1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

House cleaning tips and organizing

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by prakruti, Jun 24, 2005.

1. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

marble flooring cleaning suggestions required :(

i have marble flooring in my house inclusive all bathrooms also wht marble my problem is i have tried all kinds of washing powders, acids ,bleaches shampoos, lisol ,harpic ,vinegar, keronsene, s8 ,mutlipurpose cleaners frm hln (cudnt try bang bcz its not adviced for marble flooring :)) )and wot not but am unhappy wht the dirty staining of marble i sometimes feel i did mistake using marble
    planning to get another grinding done but am afraid if its going to be too smooth my mother in lw who is 75 yrs old might fumble on the flooring so havent taken mirror polish
    pl give me easy methods of cleaning marble easily and making my work easy
    :)

Belacar likes this.
  2. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Hi all of you poor NRI dears !
    Your posts made me raise my hands heavenwards and thank the lord for my housemaid ! Mera Bharat Mahan !
    VS

3. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

ya ya.. we are the poor NRIs dreaming that someday we'll also have maids waiting on us hand and foot.. :rotfl Hope it comes sooner..

Belacar, lgirish, Gae3 and 2 others like this.
  4. Vijayarahini

Vijayarahini Bronze IL'ite

Hi good ideas...thanks friends. I need one help. Is there any possibility to get rid of ants in kitchen sink areas and carpets corners. It's not fire ants but black ones. Insects like roach too comes from sink sometimes as ts comon pipeline in flats.

Belacar likes this.
  5. RealtyCorp

RealtyCorp New IL'ite

Hello Friends,

I guess house cleaning can be done with your Hubby support... He can do the Dusting & Cleaning of Furniture and you will have to do the rest with out choice :)..

Belacar likes this.
  6. jasenilaa

jasenilaa Senior IL'ite

Hi vijayarahini..
    For kitchen sink cleaning try using baking soda + hot water / bit of vinegar rinse , as a final cleaning step, this will unblock the drain, so that it will not attract unwanted guests :bang ..we had this problem earlier and this works well at least to maintain it clean now, if not completely..try this even for cleaning hob hoods too.

--Jase

Belacar, jojoattu and Vijayarahini like this.
  7. Kungumam

Kungumam Gold IL'ite

Like many friends here my hubby also helps me in cleaning the house...
    I do the ground floor and he does the first.
    Some days he does the washer dryer and I do the ironing...

Belacar likes this.
  8. sgurram

sgurram New IL'ite

I am a newly wed and we made a pact that he would do the dishes/laundry/garbage removal and I would focus on cleaning/cooking since I am a bit OCD with cleaning. I used to do it once a week and I hated how it would take an entire day away. So, as someone mentioned, its all about "divide and conquer" and "sharing". My parents live here and I have seen my mom keep her 4,000 square foot house super duper clean and possibly germ free but I would always see her clean 24/7 and the occasional complaining about how she would never get help from my dad (hence my pact with the hubby). I do assign a room to each of the weekdays (sometimes sections of the room since I only have an apartment, thank god) and come Friday, I am pretty much done. I use draino (used to unclog drains) diluted with water to clean sinks, bath tubs etc. Its sodium hydroxide and used religiously is an awesome chemical for removing stains and also saves scrubbing a lot (just be careful to use very little and not breathe in the fumes and use gloves). I also use the wipes disinfectant wipes to wipe off the counters or tables etc right after I use the space. I do get lazy about cleaning once in a while but I look at it as a workout and that perspective helps and thanks to my hubby for lending a hand..its all an easy task. just my 2 cents. By the way, understand that men will never understand that they have to "voluntarily" help you with cleaning. ASK THEM and they will get the job done.

regards,
    sowmya

Belacar likes this.
  9. anjish

anjish Silver IL'ite

Friends
    i do not try to complete cleaning in one shot. I give 15 mins to each room starting from kitchen, then living room and after that any bedroom.
    After every 45 mins i give 15 mins to myself. This is my me-time. As i m not working and living in india 15 mins is enough for me. Person can change this duration according to their feasibility.
    Also initially i did 5 mins decluttering each room every day.
    May be it seems funny to you all but i made a list of items which require detail cleaning every month / week like fridge, fans, doors, windows etc. Everyday i take only one item from the list and do the detail cleaning.
    Now regarding wardrobe arrangement i applied 15 mins rule there also. I give only 15 mins to each shelf.
    Dusting is a everyday stuff for me.
    One more thing now adays i m applying to give reward to myself when i complete the detail cleaning.
    Every time we eat outside or we go for a party i clean one kitchen cabinet only one.
    Whenever i do laundry i try to fold and place the cloths to their respective place immediately after drying up the clothes.

By doing all these things now my things are coming under my control.

Belacar likes this.
  10. Belacar

Belacar Bronze IL'ite

As other member Ladies have put it,
    Divide work,put it in bits and pieces for various days.
    I myself routinely spread the work for each week day, e.g Every alternate day sweeping and washing floor. Wipe all furniture doors etc..on Thursdays. Laundry floor, wiping done by my dh. Cooking, Dishes, throwing garbage I manage....
    If you schedule and time everything works well. I know at times even I feel like not doing a household chore it gets boring...
    But in between I watch TV..
    Do some sewing...surf the internet.

And keep time. .my Dad used to always say
    "Time And Tide Wait for No-Man"....
    And it holds true for us adults. .

Also do what you like doing...:blush: