homemade soap , anybody know?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by pashni, Apr 22, 2010.

1. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

Any of u know how to make washing soap/powder at home? Searching internet shows liquids made with the combination of soap,washing soda etc. Any of u have a different procedure.The method i got from net wants us to boil the soap.I dont want to spoil my utensils by boiling soap in it.

2. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

You are not happy with the products Unilever plc and Proctor & Gamble put out? LOL

3. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

yesterday i read in yahoo abt this homemade soaps all that.They say the prodects nowadays available in market are conc and are not enviro friendly.And also as usual homemades are cheaper than what is available in stores.So iwas curious to know anybody from IL know soap making.My grandma used to make soap,agarbathis at home.This info i got frommy mother.But sad,my mother doesnt know.That is y i tried in IL.

4. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

:). Homemade soaps are pretty elaborate in procedure and are normally done for creating a specific aroma. I learnt in school to make soap sheets with lavender and orange. I think we did something with pears soap and added essential oils to it. Soap sheets are ideal for travel, and are mostly not available in stores. No idea on detergents and bath soaps-the kinds we get now days though. Agarbathis - yes, seen how it is made - not too tough!

Arch

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  5. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

There are quite a few washing liquids now which are enviro friendly and bio-degradable and there is a niche market for environmentally safe products now so these companies adapt.

Seems like a lot of work and hassle to me to make soap for individual use unless you are running a commercial operation.

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I don't think you will ruin a stainless steel pot, its the aluminum ones that that get ruined with that homemade recipe (I saw it also). There is also on the net recipes for using soapnuts for doing laundry. You have those in India (forgot the name in India) and you have to grind them up. Well who knows if that powder might clog your machine.

Here in USA the price for enviro friendly detergents is dropping fast. They are made from coconuts and since India has lots of those, my guess is that it will hit the Indian market soon.

Here they market some set of plastic balls that you use instead of all/most of the detergent in the washer. I guess they kind of pound out your dirt.

Do you know if the detergents available in your area are NOT enviro friendly?