Hiring House Cleaners In America

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So, cleaners coming in once a week or twice a month in a luxury that is almost a necessity for many Indian families who live in America.

Weekend is filled with kids' activities, grocery shopping, social gatherings, and more. It makes sense to hire cleaners who will come and clean the entire house in 2-3 hours, leaving it sparkling and shiny.

Well almost.. doesn't make sense to me...

I've seen my friends who schedule their life around cleaners' appointment and availability. One friend works from home those 3-4 hours. Then, there is prep work to be done before cleaners come. Kitchen counters have to be emptied! Children's toys put away.

Is it really worth having cleaners when there is so much work to get that help?

I do know one friend who has given the cleaners the keys to her house, and they come in and clean it during the week, and she doesn't do any 'getting the house ready for cleaners.'

Nylaa and Sandycandy like this.

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Its still a luxury for me. Have got help a couple of years when kids were little now Roomba to the rescue. Stills things need to be arranged rearranged. Rest self help.

Nylaa, sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  3. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

We stay in 2 bedroom apartment I M sahm I manage to clean house in free time.

But my co-sister (dh cousin wife) who stays in duplex house. 2 Income. 2 teenage kids. Hardly have time even in weekend taking kids to lots of classes. She has a Mexican come twice a month. I was staying there for month when I came usa. As u said she did work from home when cleaning lady was coming and emptied kitchen counter as u said. She hurried us to finish lunch by 12. Because she wanted to utilise her to clean entire kitchen including sink and counter tops and dusting microwave toaster n things.

3 bathtubs, 4restrooms. Dusting , cleaning, vacuum, mopping,. Dusting kitchen items, wiping windows. With 2 people it took 3hrs. She was telling she can't afford 6hrs ie almost 1 full day (6hrs plus cooking and daily routine work) work every fortnight.
    She would rather spend time with her daughter watch her practice bharatanatyam help her son with college applications and relax if any time is left..

So I guess it depends on individual needs based on their available time and affordability

Nylaa, gknew, sindmani and 3 others like this.
  4. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

That has to be done irrespective of who does the cleaning .

I was about to write a long post here but I will just it sum it up for now :

To each it’s own .Ultimately it’s all about priorities and how to manage them. We cannot put everyone in the same category and pass sweeping comments as to how lazy they are . Young couples with no kids , family with little kids , empty nesters , sahm, everyone has different commitments and priorities so what works for one may not work on other . Different people , different priorities. I find it annoying when sahm are judged for keeping maids as if that is what they are born to do !

People can be as judgmental as they want but what really irks me is that we women have to always justify the choices that we make . After all everyone deserves to be happy so if hiring a maid for WHATEVER reason it may be or doing all the chores themselves make them happy then who are we to judge .

Nylaa, shravs3 and Sandycandy like this.
  5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I used to find it stressful to have cleaners come with all the prep work!! But these days, I don't prep.... and the cleaners come and clean around whatever stuff is on the counters. I do find it at least that the cabinets look clean without grease and the stove tops wiped off, not to mention the bathrooms cleaned and sheets changed. I have 2 young kids and work full time, so I definitely find it very helpful to have someone one come and take this one chore off my hands.

It is definitely a life-style choice. I know of people that can afford to have them, choose not to and still manage to keep a spic and span house. Me, even as a SAH not M, I was just happy to off load my chores to anyone who would do them for me!!

sindmani likes this.
  6. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

It's a design flaw...born lazy! I used to cry (literally in tears) to do house cleaning at the initial days of our marriage. My DH used to clean the house and eventually, he gave up on cleaning (after me?).

I was sitting by the window. Looked 'serious'.
    My son asked, what are you thinking?
    I said, nothing!
    He said, you looked like you were 'thinking' seriously!:confundio1::confundio1::confundio1:

'Summa Irukkirathu Summa easy Illai' --- doing nothing is not an easy task :D:D:D.

[​IMG]

Mehana, Amica, joylokhi and 7 others like this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Lol :roflmao:

poovai and sindmani like this.
  8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

@poovai that Vadevelu image... you should make it a meme :-D

poovai and sindmani like this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I now have a biweekly cleaning lady. She comes in on a telework day, because I have a dog who gets nervous around the vacuum. We don't do any special prep, but we have formed the habit of picking up each night and keeping sinks, stove and counters wiped down. So she can spend some of her time doing some extra cleaning tasks that we don't get to all the time. A worthwhile investment for sanity.

sindmani, Nylaa and peartree like this.
  10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

:tearsofjoy::tonguewink:;). True, it is not an easy job.... what an image !:lol:

poovai likes this.