1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Home Made Baby Food

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by tejudatla, Jan 18, 2007.

1. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am trying for home made baby food which is very healthy and less expensive compared to ready made food.

I tried those recipes for my 8 months old. She really enjoying those recipes every day n I felt very happy for her.

Here is a site for the one who wants to try diff recipes for their loved babies

http://www.gonyna.com/babyfood/

Hope you too can enjoy the site...

Good Luck
    Teja:)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
    Axelle09 likes this.

2. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

3. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks for those links to home made baby foods. I wanna try them one by one for my baby.

Meanwhile, just wanted to check with you all...

When you feed a baby(yet to get tooth) rice with dhal(paruppu), rasam, curd, etc. how do you mash the rice? Somebody told me not to use blender, then they will not get used to the grainy texture and would always want puree form. So I mash it with spoon when the rice is hot and then mix dhal and ghee. Still it is not getting mashed well. I use basmati rice (being in the US that's the best we like) but I do cook it well with more water.

Give me your suggestions for mashing it fine.

Nila

4. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Nila

A hand held blender is very convenient to mash - you can use it even in metal bowls.

This is what I used to blend the rice cooked well with more water to get a fine mashed consistency. My 16 month old liked it until he was one year old, but now wants to eat food in a consistency he can chew. So, from my experience I have not had any problem blending.

-Gayathri.

5. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Nila,

I put little extra water in rice when I was cooking and when it is very hot I try to make it as much smooth as I can with ghee N if it is still not smooth enough then I use the hand held blender for about 1 min as Gayathri did. My 10 months old she liked it and I am happy with that.

I also had the same doubt like u if they start eating in this way then they will get used to it. But my frns suggested me to this is good at the beginning stage of eating rice only. Once they get the tooth then we have to give the food with out blending or mashing so that they can at least try to chew so....

Hope this helps.....

6. sree

sree New IL'ite

hi nila,
    I cook rice seperate for my daughter with extra water and cook it really well until it is mushed. And with my hands only i smash the rice well when it is hot. I too agree not to use any machines for rice since it will make it really pasty texture.

7. Dolly_Lite

Dolly_Lite Bronze IL'ite

Hi Teja,

I am also trying to make home made baby foods for my 5.5 month old baby.

Can you please tell me what works best blender or food processor. It is really confusing. I have oster 14 speed blender at home. But i think the food jar is very big.

Also I heard the hand blender is good. Can you suggest me which is good?
    I have to go really shopping

8. srirangani

srirangani New IL'ite

Boil the vegetables, grind it and make it into a pulp and give it to the child. The food is totally fresh with very good nutrition - and very safe for the child. thats waht my mother gave me when i was a kid :)

9. swarnavarma

swarnavarma New IL'ite

hi teja,
    how come i am unable to open the website.

10. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

Hi Teja,
    Somehow even I am unable to open the site.
    But was successful in opening Gayathri's site.Thanks a lot.This was exactly what I was looking for.