1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Home remedy-was it worth it?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kanaka Raghavan, Jan 12, 2012.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Hi friends,
    Coming into this forum,after quite some time,wondering what to write and how to.Seeing giants like Satchi,MIndi,Srama,Kamalji ,Chitvish,Cheeniya sir, to name a few made me wonder how,but then I thought why not,then I got suddenly inspired by their writings and here I am to narrate an incident which happened last week.
    It was lovely Thursday evening,daughter had gone for a AOL satsang and husband and I had a simple meal of upuma.After finishing the household work,I sat down to watch an old English movie on the net ''BRIDE FOR HARRY'' taken in the early 40s in my lap top.Husband was tied up with his new found friend The NEW DELL Inspiron,.His favorite past time after dinner to watch series ''PRIDE AND PREJUDICE''.Suddenly I had a creepy feeling in my ear,thinking that it was due to cold weather and applied some AXE BRAND oil behind my left ear,thinking that it would help.There was no re action for few minutes,then started a mild pain,gradually increasing with intensity as time passed by.I got up ,went to gargle with BETHADINE thinking that it would help.It did not.Now I did not want to go the hospital at 8.30 pm.All the while husband was busy enjoying PRIDE AND PREJUDICE,never knowingin what was happening.
    An idea clicked bravo,I was so excited,went racing to my lap top typed GOOGLE,searched for home remedies for ear pain.I got many answers,was puzzled at one stage which to try,lo decided to go for the following one.
    For immediate relief of ear pain try garlic juice or the second best onion juice.Just leave few drops in the ear and it is said to relieve pain within minutes.It helps even children.Have heard of hot sesame oil,which I have had when was young,but what was this?Anyway thought of saving myself a trip to the doctor ,I got up cut an onion,squeezed some juice and poured few drops into my ears.Lo that was it maybe.Few minutes it was nice and quiet.Then my husband was wondering why I was going back and forth,told him that I tried a time tested remedy and found relief,he said''oh God!anyway I was not giving basking in my own glory.
    Daughter came home spoke about Satsang. and how it was.Finally I thought it was time to hit the bed.My Gosh as soon as hit the bed,the pain started and had all sorts of noises in my left pain,starting with waves,followed with water,then a bubble burst,then plonk,then burr sound of an aircraft,un imaginable.Oh god how could such noises come out of the ear.It continued,I almost jumped up and yelled .My husband and daughter got worried,told me we should move to the hospital.Then there was PLONG sound and discharge came out.The pain was a bit better.In spite of my husband's persuasion I did not budge,took a PENADOL and went off to sleep.
    My son came home at 11.40 for week end stay.I did not know he had come in and was fast asleep.Suddenly at 12.30 there was one more churning and the pain started again,then my children were very adamant they said this is the last straw,we have to go,did not wanting to wake up husband we tiptoed quietly out.
    Went down there was a change of plan,instead of going to the hospital,why not go the nearby pharmacy.Normally medicines are never given across the counter here.Anyway we thought we would try,then asked the pharmacist for ear drops ,he gave one and said try using thei,if does not subside,see the doctor.Came home and applied it,there was some relief,slept somehow.
    Then again next morning there was nothing .
    The day after it started again,so thought we would see and ENT.We finally did,who said it is a hole and gave antibiotics for a week,and keep the area dry and the hole will close within 2 months.
    Now I am getting better and better,but I will never forget this home remedy or should I say comedy?

2 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That was terrible Kanaks. Wish you had gone off to the doctor at the first sign of pain and discomfort. You could have spared yourself the agony. Anyway, glad that it is now sorted out. By the way, glad you wrote here and hoping to see more from you. :)

3. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Nice write up about your experience with home remedies.

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi kanaka,

good to see you here. I remember you used to write here long time back.:)

I always believe in trying out home remedies and like to postpone the visit to the doc but I guess sometimes it just does not work.how nice it would be if we only knew when to go to the doc and when, not to?:)

5. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Welcome back, Kanaka. For certain minor problems home remedies comes handy. But the major ones need tobe treated only by a doctor. Good to learn that the cause found out and the remedy prescribed. Wish you a speedy recovery. take care.