1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Home Cleaning

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Ashna, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Ashna

Ashna Bronze IL'ite

Household Cleaning Tips
    Here are some wonderful home cleaning tips and solutions from grandma's times when all these cleaning products were not so readily available. They are inexpensive, easy to prepare and more environment-friendly than many of the products in the superstores. Exercise a little caution while using them.
    • Clean the stubborn stains in your bathtub by applying a paste of hydrogen peroxide and cream of tartar on them using a toothbrush and then rinse them thoroughly.
    • Club soda is known for removing spots and stains instantly. Pour little of it on the spot and after one or two seconds blot the area with a damp sponge.
    • Mix one tablespoon of household bleach in a spray bottle full of water and use it as a spray disinfectant in the kitchen, around the sink and counters, especially after you have cooked meat.
    • Mix together 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 4 tablespoons of white vinegar and 1 quart of warm water and apply it on all kinds of woodwork to clean them and make them shine using a soft cloth. Dry the item with a separate and clean cloth.
    • Pencil eraser is great to clean black scuffmarks on the floors made by heels of the shoes.
    • To remove stains from carpets, try a mixture of ½ cup of mild dishwashing liquid and 2 cups of boiling water. Use a damp sponge to apply the mixture to the carpet and clean it.
    • To unclog a drainpipe, pour a cup of salt and a cup of baking soda down it and then pour lots of boiling water down it to dissolve the grease and clear it.
    • Use a clean rag moistened with club soda or white vinegar to bring the shine back to stainless steel.
    • Water can leave spots and rings on wooden furniture that can be cleaned using a damp cloth and a mixture of toothpaste and baking soda.

1 person likes this.

2. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

How to remove stains on wooden floor?

Hi friends,

A few days back, I had kept the agal vilaku on the wooden floor directly thinking of something and that color directly got stayed on it. Is there any solution to remove or polishing will remove all kinds of stains??

Thanks and appreciate anyone's fast feedback.

Rgds.

3. priyarama

priyarama New IL'ite

I would really appreciate if someone can suggest a house remedy tip for cleaning the cooking range or gas stove grease and stains. Its very difficult to scrape and cleanse with ordinary detergents.

4. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Hi Priya,

If you are in the US, look for a product called "EASY OFF" in the cleaning section of your grocery store. It can be usually found in the same aisle as the other cleaners. That is very very effective for removing greased stains. It has powerful fumes, so I suggest you cover your nose and mouth with a scarf or towel. Spray on the greased areas, let it sit for around 45 minutes, and then wipe with a paper towel.

Do not spray on the lettering on your gadgets though, the chemical causes lettering to peel off.

Try it and let me know.

Regards
    Vidya

5. priyarama

priyarama New IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

Yes, I have heard of the Easy Off. But i stay in Malaysia so i dont know whether you would get that here. Anyway i will look around to see if I can get it.
    Thank you for your reply.

Rgds,
    Priya

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Re: How to remove stains on wooden floor?

Dear Ami...

I am seeing this query of your's only now.
    Have you managed to remove the stain from your wooden floor by now? If you are having problems with it, please do go to your local Home Depot or a similar store and ask them for advice. There are many types of wooden floors and I am not sure how much the stain has impregnated your wood floor. The store staff will have a better know how and will be able to help you.
    Best of luck.

L, Kamla

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priyarama,

If you do not get grease removing sprays in Malaysia, you have to exercise your arm musles a bit! I can imagine a lot of rubbing and scrubbing being necessary to remove those stubborn stains.
    I find the best time to clean the cooking range and stoves are when they are still quite warm from usage. You should use a soft scouring detergent and a good absorbent cloth and clean the greasy area as best as you can. The metal parts can be scrubbed with a wire mesh or even better, a soap impregnated wire mesh. But when the stove/range is still warm, it is easier to remove the grease.
    Best of Luck.
    L, Kamla

8. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I use 'Soft scrub' everywhere (counter tops, bathroom, bath tub etc), it is very easy and less effort to clean.

Regards.

9. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Hey guys... I am not going to advice.. but have a question to ask..

Carpet owners.. is there any specific stuff out there to remove the cooking odor that spreads all over... We had hardwood floors.. but changed recently... and where ever I go.. I can smell my sambhar :mrgreen: :hide::hide:

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Nandu, this is one thing I have tried - mix baking soda and vinegar, spray on the carpet, let it dry and vacuum...should take off all odors. The only downside I have found is if the mix falls on any wood/glass surfaces while spryaing leaves a white mark and you need to clean it up. I am surprised that you took off the hard wood flooring - I am trying to work my hubby the other way round - to lay wood in dining and living!

But I hope othet ILs will come up with better solutions!