House Warming And Periods

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by EagerForInfo, Dec 22, 2018.

1. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

It is not easy to avoid such situations. If I were you, I would just stay away from the pooja area but attend the ceremony. I don't think it would be odd in front of the relatives because most people understand the issue. Nobody will question the same. But if you feel embarrassed about it, then it's a different question. People are usually engrossed in the ceremony, nobody will see why there is someone sitting separately. You could skip the ceremony and go for the lunch if there is one, so that your cousin won't feel that you skipped the celebrations.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I would be careful with this. Even if the cousin is okay the elders might not be.

3. NaiveLady

NaiveLady Senior IL'ite

Tomorrow is my cousins housewarming. And I flew all the way across th country for it. But now got periods. Can I still attend. ? If so can I just stay away from pooja area? Of course that will be odd in front of relatives. Sheesh. Or should I just avoid it altogether ?[/QUOTE]

That is a tricky situation to be in especially given that you took the effort and time to fly all the way there for this! I personally don't believe in restrictions on attending ceremonies (yes, including religious ones) during periods, as it is after all a natural process, happens every month without our control unless we either take something to prepone/postpone or get pregnant or reach menopausal age, and besides, we have ways to keep ourselves clean in spite of it in this day and age. But unfortunately others, especially older relatives, may feel otherwise, regardless of how your cousin feels. (My MIL also strongly believes one should stay away during that time, and my mother doesn't but would still have us avoid the pooja area during this time only due to the presence of a priest who will be conducting the puja, as he probably believes in that). What you are suggesting, in terms of just staying away from pooja area, seems to be a reasonable compromise, hope it works out that way for you!