1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Home Inspection Failing

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sanjuruby3, Jun 7, 2017.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    We got the home inspected that we liked and we were sad that it came up bad results. There are so many problems in it.. That those too big ones.
    To begin with roof problems, leakages at many areas, water seeping in many places and water in electrical unit ( horror ) plumbing issues, and pests :-(, broken electric outlets, breaking deck, peeling paint, broken brackets everything. Try to open any window, and screen falls off ( i know cosmetic issues). Door handles broken few places.Then minor issues almost every section of house. Me and H were so disappointed that we invested so much money, time and energy and also planned many things and now we do not know what to do.
    As we estimated, it looks like straight expense of 30K.
    Also house had many known problems before inspection that he agreed to take care. So now we are not sure if seller will go down that much. If we hire contractor, just for estimates and again seller says I can not do. So far, we are both ready to come out at this moment but we are going to talk to our agent and see what she suggests. House had some other major known problems (not in inspection) that also selller has to take care of yet and skipped inspection.

We are so broken right now. After lot of mind battles ( because of known issues ) we had gone ahead with this house. Did you have such cases and any experiences or suggestions?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

See if you can negotiate with the seller. Cosmetic issues are one thing but you need to make sure the big ticket items like roof, electric, plumbing, HVAC, water heater, foundation, water in basement, windows etc are all sound.
    What is the age of the roof? If it is nearing the end of its lifespan you will need to budget for replacement. Can you afford to do the rest of the repairs? Will you be able to find a trustworthy contractor? Are you willing and able to invest the time and effort? It depends how hot the housing market in your area is. After buying a house which has needed a lot of work over the years we have vowed to only move into a turn-key home the next time around.

3. sanjuruby3

This house definitely needs lot of work. My H is thinking same that if he does not agree, we will go with new home w/o all these issues.
    So we will know in a day or 2 what he is willing to do. There was huge list so we took off all minor issues or cosmetic issues. But big things or safety hazards we covered. Along with that, home had some permit issues. We will see what is agrees too, else we are ready mentally to come out of this deal.
    Though we lost lot of money here and some leasing issues. We might have to move to other apartments as we gave notice.
    @malstorm, what kind of issues you are dealing with with old home at present? Is it really bad buying older home? New homes are far from city are or less known area for us immigrants. So I prefer community and mature neighourhood.

silento likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Wait, are you saying that you found the problems before you bought the house? If yes, then the system worked! Consider yourself lucky! Or have you already bought the house and find yourself in a bit of a hole in terms of projected expense?

Don't get attcahed to random buildings. Thank your lucky stars that you had a diligent inpsector. Usually, the inspector and the RE agents are in cahoots. When houses change hands everybody makes money, except the buyer. Labor and repairs are very expensive. Tread carefully!:beer-toast1:

5. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

OP, sorry that you are going through this feeling of despair. At this point you are undergoing an overwhelming feeling since you have invested so much of time and
    effort and you just want to make it work.
    Since you are the buyer, you will have multitude of options later and you do not have to compromise even on small/minor repairs. Repair expense worth 30k in my opinion is too much.

One of our friends were in a simialr situation when they were looking for homes, but they backed off after seeing the potential issues and mounting costs
    of repair. It was definitely not worth the hassle.

Talk to other experienced people in your area, particularly the broker/agent for strong advice.
    Check the condition of the house on county website ( in TX it is called the Apprasial District).
    Do through research before you commit, as you will be staying in it and you do not want to be 'stuck' with it.

6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Sanjuruby

Home buying can be a stressful process. I am sorry the house you liked ended up having all these issues, but as @sokanasanah says, be thankful that you discovered these issues before signing the contract.

Even if you think the estimates and repairs you have to undertake on the house seems affordable to you, there are other costs associated that have the potential to drive your budget up significantly. You'd have to find a place to live in until your house gets ready, so that's an added expense of paying rent in addition to the mortgage.... and all this while you're already beginning to feel the pinch of the wide gaping hole the down payment would have left in your bank account. So unless you have all that accounted for in your budget, I would suggest against going for a fixer upper that needs to lot of structural work done. Besides, you also mentioned permit issues. I am assuming you live in the Bay Area (???), and permit violations are pretty rampant, as I have noticed. You may not get audited, but if you do at any point, I have heard that the fines can be pretty hefty. Buying a house is a big decision, unless you feel completely satisfied that are getting your money's worth, I would advice you to think that this is not the home for you.

Good luck!

7. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

If you haven't brought the house , better walk away. When we bought a house, we proceed with offer with a condition that we will buy only if it pass home inspection.
    Look like the house you have had lot of structural issues that is not worth the money and effort. If will be difficult to sell it also in future .
    If the issue is cosmetic, it is ok. If not better look for other homes.
    One of my friend recently walk away from buying house. The house looked perfect . But home inspector found severe foundation issues, but already fixed . They gave up the project because of resale issues they may face in future. Still searching for their dream home.
    Anyway think about it.

If you already bought this house, then face the reality with confidence . Good luck

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This is right - please don't underestimate the costs of fixing leaks and water damage or electrical rewiring! Sustained seepage can lead to mold infestation :yikes:... the list goes on. This sort of stuff rarely stays under budget. Be very careful.

9. sanjuruby3

We have given list of items (priority) for seller and waiting for his response, thinking rest we will do ourselves. I am sure he is going to be ready for half. So we are thinking. Because of permit issues already the closing/whole process has been delayed. He had not get anything done yet (changes needed in building for permit) and we went ahead with inspection. Even though I had suggested my H to wait but as most H are, he did not listen.

House with almost zero defect will be way above our budget.
    It is not a fixer upper but older home with no maintenance because owners not living there for many yrs and tenants there and now vacant for long time. We are in MA area.

10. sanjuruby3

So our seller took lot of time to come back and refused to do anything. We were shocked at his response. So far we knew he is been trying to sell for many yrs like 5 yrs. Now also, in this aggressive market, it was in for few weeks till we offfered. Himself he disclosed few items broken and house was not maintained because he is away.
    How he came back with deny to every request except tell his is giving money for those broken/disclosed items.
    We are thinking if we move on or go with self expenses. My H is kind of emotional with this house now. Max we wanted him to replace roof. House is normal price range, not too expensive