1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Hope For H1b Visa Laid Off Due To Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What happens to H1B visa holders who get laid off in the near future?

I read this in one of the proposed Coronoavirus stimulus bill documents:

(a) During the public health emergency 18 declared pursuant to section 319 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 247d) with respect to the COVID– 19 pandemic, the Secretary of Homeland Security, Secretary of State, Attorney General or Secretary of Labor, 22 as appropriate, shall temporarily suspend or modify any procedural requirement with which an applicant, petitioner, or other person or entity must otherwise comply under the immigration laws, as defined in section 101(a)(17) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 2 U.S.C. 1101(a)(17))

(c) SPECIFIC AUTHORITY FOR EXPIRING STATUSES OR WORK AUTHORIZATION.—Notwithstanding any provision of the Immigration and Nationality Act or any other provision of law, with respect to any alien whose status, whether permanent, temporary, or deferred, or employment authorization has expired within the 30 days preceding the date of the enactment of this act, or will expire by the later of one year from the date of enactment of this act or 90 days from the rescission of the March 13, 2020 Presidential Proclamation declaring a national emergency, the Secretary of Homeland Security shall automatically extend such status or work authorization for the same time period as the alien’s status or work authorization.

The emphasis in the excerpt above is mine.

Not able to really understand the legal terminology and not sure if these particular sections will be part of the final bill. Maybe the immigration forums have more details.

Amulet likes this.

2. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

what i understood was that immigration firms were trying to add clauses which would let the h1b due for immediate expiration to be automatically extended for one year which means even if h1 holder loses employment he/she can still be here till cleared to travel or i believe in that mean time if you find another sponsor who can find you a project and process change of status then it would be just fine . because the unemployment benefits in the stimulus package are not to be claimed by h1 holders. right now with premium processing suspended , i think this would some what help in fastening the process. though i havent completely studied the act , just my understanding from excerpts in news articles and immigration forums .

Rihana likes this.