1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Home Alone

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jan 17, 2017.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

The limit of Rs24,000 seem to have been enhanced to Rs 1,00,000 per week and ATM limits too have been increased.Wish safe trip to your wife.
    Recently for 25 days,( Dec 10 to Jan 5) my DIL alone came here leaving her two sons aged 11 and 4 with my son in US.
    My DIL had prepared so many food items like poli, bakshanam, idli batter etc to last for 3 weeks.It was an experience for my son to look after kids for 25 days.Of course he worked from office.My second grandson, 4,used to talk to his mother at midnight-day time here,narrating every small event.The two kids fought and played and came to deals themselves.Actually my son felt Priya's absence more, since for children, father was there to look after their needs.I understand your position.

Debit cards have come to stay in Chennai.People are getting used to cashless life and even small shops in the corner accept debit cards.The next minute we receive SMS reg amt debited.But I had to keep lot of cash well in advance withdrawing Rs 24,000 for 4 weeks well in advance, since the accompanying artists,( singer, Nattuvangam, violinist, mritangamist and flautist) except a few and the videographers demanded only cash
    My DIL came for her Bharatha Natyam concerts in three sabhas during Dec music season.It was so nice to see the children wishing her before every performanace.
    For a change such experiences are a must to strengthen harmony.

My DiL' s visit from US taught lot of lessons to every one of us both financially and otherwise.It is a learning experience in everyone's angle.

Jayasala 42

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

This is true for India travel, as well as travel to many other poor countries. We order cards with new account numbers before leaving. After the first experience of the stolen card number, we always ask the bank to issue new cards (it takes 3 weeks) prior to travel, & use that only in India (Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad), and promptly cancel that after we return. This way you need not bother with cancelling the old card, whose 16 digit number has been with you for decades.

Viswamitra and Rihana like this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I noticed the mention of OCI visa in the OP. If the travel planner is somewhat anal, well then, there are other precautions, such as....
    1. Use the Smart Traveler program to register your travel with the US state department. Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
    2. Find out about how to replace a lost US passport in a country where all the natives look like you :unamused: and you have to demonstrate that you are an American Citizen, who had lost everything to a mugger or decoity.
    3. Do you expect medical emergencies while in India ?
    Easwaroo Rakshadhu.... is one way to go, on the other hand, Eashwar may appreciate some help now and then. ;)

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

The limit for savings account is still Rs. 24000. For current account (business owners) the limit has been increased from 50000 to 100000. The daily withdrawal limit from the ATM has been increased from 4500 to 10000. Note that ATM withdrawals are counted in the 24000 limit.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Akanksha,

Thank you for the excellent clues for handling cash withdrawal restrictions in India. I will share that information with my wife and see whether we can get debit card quickly. If not, she would withdraw Rs. 24,000 every week and spend the rest through issue of local checks/credit cards. I will send with her a few credit cards that we don't use often so that I can monitor it regularly from here for any suspicious activity. Most of the time, she is in Chennai except a trip or two.

I have filled me up with a lot to accomplish during these two months and hence no partying. :)

Viswa

6. Viswamitra

@Nonya

We do use unused credit cards during international travel and also call credit card companies to let them know it would be used in India for a period of two months so they don't block the credit cards.

1) I have not yet obtained Smart Traveler Enrollment Program as yet. My American Express card offered reimbursement of the fee if we obtain it. Mostly, my wife travels with my MIL and she gets preferential check-in, security clearance because of her wheelchair status

2) I have a copy of the passport always with me before anyone travels. Once the numbers are given, the US consulate in Chennai issues the passport quickly

3) Our medical insurance policy covers international travel as well. Instead of getting paid while in the hospital, we have to incur all the cost and get it reimbursed later.

Viswa

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

It is so encouraging to hear while most Indian Americans come to India to listen to Katcheris and dance programs during December-January, at least Sow Priya is visiting India to giver performances in India.

It will be a very interesting experience for my wife to see everyone accepting debit cards now. I have told her withdraw cash for domestic use as well as travel outside of Chennai and use credit cards for any purchases in Chennai. Rs 24,000 per week should be more than adequate for her as long as shopping is excluded from that limit.

I am so happy to know that your Son in law took care of two children while Sow. Priya traveled to India. Definitely, a very understanding husband. In general, the children in the US are very regulated and we need to worry about them only after they begin driving. Still, Sow. Priya being a mother, would like to talk to them everyday and I am glad to hear that the children stayed awake until late night to talk to her.

Viswa

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I see that you are confusing TSA-Pre-check and Global Entry programs for low-risk, trusted travellers in domestic and international airtravel, with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. This STEP scheme is FREE. One has to inform the state department that a US citizen, with Passport #xyz, will be in certain city,country during certain specific dates. The government would then know who they have to look for in case of a local emergency in that country, and evacuate them home at our government's expense. And besides, because they already know that a citizen is there, they already have the name and passport number, and many cases, the local address; and in case, there is a loss of passport, they don't need to get a copy or call anyone on stateside. STEP has nothing to do with airport security procedures.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

moved to previous note...

10. Viswamitra

I got it. Thank you. I have created a profile for my wife and added the trip.

Viswa