1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Home remedies for Cold and coughs in kids

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by rekhas, Feb 19, 2008.

1. lakshmilatest

lakshmilatest New IL'ite

lakshmi, Camphor will melt in hot cocunut oil, right? That is what we are going
    to store and use as needed. Is that right?

- YES

Is tulsi oil, different from juice? I doubt if the Indian Grocers carry this?

- I have got this one from India. I donot think we get it here.
    You can use fresh leaves instead or juice. But donot know how to preserve the juice. I always keep one plant inside the house. so I am using it. Also you can put lot of leaves in a ziploc [small ziplocs] and freeze it. Whenever needed we can take it , warm it and use it.

Could I put fresh pepper powder in to the ghee instead of whole pepper.

- Usually whole pepper works better than the powder.

Hope this help.s

1 person likes this.
  2. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rekha,

I grate a piece of ginger and then crush the grated part with my fingers to get the juice out...

love,
    Aarushi

3. rekhas

rekhas Senior IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

We tried ginger juice with honey, Pepper with ghee, omam with misri. I had to force them in. He did cough up some phlegm this evening ( I held him over the sink). He sounds a lot better now. We will continue for a day or two at least. Appreciate all the responses to my query. Thank you so much.

Rekha

4. nakkamanju

nakkamanju New IL'ite

hi ...
    just need some help ....my daughter is 28months old and she has been suffering with cough .....she never had cough before this is the first time that we r going thru it.....
    during the day time she coughs once or twice but never to the extent that she vomits but when i put her down for nap during day time or night ....she gets bouts of cough and it ends in throwing up ...and this is not happening everytime but once or twice in 4 days...she is otherwise active ......i m giving her ginger and honey ,cough syrup...
    i dont know whats wrong .....(my doudt is as we recently moved to plano,tx is she under stress??)

can anyone plz help me

manju

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

What about infants? Can we try these for infants.My son is just 3 months old and seems to be having a lot of phlegm.It is like nasal congestion,no cough though.No running nose either. I apply saline drops,thats it. I think some of it is getting discharged thru' the stool. Is there any way I can help him?

6. sonalipd

sonalipd New IL'ite

Hi
    My 3 yr old daughter was suffering from cough and unable to sleep for 2 nights.I searched this thread and tried ginger and honey remedy as suggested by someone. within 2 doses of this and the cough was 90% gone also her cold has reduced considerably.Thank you

Sonali

7. sknaaz

sknaaz New IL'ite

hi friends,
    ur tips are all awsome.i usually try the honey one and steam bath for cold n congestion.but now my 18 months old son is sneezing and has a runny nose.i wonder what to do to relieve him.i dont want to give tylenol for this and use some home remedy instead.please can anybody help me with this?
    thanks for ur time..
    have a great day..

8. mallilakshmi

mallilakshmi New IL'ite

Dear friends,

My son is 11 months old and he is finding difficult in breathing while sleeping and snoring due to cold and nasal congestion, if i apply vicks to his nose and chest then he is ok and after some time it is the same thing,can anybody help me out with some natural remedies.

Thanks in advance,

Lakshmi

9. samrudh2008

samrudh2008 New IL'ite

hi all

thanks for giving such wonderful remedies

raji you are correct,give kids vit c which is best against colds

mix 1 tsp of dry amla powder (usirikai )in telugu mixed with 1/2 tsp of honey and feed to ur kids daily and ur kids will not at all get cold

10. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

for very small kids we give sweet basil leaves juice , with honey, the phlegm will come out in their motion . for cough , we soak4 or 5 black pepper powder and pinch of pure turmeric powder in hot milk, and filter the milk and feed them