Horoscopes And The Reality

Discussion in 'Astrology Numerology & More!' started by SGBV, Jan 29, 2018.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I know astrology is a belief, and there is no rights and wrongs when it comes people's faith system.
    But compromising a lot to the point of loosing yourself in the name of astrological belief is not good according to me.
    This thread is not hurt the feelings of those who believe in astrology, but this is for my understanding as astrology takes away all the intended goods of our family since I got married. That's why I am vary of this.

Nevertheless, this thread is not about me... but about my colleague who happened to be my best buddy in my new work place here.
    She is in her late 20s, a professionally qualified Engineer with an attractive job/salary.
    According to her, her horoscope has a Dosha, so an horoscope matching is very important for marriage.

For the past several years, her parents have been looking for prospective grooms by matching their charts primarily for her. But nothing showing up as of now, and they are very much fed up of it now.
    She claims that her younger sister, who is a college passed out is awaiting for her marriage, but because of her (elder sister), everything gets delayed.
    It seems, there is a guy (an Engineer) liked her, and they are friends since the past 3 years. She too likes him, and there is this emotional affair going between them for sometimes.
    But this girl is very sure that she can't take this affair any further, even though she understands the heart break. She claims her horoscope wouldn't let them live peacefully, so it is better to discontinue this now.

Besides, recently a family member had approached them with a horoscope which seemingly matched 90% when the groom's side checked.
    Now that the girl's side is hopeful that this is the groom they looked for.
    The girl hasn't even seen his picture. Not at all interacted with him. She only knew his work details and age.
    Even there is so much miss match, as he is earning far less than her.
    Despite of all that, she said YES to her parents, so that they could proceed.
    And all she prays was to make this happen.
    She believes if horoscope is matching, everything else will fall in place.

If that is the case, why my CO-sisters and BILs are always fighting, and battling fertility issues since the past 4-5 years amidst other issues in their marriage?
    They too highly believed in astrology, and checked all the horoscopes before they settle with their partners.

In my country, the war and Tsunami killed many people living in the coastal area, making the remaining members as widows, handicapped and all. Unfortunately, the people who lived in the coastal areas sincerely believe and follow astrology, by matching horoscope in marriages. Then how come natural disasters and man made disasters could disrupt their marriages this way?
    And if they are natural, then what's the difference between the ones who didn't check their horoscope before marriage?

Practically speaking, this astrology is one key factor that influence in the marriage market, where women are often made to make compromises to marry anyone, whose horoscope is matching with theirs. Because many women end up being single even after crossing their marriageable age due to this horoscope mismatch.
    Many parents fear when their children chose to have love marriages

I see my colleague is entering to a wrong route. But this is just according to me. Who I am to condemn their faith system.
    At the same time, I feel she should take it easy, and face life as it comes practically.

Other than staying completely out of it, is there anything that I can do about it?

sindmani, satchitananda and iyerviji like this.

2. Anjana124

Anjana124 Senior IL'ite

For a marriage to happen there is absolutely no need for checking the horoscopes. Astrology is being used for easy money making methods. The fate of a marriage depends truly on the mindsets of the couple! I wish your friend comes out of this confusion about 'dosha' and gets married to the guy she likes.. rather than marrying someone she hasnt even seen!

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Well, this is my POV.
    But I am really not sure whether I am right or wrong here to question her belief in astrology?
    And I have no factual evidence to prove (other than these anecdotal reasons as I mentioned above) what I say.

However, I feel I must do something before she rushes to a life long commitment just based on astrology.
    My younger co-sis comes to my mind, who did exactly the same for the same horoscope issue (dosha), and now lives in hell.
    And I see people who are leading happy marriage, with all the blessings (like kids, etc) without this horoscope in picture.
    And i accept, a success of any marriage depends on the two individuals who live the marriage. But there are certain external factors that influence these two individuals who are married. Such as children, health, money, career, etc. And that's basically what horoscope is checked for.

sindmani likes this.
  4. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

To get married to someone just because horoscopes match doesn't make sense..It can be one of the parameters for match making and not the only parameter or benchmark.

If your friend is this serious about horoscopes,it is difficult to change her mind set now..But she can rather have a talk with the other guy whose horoscope matches with her's and see if they are compatible..If she feels satisfied even in that area,she can proceed whole heartedly.Else she has to be a little practical in decision making.

sindmani and shravs3 like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Yes, she understands quite well that horoscope shouldn't be the only parameter to get married. She is educated and quite practical about life.
    But the problem, she and the girls who are similar to her face is different from what we logically see here.
    This horoscope dosha in the girl's chart leaves only very few matches according to her other selection criteria (religion, caste, education). So, practically the choice is very limited.
    That too, when the girl ages, and approches her late 20s or early 30s, the choice becomes very narrow.
    She knows that it is important to check the compatibility and stuff. She loves to have a handsome bachelor as her life partner too. But when it comes to reality, she is made to feel like he is the last one she can hope for.
    Because, she and her parents have tried since the past several years to secure one best groom, but all in vain. So, when such match happens like this, they are totally blindfolded.
    Even when she prays, all she asked was for a positive matching of horoscope only. She did not expect anything else.

If the marriage arrangement happens without horoscope matching, then I am sure this girl would give more weight to the groom's details.
    And this is the fate of the girls with some dosha...

Anyone here with their own testimony?

6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Yes. Many people give too much importance to horoscope matching even today.
    In ur friends case, she is making a huge mistake. She should marry her BF

Sandycandy and shravs3 like this.
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Well he is not her BF, but they both get along quit well, and I see that she likes him to bits.
    But she is being very careful here by not letting her hormones work, because she fears a lot about this Dosha in her horoscope. She says that the love will die, or the marriage will die or in unfortunate case, the love/partner will die if they tie the knot - seems that's what written in her horoscope it seems.

Sadly I see many women bearing such horoscope now a days.
    That's what bothering me.

8. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I heard that too. Some women marry an animal or tree first to rectify the dosha. :rolleyes:.
    Ultimately it's ur friends and her parents decision. There is nothing u can do.

sindmani and shravs3 like this.
  9. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I too faced such situation. There is so much pressure from society then from parents to get married that girl cannot say no or can't take the risk to get married to her own choice. I met many weird ones too and said yes to them too but I was lucky that my match to any one of them got stuck in one point or the other. I think its a gambling with or without horoscope one cannot judge in advance what will be the future. If she like someone then she will always feel for him in all the low moments of her married life. You cannot help her too as if you do so then if the decision goes wrong you too will feel I should not interfered at that time. I feel everyone get only the one that is made for them. And in future if it doesn't work out then somewhere we are also responsible for that.

shravs3 likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I accept the fact that there is nothing that I could do with her case here. After all, I am just a colleague.
    But when I see girls like her with very poor decision when it comes to marriage despite of their educational background and all, I understand the practical barrier they face here. And unfortunately the barrier is non other than their horoscope charts, that comes with Dosha etc
    Off late, I see plenty of girls in my circle with such doshas, and who end up marrying someone incompatible knowingly with a positive hope based on astrology.

After marriage, the horoscope story becomes horror story, and that's another story.

sindmani, Sunshine04 and shravs3 like this.