1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Here Comes The Hotstepper: With Mira And Kartik

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Novalis, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet Finest Post Winner

"When you hunt, go to where they come to drink" -- Jim Corbett.
    Corbett was a famous hunter of India. Even has a national park, a Tiger reserve, named after him.

Going into a mustard field with a cowbell may have been the ishtyle way back then, but now people have to go where they serve cocktails, or at the very least some tea. Jim C. had the right advice.

2. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Just when I have started to feel trifle conditioned that I probably have heard every doled-out advice on dating, you pull out the Jim C trick on me. Mustard fields and cowbells are iconic and eternal! They might have escaped your attention but they are forever to stay. Couples might later bicker on the mustard-borne pollen fever or brassy bells after being swept away initially. Tinga tinga!

Your cocktail spin too has scope just that the love anthem for those cupid aspirants would supersede from "Tujhe Dekha Toh" to an intoxicating "Main Rang Sharbaton Ka, Tu Meethe Ghaat Ka Pani". Jim C contrived a wholesome plan! Go to the pond, plenty of fish, if no fish, then at least you may enjoy the drink angling for a fish.

3. Amulet

Doris Day passed on a couple of days ago. I was filled with thoughts of "perhaps..perhaps..perhaps.." PPP- song was used in the titles of the Brit-TV show "Coupling", where people hunt at the water-hole. If you hadn't seen that show, here is a link to the first episode:

In this show, they exchange fishes and loaves -- (loaves = people who loaf at the water hole)-- and behave biblical.

I hadn't heard of DDLJ till it had already run 5+ years at the Vic.Terminal movie theater.

4. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Yo! Bookmarked.

You know why I like you? You breathe such imagination into a spontaneous metaphor — fishes and loaves! You dream a little dream in my random and erratic ‘fish’ metaphor turning into feast of inventive play.

Amulet likes this.
  5. Amulet

RFLOL ! That is cue for Aunty @Rihana to shoo us off to our room.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 5:09 AM
  6. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Dear Kartik,

Do you recall this dialogue from "Me Before You" novel?

“You know, you would never have let those breasts so close to me if I weren’t in a wheelchair,’ he murmured.
    I looked back at him steadily. ‘You would never have looked at my breasts if you hadn’t been in a wheelchair.’
    ‘What? Of course I would.’
    ‘Nope. You would have been far too busy looking at the tall blonde girls with the endless legs and the big hair, the ones who can smell an expense account at forty paces. And anyway, I wouldn’t have been here. I would have been serving the drinks over there. One of the invisibles.’
    He blinked.
    ‘Well? I’m right, aren’t I?’
    Will glanced over at the bar, then back at me. ‘Yes. But in my defense, Clark, I was an arse.”

Though Will and Lou exchange a knowing smile after that dialogue ..I began to wonder ...is it true of circumstantial love?

A patient falls in love with an attentive nurse, a struggling immigrant falls in love with a fellow immigrant, a person who finds themselves in unfortunate circumstances falls in love with the nearest affection. Will smirked off Lou's observation of the handsome wizz in him not resting his eyes on the unremarkable if not for his ongoing debilitation.

How circumstantially biased are we in love?

Your,
    Nudge

upload_2019-5-20_13-32-16.png

Dear Mira,

I steeled myself for another bollywood interrogation from you but your inquiry has upped the ante of your feisty undertakings. By the way, I exchanged the gifted shirt you bought for me last week as it was too pale in colour. Bee, buy me tasteful shirts or condescendingly gift me an Amazon coupon.

So, circumstantial love, eh?

Will and Lou both sensed the situational guile in their blossoming romance. Will would not have noticed Lou had he not been incapacitated in the accident, and Lou would not persisted to befriend Lou had she not been appointed as her care taker. Many committed partners are befuddled in the transitional loves on fleet of circumstances. What did I earlier fancy in him/her? The partner has not drastically changed yet our mutual love diminishes with circumstantial shift. When the patient gets out of the hospital the nurse is no longer in spotlighted affection, when the breakthrough immigrant finds work and socializes upward he is not readily besotted by the holding-up immigrant. The love dissipates with change of circumstances.

I find another variant of 'circumstantial love" , i.e, "relative love" also interesting.

Dan Ariely writes about the relative measure in our choices in his book "Predictably Irrational".

The orange circle in both the images is same, yet it appears smaller or larger depending on the adjacent circles.

In that manner, in companionship , we don't reckon the absolute correspondence with our partner but tend to ascertain them relatively, lesser of feared evils or greater of known virtues. A man is appealing in comparison to some other man. A spouse could typify the selection as fallaciously desirous: better than the rest.

upload_2019-5-20_13-32-58.png

What happens when the grey circles vanish? Would the orange standalone circle hold its worth?

In 'circumstantial love', partners oversight the motivation for falling in love; in 'relative love' partners sustain only through comparable misery, within earshot of competing bad choice to assert that other available choices would have been worse. But are such locked-in circumstances and look-out relativity sustainable. Never.

Knowing your continuity brain, I could sense your follow-up inquiry on the kind of love to risk.

Do you recall that quote: 'People who have been single for too long are the hardest to love, because they have become so used to being single, independent and self-sufficient that it takes something extraordinary to convince them that they need you in their life.'

Let no circumstance or relativity nudge you from your unmotivated position but for the compelling prospect you observe in the man that you could love him despite your independence and self-sufficiency. Forbear for that love.

Your,
    Thinking, Slow and Steady

Last edited: May 20, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    nemesis likes this.