1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Hours Of Sleep Needed For Someone 70+

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ChennaiExpress, Jan 10, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Yesterday my Dad went to Dr (Internal Medicine) and chronic insomnia was an issue that came up. If Dad's lucky he get's 3 hours sleep straight.

Alas, it is only light sleep.

Plus he gets up to use restroom 3, 4 times a night.

Dr said Dad needs at least 5 hours at his age.

To be safe, Dad wanted to reconfirm.

When I google, I get vague results .... please advise
    - this site says old people need as much sleep as young people, How much sleep does an elderly person need? - AgingCare.com
    - reasons seniors don't get sleep, but no guidelines, Why seniors are often sleep deprived
    - this site I never heard of says 7 to 8 hours, How Much Sleep Do I Need? Why Do We Sleep?

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Anyone should sleep at least 6-7hrs to be healthy. Age is not factor I guess. My dad who is about to be 70 has good sleeping cycle. Touchwood. Your father has medical or psychological issue which needs to be treated. Don't find answers in google, you might end up wasting your time and getting even more confused.
    There are some Delta music for insomania available in YouTube which needs to be played when he goes to sleep, it runs for hours, so put phone on charging in his room. Hope it works at least for few hours for your dad.

ChennaiExpress, Thyagarajan and Naari like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Irrespective of age, There is no universal or empirical formula for finding out sleeping duration required.
    2. whereas it greatly depends on so many factors including individual's psyche, domestic peace, activities in wakeful hours, type and time of food and beverage one takes during the day and before retiring to bed, bladder strength etc., exercises yoga included, viewing TV in later part of the day ( market conditions in cases where person dabbles in stock market), frequency one changes the bedcover and pillow covers and blanket, type of hair oil etc.,
    3. In Rem sleep - just couple of hours of sleep is enough to keep body going for next twenty four hours.:kissingheart:
    4. Sherpas over seventy happily climbs mountains without sleep;
    5. vegetarian liquid food before 3 hours to bed, a glass of warm milk with pinch of turmeric and candy an hour before going to bed or and warm bath, chanting greatly helps one to induce sleep. listening to very light keerthanas in certain ragas ( neelambari and reethigowlai in Carnatic music) also seemed to be doing wonders for curing insomnia.
    Regards.
    Happy New Year.

ChennaiExpress and MonikaSG like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello:as a post scrip,t I wish to add that in simple terms if circadian rhythm i.e. internal clock in the body is disturbed, the sleep pattern changes for good or bad. Uncle or brother google can be searched for more information - search words < circadian rhythm >. one has to closely observe past 24 hour activities of the individual to determine what exactly affects circadian rhythm.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

:hello:as a post scrip,t I wish to add that in simple terms if circadian rhythm i.e. internal clock in the body is disturbed, the sleep pattern changes for good or bad. Uncle or brother google can be searched for more information - search words < circadian rhythm >. one has to closely observe past 24 hour activities of the individual to determine what exactly affects circadian rhythm.

6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Talk to your doc about melatonin, it’s even given to pediatric patients .

Thyagarajan and ChennaiExpress like this.
  7. Agniamber11

Agniamber11 Bronze IL'ite

If there is a Sleep Lab in your city, get your father checked. They will monitor his sleeping patterns and also find out if he has Sleep Apnea issues.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  8. ChennaiExpress

I'll research this delta music, Hope he is willing to try.

And yes he does have lot of worry!

9. ChennaiExpress

I'll mention all this to Dad. He struggles with keeping a schedule. Will help him.

10. ChennaiExpress

circadian rhythm... will research this,