Host/guest Dos & Don'ts Or Entertaining Etiquette

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Amica, Jan 12, 2017.

1. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

But that will not work for all. You know, everyone is not a great cook, some know, just idly, pongal and sambar ( ahem!)

Amica, jskls and peartree like this.
  2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha it will be a tedious task to attach recipe with menu ....

These days we couple of understanding families pick a restaurant and eat out sharing the cost equally. 4-6 families works and not more

3. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

I don't claim to know the exact circumstances, but could it be possible that the American was specifically invited because he is an 'outsider to our culture' and will need more guidance than us 'insiders'? As in, when we have friends and cousins at home, we invite the friends to eat but don't feel the need to invite cousins as they are one of us. Just expand the concept and there might not be much offense in his actions. JMHO.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I'll take idly, pongal and sambar! [​IMG]

BTW, by my definition, Instant Pot expert = great cook. :)

JustAnotherMom and jskls like this.
  5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I do appreciate your approach but a simple nodding of head would have been enough for me. He just looked at me and went past. I was not comfortable. Anyway Thanks for bringing in different perspective:)

Amica likes this.
  6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

+1. This is exactly what went in my mind as well. But then I refrained from saying it because I was making too many assumptions about how close the OP and her host were etc. But this is exactly the perspective I looked at it from as well.

Our potluck parties are pretty noisy affairs. We don't have a set menu or anything and throw it open for everyone to bring whatever they want. There is no compulsion that everyone bring something. There's usually enough food for everyone and then some.

Amica likes this.
  7. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

The other day I was hosting a dinner at a nearby park/hall. When dinner was laid, I went to the ladies and invited them to serve themselves and begin the buffet. Husband had gone home to get the ice cream and yogurt I had forgotten in the fridge. I told one of the women to request her husband also to join, she looked this way that, went and returned saying they are chatting, they will come. A couple of minutes later, I went and told to gentlemen to join in. They just smiled and nodded. Husband returned, and was helping me with the lids, when this lady came and said, tell your husband to invite them now. I was taken by surprise but husband was cool (obviously he doesn't know what transpired) and went and invited and then they all came. I wonder if it was gender discrimination for a small thing as inviting to serve oneself at a buffet or really people come only when the husband calls them? I was host too right? Anyway, lesson learnt and next time shall be a host who knows her boundaries:)

KashmirFlower and Amica like this.
  8. rajeswarisatulu

rajeswarisatulu Senior IL'ite

"We were at a dinner party last weekend. The host had a BIG sign asking people to take their shoes off. One guest decided the request did not apply to her family. :facepalm:

She scratched up the recently refinished hardwood floor with her stilettos. Her kids trekked in wet mud and left stains all over the host's otherwise pristine rugs"

This made me visualize whole scene and made me laugh!!!

Amica likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

This sounds fun! Do you need a special permit for a party in the park?

Is it possible the men were politely waiting for your DH so they could all eat together? :)

10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for explaining. :)

rajeswarisatulu likes this.