Hindu Funeral Rites

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by GeetaKashyap, Aug 18, 2018.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

In the wake of Sri Atalji's demise, I was a mute witness to a discussion on the relevance or irrelevance of Funeral Rites, specifically the Hindu Funeral Rites. What are the relevance of events and activities like pind daan, tithi/shraad, 12th day, 13th day, yearly rituals, dispersal of ashes in the rivers etc? I would be grateful if you could share the information/ relevant links to articles (written by you or anyone else) discussing these events scientifically with reference to the present times.

What happens if someone doesn't believe in it or do the same for their parents/near dear ones? Is it not just enough to bid a respectful farewell?

Please share your point of view and opinions without any hesitation. Diverse thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Rihana, kaniths, PavithraS and 3 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

3. GeetaKashyap

Thank you so much, Sir. In fact, yesterday night, I did come across the above link and shared it with my friend too. This link talks about the concepts mentioned in our scriptures like the 3 loks, negative energies etc which are difficult to prove scientifically.

Author of the following articles, Sri Subhash Sharma (Lamberdar), has shared these links and I am yet to go through them.

(1) "Cremation and its origin in Hinduism" --- Cremation and its origin in Hinduism by Dr. Subhash C. Sharma
    (2) "Misquoting religious texts to support casteism and rituals and oppose widow-remarriage" --- Misquoting religious texts to support casteism and rituals and oppose widow-remarriage by Dr. Subhash C. Sharma

4. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Funeral rites are cultural. Different cultures have different ways. Even the same religion/sect/castes across geographical regions follow different ways. Do we for one moment believe that only our process (whatever that is) alone grants the open doors to heaven/salvation (if it is even there)?
    I believe that the rites are performed more for the living, to get closure and help move on than for the dead.

Rihana, PavithraS and GeetaKashyap like this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

Thanks, Agree 100% with you.

When the rites are performed more for the living, to get a closure and help move on than for the dead, why not simplify the procedures in keeping with the changing times?

Rihana likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@GeetaKashyap
    Dear Geeta
    The so called death Samskara has now become as obsolete as the punishment meted out to the dead for the sins they committed when alive as described in Garuda Purana. In Chennai museum there is a whole section that describes the punishment for the dead. When I was a school goer, this section used to be teeming with people but now this section is deserted. My brother passed away a few months back. He was a scholar and deeply rooted in Vedic Hindu customs. But his son had no faith in them. When my brother had to go through the 'anthim samskara', the son declared that he had no faith in these rituals. He did not even remove his shirt and performed a five minute basic ritual before consigning the body to fire. He did not perform any ceremonies thereafter. There is an old age home that I visit regularly. An old man passed away recently and his son who is US resident sent a remittance to the old age home asking them to do the final rituals as he was attending to something very important which could not be left midway.
    Our belief in these rituals is not of much use unless we convey the same to our succeeding generation. Our Samskara requires us to have the details of three generations before us. I wonder if the present generation will go that deep into their family history. The problem is that we cannot teach the Samskara to our successive generations. For example, Garuda Purana is not recommended for daily reading and it be used only when we bid farewell to the dead. I was told by a scholar that people who narrate Garuda Purana on the 13th Day would have to take a purifying bath and observe fasting. If the younger generation is losing faith in all these, the older generation with their rigidity is to blame for it.
    Sri

7. GeetaKashyap

Hats off to you, Cheeniya Sir. What a practical approach and thought! I concur with every single point you have made.

Finding a logical reason would help the present generation to do whatever is to be done with honesty. To me this is very important. Often people do things out of fear like incurring Pitru dosha, bad luck etc. Any act of love and honesty should weigh above an act done under duress. Whenever a person refuses to follow the traditions unnecessary discussions, comments and even the curses come into the picture. When the basic love or respect is missing, don't rituals lose meaning? This motivated me to find logics behind some of our rituals.

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

A very learned person who came to perform the Kumbabishekam of the Hindu Temple of Florida is a very respected individual for interpreting Veda. He has set up Shashwata Dharmika Kriya Samiti in Srirangapatna for people to pay for their own rituals post their demise. The rituals are performed in the banks of Kauveri. It looks like that is the best option available for the generation believing the final rites as the next generation is most likely not to perform the rituals (in some cases they don't believe in it and in other cases, they are not familiar with it).

Viswa

PavithraS, GeetaKashyap and Cheeniya like this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

@Cheeniya, @Viswamitra and @Brevity.

Sri Subhash Sharma's article, "Misquoting religious texts to support casteism and rituals and oppose widow-remarriage" --- Misquoting religious texts to support casteism and rituals and oppose widow-remarriage by Dr. Subhash C. Sharma, has a beautiful quote from Bhagavad Gita that seems to answer our query satisfactorily. I had noted it down yesterday but I forgot this most important quote and got carried away.:facepalm: My apologies.

Arjuna: "there will not be proper religious rituals for the departed (dead) ancestors, and it will result in the suffering (hell) for that family (living members and the dead / departed)."

Krishna (according to Gita -- Ch. 2: V. 2-3, 11-13, 17, 22, 27; Ch. 16: V. 19-22): "Arjuna’s concerns and objections to doing his duty (fighting the battle for righteousness) are baseless. For example, there is no death of the soul (in a battle or elsewhere) and it only changes the body at the time of death according to the previous karma (actions). Moreover, there are no benefits or losses to it later, even from the religious rituals afterwards by others. Eternal soul’s condition (good or bad) after death and the attainment of everlasting peace and salvation are essentially dependent on a person’s attitude and conduct (good or bad) while living (the Gita: Ch. 2 – V. 71-72)."

PavithraS likes this.
  10. GeetaKashyap

Sir,

I googled the reference given by you. I am posting the link of Dr V Bhanuprakash Sharma,
    here: Shashwathi Dharmika Kriya Samithi at Srirangapatna, Karnataka 571438, India

PavithraS likes this.