has deck etc. But advantage is - it gets more light and air from both sides :)
    What do you think ?