1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hemanta Kumar Mukhopadhyay

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There is a similarity between P.G.Wodehouse and Hemanta Kumar.
    You read any book of Wodehouse any number of times and you will continue to laugh hysterically.
    You hear Hemanta's songs any number of times and you are bound to go into ecstasy every time.
    Hemanta's journey into fame has not been a bed of thorns. He was born in a fairly affluent family. Hemanta recorded his first song for All India Radio in 1935 when he was just 15 years old. From there he had a long and colorful journey for 54 years until his death. He cut his first disk in 1937 (age 17) with a couple of non-filmy songs. His first movie as a music director was the Bengali film Abhiyatri in 1947 when he was just 27. He married Bela in 1945 and the marriage lasted till his demise and beyond. He had a son and daughter. His son married Moushumi Chatterjee, a very well known actress.
    When he migrated from Bengal to Mumbai, he started his career as a singer. He sang several popular songs under the direction of S.D.Burman.
    Nagin, a movie starring Vyjayanthimala was his first major success. He won the FilmFare Award for Music for this film. In 1986, he won the National Award for the Best Male playback singer. He was honored by Sangeet Natak Academy in 1986. He passed away in 1989 and his wife died twenty years later.
    Now take time to listen to some of my favorites:

A fascinating song from Nagin sung by Lata for Vyjayanthi. The hero was Pradeep Kumar.

From the film Ek hi Rastha (1956). Hemant sang for Sunil Dutt and Lata for Meena Kumari.

From the movie Sahib Bibi aur Gulam. Sung by Geeta Dutt for Meena Kumari. The male star is Rehman

From the film Anupama sung by Lata for Sharmila Tagore. Watch the slim and youthful Dharmendra.

From the movie Chumpa Kali. Lata sings for the beautiful Suchitra Sen.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Hemant Kumar's music had a soothing quality and even his singing had the same quality. I love the song you have featured here from Anupama; it is so unique and refreshing. I also like the Champa Kali song featuring the beautiful Suchitra Sen.

One song that soothes me like none other and a song that I can go on listening to eternity is-

Film: Kohra.

Film: Kohra. Unusual lyrics and melodious music.

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Except the last one the other songs are my favorite too

4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,
    First time heard songs " mere dil pukara" , "saanwale salone aaye din" and both songs are in my favorite collection now. :) using less instruments give calmness to listners and I think that is the speciality of old songs. Adding 2 more my favorite songs of Hemant jee's composition.

Soopky song..)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Kuch dil ne kaha - if someone asked me to define a haunting melody, this is the one I would point them to.

6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I have been reading all your posts on the great composers of yore and so thoroughly enjoyed them.

I hope you'll write about 2 of my absolute favorites - C.Ramchandra and Manna De!!

7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir already wrote on C. Ramachandra. Read this Debonair Musical Wizard

8. Cheeniya

@GeetaKashyap
    Waheeda Rehman! I am a great fan of hers. She was born in a small village near Chennai (it was Madras then) in 1938. Her first appearance was as a dancer for a single song in the Telugu movie Rojulu Marayi (1955) when she was 17. It was remade in Tamil in the following year as Kaalam Maari Pochu in the following year in which she did the same dance.

At the 100th day celebration of this movie, Guru Dutt spotted her and took her to Mumbai to train her to act in Hindi movies. Her first movie was with Dev Anand who became her favourite. The movie was C.I.D (1956) She has done beautiful movies with Guru Dutt and Dev Anand. She played both lover and mother of Amitabh Bacchan, as lover in Adalat (1976) and as mother in Trishul (1978) She is now associated with Rang De, an organisation that helps poor to fight against poverty. Born in Chennai as a Tamil girl, appeared first for a dance in a Telugu movie and became a highly successful actress in Hindi!

Mistt and GeetaKashyap like this.
  9. Cheeniya

@iyerviji
    That's why you are my dear sister, Viji

10. Cheeniya

@Mistt
    Waheeda Rehman in both movies selected by you!
    I entirely agree with you. Today music has become a cacophony of sounds. The Music Directors use not less than 50 instruments to make as much as possible. Most of them are electronic instruments. Sad really!

Mistt likes this.