1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Highly Stressed Out with Kid not Eating and Loosing Weight & Work.

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Aug 24, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all

My Lo( 1 yr) has been going to daycare from nanny. Its been more than a month now. She cries less now but her health and habits have been going down.

She has become too aggressive & stubborn at home.

LO has stopped eating anything...not even her fav foods. Few weeks back, she was not even drinking milk but now at least at home she drinks milk, but only from bottle ( from me mostly or dad). I wake up at 6 am to cook variety for her if something, some kid of food, some color catches her interest but she does not even open her mouth once.

At daycare, they give her milk in sippy and she does not accept it. With bottles, they will not put her in lap and feed. Every evening, they tell me yes she ate little, getting better, but its always "little" food.

I can see it from her poop. At home she is not eating, I do ont think she eats there.Their meal rime starts at 11. At 11:20 am, they say she naps. 20 mins of meal time.

Then they tell me to send dry table foods that she can pick on her own. I try but their are some non-dry foods I have slight chances she will eat but other foods..nah.

On her own, she will put 1 bite and rest throws away.

Then she suffers cold cough constantly and will not take any medicine or honey. Forcing meanings vomit. I do not think it is sickness making her not eat, as she had stopped eating before she caught the germ.

she is not at all interested in eating. Docs/friends tell if she is hungry she will eat. I do not think this is her case. Since she is not eating, I try to give her milk however she wants, in bottle.

She was such a good girl before. There was nothing on the earth she did not eat and liked it.

I am worried she is dropping weight and her clothes are hanging on her now. I have started giving her all kind of processed/non-processed food and cook variety but no.
    This has caused so much stress in me and we have fights all the time at home.

Me and H both have phone calls early in the morning. It is so difficult we both with phones in hands on mute, making her eat, drinking etc etc. Putting her in front of TV or iPAD, because we are too tired.. I am so guilt filled all the time.

With our schedules not able to drop her at daycare before 10 am, then pick her by 5- 5:30 pm. Work suffers & I hear from manager. We both work in hectic envrinment where day-off does not mean work also off. We have to finish work in given time so day- off just piles up work for another day and I have young, unmarried people to compare with :-((((.

At least with nanny, She was her by 9 am and we used to wait desperately. If not eating, nanny will try many times but daycare woman has 13-14 kids.

May be I should wait for another year. Please suggest... Inspite of so much planning of menus, packing boxes, etc, nothing is in control.

Oh.. Her pee prequency has drastically reduced and always yellow. Before also it used to be but now its all the time yellow.

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

re: Highly Stressed Out with Kid not Eating and Loosing Weight & Work.

@Sanjuruby3

Sorry for what you are going through, Its a big change for your LO and your work pressure is stressing you out. Keep cool and think, stressing and fighting will not solve any.
    Did you get ur LO checked by your doctor ? To rule out any other infections she might be having ?

If you think your LO is not adjusting, hire a nanny and ask her train as per daycare schedule. May be after few months once she fits that schedule and foods she can join day care again.

Every baby is different, it took almost 6 months for my DS to drink milk with sippy with out any fuzz. They take time to adjust so be patient, singing songs and making meal time fun helps a alot.

3. sanjuruby3

Yes, we have seen seeing doc on weekly basis :-( . ..

Be it regular visit or cold or some rash or throwing up in daycare because she was new that time and not adjusting.

If she eats well, it will be all fine. I am browsing internet for same all the time and different recipes for her...my mind is always on her, all the time.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My kids are much older. Still they need my undivided attention in the morning. A half-hour devoted just to them and our joint breakfast, without me running around harried, sets the tone for their day and mine.

Things run smoother for your child, the daycare staff and other children in the daycare if all mostly arrive by a given time. Think about it - if you have lot of guests at home - does it work if each comes in his own time for food, tea, snacks throughout the day?

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Are you sure that this childcare is OK? I would be suspicious of neglect or verbal abuse since she has had such a drastic change. Not saying it's definite but we all know some are better than others.

6. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Is she clinging too much to u when u pick her up and at home, in such a way that she has a fear of "u will leave her and go".
    Pas at this age baby will be more clingy and the have separation anxiety. And also she went to India again started day care so many changes for her.

do u think her not eating is because o f this fear, anxiety? Then u need to spend more and more time with her to assure her.

may be her stomach is upset because of lot of milk drinking, or may be because of not eating properly.

Can u try Friday real day off and u will get 3 days to concentrate on her. Is she eating better on weekends?

after 2 Yesrs my son started playing other kids. Before he was not into other kids.

now ur daughter not really looking forward to meet other kid or her care taker I think, as said by other friend may be this daycare not suiting for her.

7. sanjuruby3

She clings when I drop her but she is getting better. Does not cry a lot as she used to be.

She clings when I pick her up.

We have friday off for her. Some weekends she eats better and I have noticed even I take her out in a restaurant, while she is busy saying hi to others, I can make her eat food. I can not do that at every meals. Not that I prefer TV/iPad but we do it out of desperation but it does not help. She just pushes my hand with spoon coming to her and will keep doing it :-(((( I can not see her weight going down like this. :-(((

8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Did u try porridge receipes, my son liked rice and moong dal porridge.

dry roast seperately, make ravva kind by grinding it in mixie. store this powder in dabba.

to make porridge, use 1 table spoon powder mixed in half glass of cold water, keep it aside, boil 3 small glasses of water, when it is boiling add this ravva which you kept aside, and let it boil in medium heat for 10 min, and then mix some salt and ghee to it, and boil for 5 more minutes,

when it is little hot, feed baby, it it gets very cold it wont be nice,

my kid loved it, he ate it for several months. once per day.

Try to tell her again and again that mom will come and pick u soon. as she is very young she cant understand what u r saying. but she can understand few words, tell and assure her and give hugs and kisses, while telling.

9. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Try finger foods.. put it in a plate and let her explore..

10. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

change the daycare. 13-14 kids is a lot of kids for 1 or2 persons to handle esp at this age. ideal should be 6-8 or less. There are such ppl you have to ask around. Go to close by park every evening, make friends there and ask ppl you are looking for a good trusted daycare close to your home. try for a good home daycare with 6-8 kids. go with trusted references. meanwhile for the short term pull her out. if her health takes a serious setback it will cause more problems. Not worth it.