1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Home alone one night!!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by mansimahi, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

I was alone in the house. It was getting dark. I didn’t know when my parents would get back home. The lights flickered and then died. Darkness filled the house. I was extremely tired.. My head was throbbing, i wanted to sleep but sleep eluded me. I lay on the bed wide awake and in pain. I had come back from my hostel just today . My muscles ached...Distantly i heard the chimes of the clock..I counted and it was already 12.00, midnight. Where are my parents? They should have returned by now. Earlier in the evening, i heard my neighbour telling someone that my family had gone for a funeral. Why didn’t they tell me?

I turn and pull my blanket up. The shadows in the window and the sound of things that go bump in the night scare me. I dive deep into the covers and shut my eyes and ears against any sound and try to sleep. Just when i thought i would sleep..I hear a knock at the door and also a distant howl of a dog. I tell myself that whoever is at the door will go if i ignore it....but the knocks come louder. I get up wondering who on earth is knocking at this time of night..Why cant they ring the bell. I turn to switch on the light....i realise there is still no power...the knock has now stopped..Was there really a knock or was it my imagination?? I thank my lucky stars that whoever it is at the door has left and turn back to my bed. ,,,just as i turn...i hear the soft sounds of movement with the chimes of anklets in the hallway...and I also hear someone humming of a song ...I am scared stiff but yet perversely curious to see who could it be...was that a thief? Maybe i should arm myself..and i looked around for something that could be used to defend myself...I see an apparition moving in the hallway....I swallow my scream and somehow gather courage and croak "who are you?"....the shadow turns to me ...I look at her and realise it is a woman and feel that i have seen her somewhere before....she has a saddest look on her face. I don’t want anything better than to hide myself somewhere but something compels me to talk to her. I stand rooted to the spot.. She tells me her name and she had come for an interview to this city when the bus she was travelling met with an accident.....but she didn’t know anyone around and so she had followed me to my home......she tells me that she is an orphan...she had moved to this city to look for a job and was excited to start a new life and is now sad that she is dead.

OMG, this woman is really a ghost., i am not dreaming . Wait till i tell my brother – he always ridicules me for believing in ghosts and spirits – i bet he will be sorry. Incredibly, I don’t feel scared anymore but instead begin to feel sorry for her... but still had the nagging feeling that i had seen her somewhere... She closed her eyes and i sat watching her helplessly. I mean what could one talk to a ghost? I had many questions about the spirit world but didn’t know how to ask....there was silence for a while. Then i ask her...what is it like to be dead....she says 'nothing special...it is just like being alive but different in some ways......you should know" she smiles. I am startled...how would i know....she just smiles mysteriously....I try to ignore her smile and instead ask her ‘haven’t i seen you somewhere?"... She laughs....and that laugh was eery and grating...for the first time i felt afraid... very afraid... she looks at me straight in my eyes and and says "hahahaa...you were sitting right next to me in the bus in which we both died..we were talking when the bus suddenly rolled into the valley and we both died instantly" I scream... "NOOOOOOOOOO".....the woman is no longer there. I wonder if it is a nightmare ?? I pinch myself...ouch!!! omg..it is indeed real. I walk slowly back into my room...I look at the mirror....there is no reflection there....maybe it is due to the darkness..I switch on the light..I see the power is back...but still there is no reflection in the mirror.... I run back to the hallway...and in the hall i see a garlanded picture of myself ....... I drop down shocked....ohhh.. i realise it is my funeral that my family had gone to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19 people like this.

2. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

That was a scary, scary post!

3. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sister,

Happy 2012,

It was quite thrilling and at one shot I read it being inquistive, Good naration and sequence of thoughts.

4. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi mansi
    Another super thread from you, loved the style of building and holding the suspense element.,..... And I thank my stars I,m not home alone tonight!... Cas surely I cannot sleep after this!
    Mega

5. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Thanks aspire for the first feedback .......this was my first attempt . Glad :)-)) you found it scary.

6. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Thanks sakthi

7. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

awww thanks mega ..i am glad i NOT home alone tonight too :D

8. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

sumitha,
    i was thinking you were talking about the Ouija board episode you mentioned in your last snippet from the title of this but am wrong..you were making us laugh with your snippets and suddenly why these scary stories dear..
    well the story had good element of suspense and thrilling..

9. lovelyme

lovelyme Silver IL'ite

UUUffffffffffff........ that was scary.... yet so beautifully written

Thanks for making my sleep vanish...

10. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

A really good turn to the story!