1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Helping My Mother, The Care-giver And Father, The Heart-patient

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by startinganew, Jun 27, 2019.

1. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

My mother has currently been turned to the role of care-giver after my father's recent heart surgery. It has been an emotionally trying time for all of us - the diagnosis, the procedure and the follow up procedure remaining. I have been having many sleepless nights ever since the diagnosis.

My father's diet and lifestyle has to now be on a planned regimen. Father is very active and has always been hands-on in the upkeep of our home (helps sweep and mop, organizes, and does grocery shopping). But he is a work-aholic and stresses himself out in (physically, time-wise and mentally) - in order to be at his productive-best with his life goals - which we all respect and love him for. But are saddened at how his health is the cost he pays with for all this.

We have never had help to cook or clean and parents have managed all these years (when we lived at home, we all helped with chores). Parents live by themselves now and are in 60s and 70s. However the diet restrictions and the cooking involved is really draining my mother and her patience. We have no financial constraints - so the only constraint is that they are used to doing their own chores and cannot for 1 minute imagine that they need help. They think it is much easier doing, than supervising, guiding and getting work done. I have tried in so many ways explaining to them that this mode of operation is not sustainable. As each day goes by, and every time I talk to them - I hear and fear the stress and animosity growing between them. Instead of rejoicing in each other's company during retirement - they seem to get argumentative for every small reason.

They visit us abroad every couple of years for 6 months.
    When they are not with us - I don't know how to help them. I feel at a loss and helpless at not being able to contribute to their daily well-being - especially at trying times like this when I have to be so far.

Fortunately I am going to be visiting them for a short while (as much as my work will permit) soon.

How can I really help them? Both when I visit and now when I am far?

One thing I am going to do is to get some domestic help when I am there - whom I will help train and supervise. And show them that it could help their quality of life.

They both have extremely different interests (mother: temples, spirituality, eating out, movies/serials/magazines) (father: tech gadgets, maintaining/cleaning home, ). I am not sure how I can help them enjoy each other's companies and do at least some pleasurable activity for respite from the daily monotony of life.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

It’s hard to change people esp at their old age. If they have worked all their life it’s a punishment for them to be idle. Personally, I would rather die doing things that I love rather than doing nothing n being miserable just to prolong my life for a few more months.

When there’s less work / daily n diet cooking / house chores to do, stress will reduce, your mom will start to get rid of the stress which will calm her down.

On top of this, if they want to do any work around the house, it’s purely for their own fun rather than obligation, it’s a huge difference both mentally n physically.

Had the same idea when reading your post, since they are uncomfortable with getting help, only you can step in n hire one n train n supervise her via phone on a daily basis to make sure that everything’s on track.

It really doesn’t affect, I know many couples who has different interests n are still happy. Once your mom is free from so much chores on daily basis, it will get better n they will find other common things.

startinganew likes this.
  3. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@startinganew you are an affectionate daughter and i understand your feelings.we are from old school and we like our own cooking and so hesitate to hire a cook .Due to my health condition i convinced myself to have a cook.In our place we have caterers who serve food which is apt for senior citizens.More than two yrs.i got it from them and now have hired a cook to prepare only lunch.you speak to your mother and convince her to hire a cook or atleast a maid.

startinganew likes this.
  4. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

@startinganew yes I face this issue with both in laws and parents. It's hard to convince them . I feel they age to become kids again.

You are doing as much as you can and working on things which is in your control. Changing their mindset is not in your control. So do not worry.
    What you have mentioned is a great idea. Get them a helper when you are there and show them indeed hiring a help would be good . Live experiments work and has worked out in my case .

Not in our control again. My parents are poles apart but at the end of the day they are together and stand by each other when need arises . As long as they are doing what they like to do we shouldn't bother.

Suggest them to take a stroll in the nearby park together (if your dad is permitted to walk).

SinghManisha and startinganew like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op,it is hard to force parents to change when you don't live with them.

Good you are going to spend some time with them.
    Work out a solution that they are happy with other wise they will not follow it up for long.

Father...tell him he has had surgery and needs time to recover. Ask him to keep help for 6 months to a year and then if he wants he can slowly get back to his routine.
    This is a less controlling solution with a promise of him getting back control in his hand once he recovers.

There is nothing wrong in him doing what he does if he enjoys it. Infact a major change in life style often bring other health problems . He is active and as long as he recovers well,he can continue doing work with the approval of doctor.

We as children want our parents to take things easy and enjoy life but our idea of enjoyment may not be same as theirs. The freedom to do what one wants is the biggest joy of all.
    Money is not a constraint ...so I am assuming he likes doing what he does.

Mother....your mother seems overwhelmed by the new responsibilty. Caretaking is very hard.
    Ask her what could be done to make her life easy .
    Let her decide.
    If she wants a cook to come and make food..find one and teach the cook what needs to be done .
    Since they have never kept any help,that itself will be overwhelming . Help her with that.

If she finds getting groceries as troublesome ...get someone to help with that and teach her to get these delivered at home.

If you want long term changes,then make changes with their consent and keeping their comfort level in mind or else they will change things back again.

Do you have a relative closeby who could be kind of a manager for them?

My parents ask one of their nephews to help them out with stuff they they find difficult.This nephew has a low paying job and my parents help him out with money from time to time .Since he is related,they don't want to pay him a fee as he would feel bad...so they help him out with zero percent loans and money / gifts for his family.

Best wishes op...hope you find some workable solution for them.

SinghManisha and startinganew like this.
  6. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Dear @ashneys Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply...

These words hit me hard - because I believe in it completely. But today I am restricting my father - only so that he doesn't literally hurt himself in every way with his work. He can easily skip two meals in a day if he has set his mind to finish some work. He can also get by with very little sleep. He is a perfectionist and hence can get quite unhappy with typical quality of work and will do it all himself. And it is these exactly these things - diet, lifestyle and stress - that are major factors for heart disease (in addition to genetics which we don't have much control over).

And you say a "few months" - but it can be a couple of decades! :-( And your loved ones want every bit of time to be with you.

But I truly take to heart what you say - I cannot make him a "different person" and then hope he will be healthier. that's not possible.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

7. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Thank you very much for your sweet words @periamma and also sharing your situation and how you are handling it.

Yes, I will definitely try out a cook or a maid when I am home so that they can experience what it is like. But the cook will definitely be a valued help when I am visiting because it will be more members. When it is time for me to leave, I am sure they will say it is only two of us and we can manage very well. I have to come up with a good reason for convincing them then.

I will also ask in the local regions forum in IL as to how we might find some caterers like that. (We are from Chennai in the Mandaveli/Mylapore/Adyar locality) Ideally I would like to hire someone by word of mouth - for reasons of reliability and safety. But to "ask around" and then get some one within the few weeks I will be home will be hard. So we might have to use an agency.

8. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Thanks @Anusha2917 dear! Happy to hear you were able to make some successful changes in your home(s). :)

Yes, a walk is highly recommended. But parents can't agree on when they would like to go and how long - so they go on the same route at two different times of the day! :p I used to be proud of each of their strength and independence - now I wish for some positive "dependence" aka companionship? sigh...

9. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Dear @yellowmango You make so many excellent points. thank you very much!
    In my panic, these are the exact reminders I need!!

That's the key. I was of the fact that they will be willing to make drastic changes given the severity of the health situation - but I guess their "comfort" is in going back to the "routine" of their usual life.

Very very true. I have to stress that point. It is a temporary change till we handle what is at hand.

Yes, we had financial constraints growing up but are very comfortable now. But their spending ways have not changed. This is a very good thing in one way but in ways of using resources to improve quality of life - that is not happening.

I ask her and she has very simple requirements. But it involves dad and he is too busy to allocate sufficient time for her.

Yes, this is key and I am forgetting it being in the midst of all the new changes.

No, everyone is quite busy and involved in their lives - understandably. But thank you for sharing how your parents do it. I was actually thinking of this aspect quite a bit. When I was in University we used to spend a lot of time with an elderly aunt and uncle - they were recent empty nesters and missed their own kids a lot and took care of us so well. And we helped them happily with odds and ends around their home and garden. And it was just such a joy to have someone like family when we were thousands of miles away from our parents.

yellowmango likes this.
  10. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Your parents sound like mine. A lot of their issues are self inflicted and beyond a point I cannot help them.
    I try to take care of things to make life easier but they are set in their ways.
    They are very resistant to my efforts to make their life comfortable.
    So at this point, I have decided to let them be and not force my opinions on them.
    People tend to be crankier as they get older. The happy grandparents and the loving older couple only happens in LIC Jeevan Bhima or Pressure cooker ads .

sbonigala and startinganew like this.