1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hindu Marriage Ceremonies Need Compeering

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by suryakala, Jul 13, 2012.

1. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Hindu Marriage Ceremonies Need Compeering

I always wondered at the high traditions, beauty, meaning significance and purpose of every ritual in every ceremony in a Hindu’s life.The Hindu wedding is one such beautiful ceremony. Having attended many ceremonies after a careful understanding of the Mantras and rituals I always enjoy attending a Hindu Wedding.

This in no way to be construed, that other Wedding ceremonies are in anyway less beautiful.

Recently I attended one Hindu Marriage. As usual, I was very eager to hear the Mantras recited by the Pandit and the Bridegroom and the Bride, Parents, uncles etc who were supposed to perform the assigned roles, see the associated rituals and participate in the process of blessing the newly weds.

Unfortunately I was in for a disappointment.

The ‘Nadaswaram’ team was in full blast using a microphone before and throughout the Ceremony drowning all other sounds. The Pandit was not given a microphone and nobody in the audience could hear what he or the couple recited.

Almost everyone in the audience was talking with their friends and relatives. Nobody was bothered or interested in following the proceedings. There was so much of noise all around, with people greeting each other catching up since their last meeting, people suddenly leaving with their family for attending another marriage being held in the same ‘Muhurtham’ etc. Whenever the Pandit or someone on the stage (Mandap) raised their hands the Nadaswaram stopped their blare and switched over to Getty melam (Climax sound) for a few seconds, and went back again to routine!

The Pandit was in a hurry, and did not bother whether what he recited was followed by any of the person involved or whether the Bridegroom and bride repeated the mantras correctly and fully. Everybody did what others did, without understanding why or how it was done.

It was frustrating to note how nobody bothered about what is happening at the ceremony except for the ‘Getty Melam’ and tying the Mangal Sutra.

This marriage brings to my memory some of the North Indian Hindu marriages (Normally held after the sunset, unlike in south) where,after the arrival of Bharat and’ Milni’ (In which the two families exchange the Garlands), everybody rushes to the dinner and leave while the actual marriage ceremony is held late at night, after everybody has left with only a handful of close relatives. It is strange that none was expected to be there for the actual marriage ceremony for which such elaborate arrangements were made and expensive invitations were printed and distributed. Another disappointing twist to the beauty of the Hindu Wedding!.

I think I am not alone in my disappointment.

Hindu wedding rituals and Mantras are the best form of settling a contract even if considered from the view point of procedures of settling a valid contract. Yet they contain all larger social and spiritual and personal obligations expected of a man and a woman taking the responsibility of starting a married life. The rituals are very rich and full of meaning and in the highest tradition of uniting a man and the woman in a life- long bond.

It is time that the marriage is well compeered by a person who knows the significance of every stage, action and Mantra in a marriage. The compeer should ensure that everybody who is participating in the marriage including the guests perform their roles with serenity and the spirit of the marriage. The sequence of events should be listed and distributed, or informed to the audience.

If the ceremony is performed with full understanding by the Bride and the Groom, it will go a long way in giving a strong foundation and beginning for the lovely life ahead of them.

Hope we will revisit the trend and hand over the restored meaningful tradition of our marriage ceremonies to the future generation.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

A Very sensible & matured post Suryakala.

Yes, our marriage ceremonies have just become a process that are being followed without understanding and during the time it has lost the purpose of it. everyone will be busy in their worlds.

Thats why i feel, Marriage should be a private affair with just those people who can really spare those few minutes and stand by bride & groom and wish & bless them. We need not to have all these elaborated & expensive proceedings, instead bride & groom should be able to understand the real essence of Marraige and the commitment they give for each other.

A Well Written blog :thumbsup.

3. suryakala

Thanks for your beautiful feedback and your liking the post, Pallavi.

I am totally with you in that the marriage should not be very expensive and not be used as a vehicle to convey one's status in the society. Commitment for each other is more important than anything else in the ceremony.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think it depends on the Iyer/Saastrigal who conducts the marriage. There are a few who actually do a good job of explaining what the rituals are about and what each mantra means.

With intercaste marriages increasing, the families conducting the marriages can print a small guide/information paper on what is actually happening.

5. suryakala

Dear Ramya,

Thanks for your contribution. Yes, it also depends on the Iyer/Saastrigal who conducts the marriage. In fact we distrbuted a brochure explaining the steps in the marriage to the foreign guests who were there in large numbers for my Son's marriage. This was very well received with appreciation.

6. angelicahoward

angelicahoward New IL'ite

Wedding traditions and customs vary greatly between cultures, ethnic groups, religions, countries, and social classes. The idea of promising yourself to one person for the rest of your life has been constant in differing societies around the world. However, the method of binding two people together varies greatly from culture to culture, sometimes in very amusing ways. Hindi weddings are in some ways very similar to U.S. weddings. However, instead of using a wedding ring placed on the left hand, a toe ring is used. It is worn on the second toe of the woman. The men do not usually wear one.