1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Home remedies for improving haemoglobin level?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Vini K, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Vini K

Vini K Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

I recently found out that the reason for my fatigue which I have been experiencing since the last 4-5 months has been due to low heamoglobin levels.I would like to ask you all to hare with me your tips on how to increase heamoblogin levels in the body through diet.I am a vegetarian.I drink soy milk but also eat egg.so please do suggest your tips.Thanks a lot.

Admin Note: You may also wish to read relevant links of articles and discussions

10 Powerful Home Remedies for Improving Hemoglobin
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h...44-anemic-how-increase-haemoglobin-level.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/130623-vegetarian-iron-rich-foods.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/123980-iron-rich-foods.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/130623-vegetarian-iron-rich-foods-2.html
    Foods to reduce anemia
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/61054-low-iron-level.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/health-issues/130622-treating-anaemia-low-haemaoglobin.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013

2. vidyasundar

vidyasundar Bronze IL'ite

As you must be knowing that low level of haemoglobin is mainly due to the deficiency of iron in the diet. Lots of different foods contain iron, and, as you may be aware, the iron in some foods is better absorbed than that in others.

The iron from meat sources is the best-absorbed form. The iron you will absorb from a small serving of liver, for example, equals the iron you would get from a big serving of spinach since you are a vegeterian take spinach juice daily in the morning along with your breakfast. That is because some vegetables contain iron inhibitors that interfere with the absorption of iron.

Certain nutrients, such as vitamin C, help to boost the potency of the iron by enhancing its absorption. So eating high-iron foods with, for example, a glass of orange juice increases the amount of iron the body can use.

This list contains iron-rich foods from more absorbable to less which you may include in your diet: (All types of liver, oysters, sardines, turkey, chicken, cod for non vegeterians), brewers yeast, blackstrap molasses, iron-fortified breakfast cereals, wheat germ, soyabeans, lentils, turnip greens, baked-potato skin and spinach, almonds, dates, raisins, jaggery, bajra(millets), pulses and all green leafy vegetables.

hope you find this useful, moreover consult your doctor take iron supplements along with these kind of food and go for regular Hb checkup if the count comes to normal continue with the food supplements only.

regards
    vidyasundar

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Vinni,

Well i see you eat eggs, so up your intake if eggs. Have one egg everyday. Egg is a good source of Iron ( and that too it is in the absorbable form ). Also increase your intake of greens like spinach and other green leafy vegetables. When eating green leafy vegetables, also eat something rich in vitamin C so that Iron absorption can be increased.
    Dates are also good source of iron. So eating a few dates a day will help.

Hope thie helps.

Rgds
    Vandhana

4. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hai vini

Oh God!!!!!!!!!!i can understand how much u would have suffered due to tiredness, since i was having this prob 3 yrs back,had literal wholebodypain,severe tiredness,will have fever weekly 4 days,cant do any work,have to lie down and take rest inbetween every jobcant comb my hair or take bath myself (will cry while doing this ) and atlast i found that my haemoglobin level is jus 9 (12 - 16 )

I took medicines prescribed by my doctor regularly and what i did is " i used to have plenty of beetroot, carrot,,spinach and drink grape juice almost daily
    and my elders say that we have plenty of iron in jaggery,brinjal,curryleaves,dates,nuts and i had that also,whenever possible

dont worry yaar, if u eat all this,ur haemoglobin level will definitely increase,i assure u (but now my son is suffereing from this, but refused to eat all these items and iam havingbig battle with him daily)

latamurali

5. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

hi ladies,
    I too am a veg, and suffer from tiredness occasionally. I guess low iron must be the reason.
    This thread was very informative, thanks to Vini for posting this and all you ladies for replying!

One q: I've heard elephant yam is also a good source of iron, hence good to eat. Can someone please confirm?

Lata, I'm amazed you had such a severe problem due to a count of 9?! I thought it might've been much lesser to create extreme tiredness! Glad to know you could overcome it :)
    best,
    Hasita

6. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hai Vandhana madam

Thank u so much, actually iam very much worried about my sons health,since he hates to eat spinach,vegetables,dates, nuts etc but he loves to eat egg(,got the habit from my hubby ,actually we dont eat egg or any non-veg,we are pure vegetarians - he will just boil it and peel the skin and give him IS THAT ENOUGH OR WHAT ELSE TO DO) pls tell me, for health sake i will allow him to cook

latamurali

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

I think almost everyone has covered the food to be eaten to increase heamoglobin. Beetroot, Carrot, Spinach, all leafy vegetables, Jaggery, Dates, eggs, fish, pulses, orange juice, ... at the moment nothing more is striking me.. :bang

8. suminanda

suminanda New IL'ite

dear vini,
    don't worry. i will suggest a cheaper but best cereal very rich in iron content.
    that's nothing but "RAGGI".......haven't you heard of it? usually we feed our babies with this edible grain.but it's as well for grown ups also.
    you can use the flour in many ways.
    pudding.......flour and milk mixed and boiled,with sugar or jaggery
    steamed cake(puttu ) ,or dosai(dosai won't be tasty)
    even doctors advise aneamic patients to use this
    you continue this for one month ........definitely you will improve

in ayurveda there is very good arishtams(lohaasava etc)and lehiams to cure aneamia
    suminanda

9. Vini K

Vini K Bronze IL'ite

Thank you so much ladies for all the tips you have given.Definitely will follow these as my level is 10 now and I have a school going 3 yr old to look after:-(I have to get back on my feet..

Lata,like you even I feel like crying everytime this weakness overcomes me.I used to be so active,never sleeping even in afternoons, but nowadays I feel like someone else is controlling my body:shock:forcing me to take rest after every chore,and taking a nap in the afternoons but still feeling tired around 8-9 pm..

Sumi,thanks for the suggestion about ragi:goodidea:.I am going to get ragi flour right away and also follow the other tips suggested by you ladies here.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi vinik,

Buck up with little bit of change in your diet your haemoglobin level will increase. but if it doesn't you go in for a checkup... (from a experience person..i have stable level of 7-8 which is a worry for my doctor..) it never rises.

I have heard from my ayurvedic friend that there is a powder that when taken with honey..increases the count from day one. try it...