1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hotstar Tales - Why I Cannot Watch The World Cup In Peace Anymore :-)

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by winterhue, Jun 5, 2019.

1. winterhue

winterhue Gold IL'ite

I live in the US, and being the cricket fanatic that I am - this year I promised myself that the world cup will be watched uninterrupted and in good quality (unlike previous years, where we went to shady websites that streamed it live and then there would be all kinds of pop up ads and virus left overs :) )

So, I paid the hotstar subscription and was enjoying the world cup, when there pops up a seemingly "sanskari" ad for SBI NRI accounts. The premise of the ad is of a family preparing for the wedding of the daughter of the family. Seems happy till now? Not so much.

The son is taking loans (car/home) from US easily, thanks to the SBI NRI services, so that his parents can enjoy.The girl is buying designer lehangas and calling her brother , who is more than happy to pay for it because - you guessed it, SBI NRI accounts.

The whole premise shows the son (no surprises, he is SINGLE), is pretty much being thrown into debt for the extravagance whereas the sister and parents are happily spending it away. Why not show an ad where an NRI girl tells her parents not to worry about wedding expenses because she has got it all covered? OR an ad where the parents advice their son not to take a car loan and instead invest in the different savings options the NRI accounts offer?
    Am I being TOO touchy? Or like my husband says, am i being a "outrage on the drop of a hat" feminist?
    Anyone on my side here?

Bubbles, jillcastle, Radha99 and 5 others like this.

Similar Threads
    1. balakrish
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Rihana
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. swasal
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I am on your side. But why are you watching the ad's?
    I got outraged at how they made the commenting woman wear a miniskirt, while the two other guys in the innings-break show are not asked to show their legs.
    [​IMG]

:astonished::astonished:What's the deal, I ask .......
    And the clever one sez.... look at the floor, dear. It is totally reflecting.
    And in the UK, they had recently passed a strict law against upskirting.

And then I go and look it up via google. And indeed in England and Wales, there is a new law. In Scotland ( upkilting ? :tonguewink:?) it is already a criminal offence. She has to align her knees one in front of the other so that we won't see the reflection in the floor.

Link: The law on upskirting, and why campaigners are calling for tougher rules

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

@Amulet ....that one loves the leg show....:)
    Usually dresses like a school girl.

The cross legging is the standard pose to look less broad....it is constant whether in the shiny floor studio or the stadium grass.

@winterhue
    SBI represents the traditional bank.
    What is tradition if not the son carrying his family on his shoulders while they dance all over him.

The sponges do not need an ad to squeeze the juice out of the son .....that is sanskar of the son.

May be a multinational bank will be more progressive.

SinghManisha likes this.
  4. winterhue

winterhue Gold IL'ite

@Amulet - I am not watching the ads out of will , they are EVERYWHERE (pretty much like trump's London visit :)) I try to mute/look away, but I'm "working" remote today, and that does not involve having the remote to the tv handy always to mute it :)
    Thanks for the link.. Already reading all about it.

@yellowmango - what a brilliant idea. Maybe I should email the newere ones to get a counter ad , i would SURELY open an NRI account with them if they did. Zero balance of course :)

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My DH and I are totally on your side. We find most of the Indian origin ads terribly annoying. I like the ones where the son or daughter sends money for a genuine old-parents emergency. This lehenga buying sister kind are so outdated.

I guess today was India's first match? I heard the TV go on at an ungodly hour.

@Amulet was the female commentator Isa Guha? If so, she is a highly well-accomplished woman. Academics and sports. I've read her interviews where she described going for the practices and also the decision to quit.

SinghManisha likes this.
  6. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

India won the first match..:thumbup:

SinghManisha, Rihana and yellowmango like this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana ...Guha is classy. She is an English ex- cricketer.

I think she meant Mayanti Langer standing cross legged on a shiny studio floor. She did that the whole of ipl and no one noticed it. Upskirting is not so common in India....other stuff is but not heard too much about upskirting.

Mayanti is a sports anchor .... Also married to the cricketer Stuart Binny.
    She is good at what she does but has a pretty bad / strange sense of dressing....or may be a bad stylist.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

i hadn't paid that much attention to the goings on. Went to sleep after that innings-break thing. I heard that India won that match.
    Spanish TV programs always have girls in tighty-tight garments, and totally distracting from the whatever they were reporting on:

I just noticed that today in the innings break of the game Aus vs. WestIndies, the girl is allowed to wear pants.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    SinghManisha likes this.
  9. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

I am totally on your side.

This ad reeks of age old customs and crazy cultural norms thats making women look weak and dependent.

Can the girl work and get her own lehengas ??? yes she can

winterhue and SinghManisha like this.
  10. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

My World Cup subscription comes with PREM Jyotish ads. Have you seen those ? The “ I can look at your stars and you will be pregnant ( even before I finish spelling Jupiter) ” kinds.
    Both PREM Jyotish and the girl wearing Karz wala lehenga are a still a part of Indian reality, even if we choose to be enraged or deny it.

yesican, Amulet and winterhue like this.