1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

High fat , Low carb diet = awesome!

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by pickles, Feb 13, 2015.

1. pickles

pickles Bronze IL'ite

So I have been trying to get from 66kg to 60 kg by cutting calories.
    I am a vegetarian and have a standard Indian diet, so it goes without saying that its high carb.
    The problem I was having with this since last 6 month is that when I track calories and have a deficit, by end of the work day I am so hungry that I usually end up eating a cupcake or something from my cafeteria, and my deficit goes down the drain.
    So like this I was stuck at 66 for a looong time!

Then I discovered LCHF (low carb, high fat). In this I track all my nutrients via myFitness Pal. The goal of LCHF is to eat about 75% fat, 5-10% carbs, 15-20% proteins, while maintianing a deficit of 400-500 calories per day.

Now why is this so awesome ? Because, fats are filling ! Since I started this diet 3 weeks ago, there is not a single day when I feel hungry, or crave for junk foods.
    I eat healthy fats..

Here are my sample meals :

Maintenance cal = 1750
    Target calories = 1300

Breakfast :
    100gm Mozerella/feta with 1 chopped tomato = 300 cal

Lunch:
    3 egg omelet with onion, bell pepper , 1 tsp olive oil = 400 cal
    1 cup soup (carrot / cauliflower cheese etc.) = 150 cal

Snack :
    15 almonds = 100 cal
    1 cheese slice = 100 cal

Dinner :
    1 cup of cooked green vegetable eg. beans, zuccini, bhindi, spinach etc. = 100 cal
    1 cup soup = 150 cal

After each meal I feel completely satisfied and full. My earlier cravings of junk foods are gone! I could not imagine not eating roti/rice however I do not crave them at all I am surprised ..
    I am losing my target 0.5 kg per week.

Hope this helps some one who is struggling with cravings and stalled weight loss due to binging.

shravs3, vandv, Laks09 and 4 others like this.

2. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

Sounds good. My wife is also talking abt this and wants me to join. Appreciate if you can share the different kinds of vegetarian choices. Also if you could share a journal of how you are making progress, appreciate it.

3. pickles

pickles Bronze IL'ite

Hi Steve,

First step is to calculate your maintenance calories, and other macros like how much fat,carb,protein you will need.

For this, please use this keto calculator :
    Keto Calculator - Learn Your Macros on the Ketogenic Diet

Get your correct values. Signup at myfitnesspal.com
    Then in MyFitnessPal, you can edit your goals to manually change all the macros to the ones found using the calculator, like so :
    The Easiest Way to Track Carbs on a Keto Diet | Ruled Me

Dont be put off by this, this is only a 1 time activity.

Then if you have iphone or andriod, download the MyFitnessPal app to track easily.

Generally the aim is to restrict carbs to less than 25 gms per day. Have high fat and moderate protein. Note that fibres are to be deducted from carbs. eg. if a vegetable has 10 carbs per serving out of which 6 are fibres, then total carb counted = 10-6=4.

I am not so strict on all days. Somedays I eat some dal, yesterday I ate some chole.. but I try to not go over my target calories.

For vegetarian (do u eat eggs ? ).. your options are :
    - eggs
    - cheese .. this is the time to enjoy various kinds of cheese
    - vegetables : spinach, zucchini, bhindi, cabbage, cauliflower, salads etc.
    - avocado
    - mushroom, cucumber, tomato(less), paprika
    - soups are filling and less calories
    - paneer !! i eat matar paneer all the time :)

things to avoid: carby stuff like roti, rice, bread, pasta, potatoes. also no fruits.

This website has lots of nice veg LCHF recipes:
    The KetoDiet Blog | Vegetarian & Vegan

My progress:
    Started on 25 Jan : 66 kg
    current weight : 64.4 kg

1 person likes this.
  4. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

Appreciate your kindness in taking the time to reply in detail. I will study it all. Thank you.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09,add a foot note on the main post..

not to be tried if a person is diabetic, or is having some treatment. thyroid patients too. i cannot completely give you the detailed reasons as i am not a person in the medical field. but i believe low carb, high fat could mess up with the insulin.

also not for people with cholesterol issues..

@pickles all the best to you. ketogenic diets do work, but again depends on the person, the metabolic system of the person and more. i am sure you won't object my asking @laks09 to add that foot note..

but there is one thing i believe strongly, no short cuts.

2 people like this.
  6. pickles

pickles Bronze IL'ite

Yes please add footnote .
    This is no shortcut, jusy good for people like me who have junk food cravings and hunger pangs on normal deficit diet.