1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

House Love: Moving A Home In India 1,500 Miles To Save It.

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by Umanga, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to share this article I just came across: "House Love: Moving a Home in India 1,500 Miles to Save It" (You can google it, IL is not letting me post URLs)

I find it difficult to accomplish the smallest and most insignificant tasks in India, so when I read something like this I can't help but be moved.

That a man who does not even live in India could have his ancestral home moved to a farm on the outskirts of Delhi is something that is quite beyond my comprehension. I do not understand how people in India manage to do these things.

It helps if one is rich and powerful and has friends, but still. In India, I have found opposition meets one at every turn. So for somebody to think of and accomplish something so radical is to leave me with a sense of awe and wonder.

Despite all the poverty in India one does find rare instances of people fighting for beauty, fighting for things that have no immediate pecuniary benefit and being allowed to get away with it. This other India exists, we just have no access to it.

It reminds me somewhat of Anu_Global's posts on R2IndiaClubForums. This lady had decided to return to India with her husband and sons. She came from a normal middle class family. Although she was from Delhi, they decided to R2I to Hyderabad for various reasons. After some false starts, they ended up renting a home in Banjara Hills. She was shocked. In her own words, "It was beautiful - landscaping, quality of construction, and at one place on the hill, you could see whole city. When I sent few pics to my friends abroad, they were amazed to see that such a neat and cleanly place with this kind of nice landscaping even exists in India!!Family member were also surprised to see such place in India! No problem of water or electricity at all J. Such communities are like oases in the desert of “real” India ;)."

I couldn't agree more. And I too was shocked when I read this article. The house is absolutely beautiful. It is made from beautiful dark wood throughout, so spacious and clean. Most people in the West would consider themselves lucky if they could live in a house like this. As I said, this other India exists, we just have no access to it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017