1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Horoscopes, Astrology and Arranged Marraiges

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

My friend just called to share with me the good news that her nephew is getting engaged. She went on to say how the horoscopes matched and how the parents and the boy went to visit with the girl's family and how everything worked out smoothly. I could feel my jaw drop open! Dont get me wrong..I am all for arranged marraiges but in recent years have been to so many marraiges and none of them was arranged or even horoscpoes matched! So I just assumed matching horoscopes is becoming a thing of the past or should I say becoming OBSOLETE?? really.. could it be?
    My husband and I were matched by horoscope though in my initial years of marraige I was convinced the astrologer was a fraud (God please forgive me)..In fact now nearly 24 years after i will agree that the astrologer was none other than GOD.. in person..to arrange my marraige..enough of me and my boring story..getting back to the horoscopes and arranged marraiges..
    Is this concept still prevalent or am I totally derailed in my thinking its fading fast? Does horoscopes get drawn up when children are born?? How about marraiges.. Is parental consent as much of importance like in the past?
    When I was young the parents would be the first people from the family to visit the girl's house. Then even aunts and sisters would make the travel. Lastly the boy will get to go. In many a case decisions used to be made without the boy being present. During my time I noticed a trend ..which is that the boy MUST be present(during penn parkum visit) and the boy and girl would be allowed to TALK ! really !! No chaperones needed !!! Recently I heard , again among my younger cousins that they could go out together before wedding and again heard that horoscopes are not looked into as much nowadays..
    Those days my grandmother would first check and make sure that it is not "Ragu Kalam" before even TALKING about horoscopes or marraige! Never dream about stepping out during Ragu Kalam. That reminds me once we had to travel by train and the train departed during Ragu Kalam. SO we all got ready and packed and left the house before Ragu Kalam and sat at the Railway Station for Only 2 hours for the train to arrive. She would never dream of taking a decision as big as a marraige without consent of horoscopes. God bless her soul for that. All her talking about the rasis and planetary movements have made me somewhat familiar with the terminolgy.
    Talking with my friend really brought back these memories and I really wonder if marraiges are still arranged and how much of an influence the astrologer and astrology have on these decisions?
    Only my friends here can give me a good perspective on this subject matter!

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

years of my marriage that the astrologer who matched my horoscope with V's was a fraud ! Even now, when an arguement starts, that is the first point, I raise to him - I am not a goody, goody person, AC !
    Mine was 100 % arranged marriage - by both side parents. I first saw V only on Janavasam day - he was opposite to me in looks - very fair, very tall & (pathetically?) thin.My appa had met him & approved of him for me, impressed by his highly professional qualifications. I was seen by his parents & approved on the basis of my horoscope !
    Anyway, now over the years, I have come to the conclusion that a marriage stays ( whether arranged or self choice) only if both partners do not take eachother for granted, but work hard to make the relationship a success. It is not easy, infact far from easy.But over a period of time, mutual understanding, respect, last but not least love grow.
    I always tell myself that I am not an angel to live with.
    You raise interesting topics, AC.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Anandchitra

I am also not angel to live with dear Chithra.Totally agree that its hard work..and of the two of us he is better in patience and understanding.and better .. I now know without any doubts mine was dealt by the God I worship and as such owe a debt that can never be repaid in full..Thanks for replying..I thought no one was going to reply to this topic..

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Anandchitra
    A nice topic, I too do not believe in horoscopes and all. But it was matched. Mine too is arrange marriage I agree to what Chithra says. I think no one in this world is angel even those who give up everything and become sanyasis. Mutual understanding, trust, respect, honesty is important in relationship to be succussful.
    We are like two opposite poles he is north means I am south everything is different but still we are successful.......
    We have to work hard for it..............
    keep posting such wonderful topics.......

5. Anandchitra

Looks like we have one thing in common..that is Success dear Aruna..and it counts a lot..I see so many marraiges that do not work..or end in divorce..or just drift apart..Since you do not mention how many years you have been married lets just assume you are young sweet bride..keep blogin..

6. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

The group dear AC.
    A big "O ho!" to arranged marriage system.It'.s still very much in vogue.:hatsoff
    I strongly believe that parents get us nothing but the best and astrology in my opinion is foolproof method of landing a secure future!
    Maybe some small differences do crop up now and then but patching up is equally fast.The present generation treat their spouse as friends first.(Adiyean inclusive! )

I better stop before it becomes a sermon..shakehead

Regards
    Honeybee

7. Anandchitra

Please dont stop and its no sermon honeybee sweetiebee..I was so enjoying your post when you ended..please do post more if you find time..I am impressed a beautiful youngster like you think about arranged marraige..in a positive way..I also like the way our parents look out for "good family" and "good" boy..All these small things count..really glad you replied..keep blogin..

8. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Dear AC,
    A yet another nice topic from you.
    Yes AC,mine was a purely arranged marriage started first after matching of the horoscopes.When my parents started seeing alliances for me i told them about two things.One was the good character of the boy and the second thing was there should be a big family for them.I always love to be in a big gathering of people. In my case both got true.In my inlaws side they are a huge family and my thalai deepavali i celebrated with 25 people around.I believed in my parents more than i did on horoscopes.But still i can see many families starting with matching horoscopes.I dont think that tradition is gone.

9. Anandchitra

Glad that the tradition still exists..and you and I are proof dear Shantha..nice that you have got the big family and a good person for a husband..all our old traditions and customs have so much value in them ..glad we ar all continuing.hopefully some moght pass on to the next gen..

10. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello chitra

kannum kannum kollayadithaal
    kathal endru artham
    kattam kattam kollayadithaal
    fraud enraaa artham?
    matchum matchum kollayadithaal
    santhoshamana vaazhkay enru artham...
    purnithu konde vidaamal thodarnthaal
    anbu kottai enru artham artham artham
    sathya