Homosexuality is Legal!!!

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by AakritiM65, Jul 3, 2009.

1. AakritiM65

AakritiM65 New IL'ite

In a shocking judgement, HC has decriminalized homosexuality. :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg: I just can't believe it!!! What's next? They are going to decriminalize rape and prostitution?

Who is sitting in the HC and how in the world is he taking all these decisions?? Homosexuality is a mental disorder and it should be discouraged and not encouraged by saying that its fine.

This judgement is a direct attack on the values and tradition of our country!!!!

I am sure all of you agree with me. We must do something about this....

We can't let this happen!!

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Aakriti
    I am afraid I dont share your perception in this case.
    It is completely a personal choice.Some people like to spend their life with same sex people because of different reasons like sexual pleasure,intimacy and bonding. And in most studies its given that homosexuals have an increased rate of having mental illness like depression,suicidal tendency etc due to the negative attitude of socitey towards the same.
    Homosexuality is practiced by an individual depending on his wish and it's always better for a homo to share his life with an homo or an hetero with an hetero other than home sharing his life with an heterosexual.Rape is defined as a crime because there you are violating the fundamental rights of a human being.As far as you are not violating any human rights it cannot be categorized as a crime.
    Its upto us to choose or to be the kind of sexuality we prefer,either homo or hetero.How long whould the guys with homosexual behavioral pattern suppress it and act like a heterosexual one?We dont have the right to spoil a man's life....so as far as homosexuality doesnt contribute to the criminal levels I dont think it has to be something illegal.

About the topic homosexuality and Indian culture please refer here to know more.
    Homosexuality in India a legal analysis.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
    5 people like this.
  3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

I am sure the reading down of Article 377 will be debated intensely by the civil society, media and aam aadmi. Just as it will be contested wildly by all religious groups from the Siro Malabar Christian Diocese to VHP to the Muslim fundamentalists.

And just as ambiguous is whether the Delhi HC has the powers to repeal a constitutional law.

While all those legal and technical points remain unanswered, as an ordinary, average, (straight) woman, housewife and human being, I welcome the repealing of Article 377. The Indian Constitution offers us freedom of expression. And if two consenting individuals, above 18 years, in full mental senses, indulge in a particular behaviour in privacy, that is neither coerced nor publicly offensive- I see no reason why the article should be preserved.

I agree that it is not an act prescribed or praised in Indian values or Hindu culture. But it has definitely been present from time immemorial, there have even been divine beings who were deemed to represent homosexual behaviour. And it has been tolerated even then.

I will not encourage homosexuality in anyone I know or rear. But if such be the orientation of the person concerned, I am only happy to tolerate that practice and love (as in accept) the person within legal parameters and emotional planes.

I will not argue that as times change we have to change traditional values and thinking. But surely, we can open our hearts and minds more to issues that are deviant and look at them with benign enquiry. It is not easy to be gay and live in a place where gay bashing is a preferred weekend sport. For all those gentle souls who chose or who were randomly chosen by divine or 'intelligent' design to be 'not straight', we owe an educated debate to the reading down of Article 377 rather that get rheoteric or indignant about it.

And we need, above all, to know, that when we discriminate, we are practising hate, and teaching our next generation to do so as well. The song below from the 50's musical,'South Pacific; by Rodgers and Hammerstein will probably tell us what we have to be really taught to love and hate.

'You've got to be taught
    To hate and fear,
    You've got to be taught
    From year to year,
    It's got to be drummed
    In your dear little ear
    You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
    Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
    And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
    You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
    Before you are six or seven or eight,
    To hate all the people your relatives hate,
    You've got to be carefully taught!'

<!--Lyrics End-->I am not going to be carefully taught-------------.

Ansuya and (deleted member) like this.
  4. aparajithaa

aparajithaa Bronze IL'ite

see homosexuality is accepted as it is ones choice
    few incidents make a person unable to accept the other sex
    they prefer to be that way
    yeah i know it is a mental disorder
    but sometimes we cant do anything about it..we should approve them so as to lessen their stress...
    this is not encouragement but just a way to let them live too..
    and rape will never be made legal not in india but anywhere in the world..
    i know this is not our culture..
    but ground reality is no culture will remain the same for long..
    and it shouldnt also..
    some changes has to be done..
    and ofcourse not too much that we forget the culture on whole..

5. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Yeah It is! :cheers

And lets face it. I do not understand the fun in having something around, and not facing it straight. Lets realise that it is absolutely all right to have a partner of choice. In fact, I would strongly welcome this judgement because it is high time we got a law in place for something that has long been around.

As much as it is spoken that is not culture to live along with the same sex, it is not culture to discriminate a race for their preferances. The former may be the nation's or religion's culture, but the latter is the human culture. Forgetting the fact that we are all different individuals with our own space, I believe it is not possible to create a culture at all.

@ OP - What is the connection between legalising Gay's and legalising Rape and Prostitution? To be frank, legalised prostitution is practised in many countries.

I have more to say, but will wait for other contributions to come.

6. sweetgirl4flirt

sweetgirl4flirt New IL'ite

What??? How in the world can anyone compare homosexuality with rape and prostitution? When will people understand that it is not a crime or disease to like somebody from the same sex?

This is so sad that even in 21st century, people have not understood this simple thing.

Aakriti should do some research and study on the subject of homosexuality. Don't talk about things you don't know about.

7. VRajesh

VRajesh Bronze IL'ite

All I can comment is those who are waiting for this decision Congratulations.
    It's there own personal feeling and choice.

8. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I too support this ruling by the HC. It is a step forward in the right direction. Being gay is no crime - it is a matter of personal preference and orientation. It is scientifically proven that the brains of such people are different from straight people - they are born that way. Let us not condemn and criminalize them, just because they are different.

9. sweetgirl4flirt

sweetgirl4flirt New IL'ite

Oh thanks God there are some sane people in this country. I have been going nuts listening to all the mindless tu-tu main-main on this issue. Everybody and anybody who thinks himself as the caretaker of Bharatiya sanskriti is coming on New Channels and claiming that this will destroy our society.

Can you believe it? These idiotic people think that if we allow homosexuality then all the straight people will also become gay. :rotfl God help these people.

We are trying to be a super power??? With these kind of people living in our society, how can we progress?

10. AakritiM65

AakritiM65 New IL'ite

Hey ladies,

What you guys are talking about? I know you all must be younger than me and have been brainwashed by the Western Society. Homosexuality is not the way God intended us to be. God only wanted a man and woman to form a marriage and consummate a marriage. Homosexuality is prohibited in every religion and there is a reason behind it.

Its not necessary to imitate that Americans do....