High glucose levels 7 weeks post delivery- Too much worried

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by riyasen2015, Aug 6, 2015.

1. riyasen2015

riyasen2015 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I was diagnosed of gestational diabetes and now had a follow-up testing done 7 weeks post delivery. My A1C is 5.1, Fasting is 71 but 2 hr Glucose is 167 ( Normal is less than 140). So I have been diagnosed with Pre-diabetes. I am so worried because I also have thyroid ( probably both because of few stressful life events over past few yrs)

I have read that one needs to loose weight, exercise and eat good. Since I am already low weight and also active, does that mean in my case diet control will decide mostly ?

Do I need to follow a strict GD diet or where can I find good resource to look for diet control ?.
    Will I be able to return to normal life where I can eat anything\everything ?. If I would have stayed on GD diet may be 2-3 weeks post delivery or had gradually shifted, would that have helped ?

Thanks
    Riya

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

May be you should look out on the carbohydrate intake. Mostly that will be the reason behind sugar levels. Reduce the carbohydrate intake and increase protein and fiber rich foods.

3. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

i think GD takes some time to settle down after child birth. it is not immediate. I would say go back to gd diet it won't do any harm. all the best.

4. gitagita

gitagita Bronze IL'ite

You can try a low carb high protien diet for reducing weight and controlling blood glucose level.
    But take care to eat lots of vegetables and fruits so that your body will get the minerals and vitamins.
    Good luck