Helping my dog make friends with a kitten

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Missfilmy, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Missfilmy

Missfilmy New IL'ite

Hello!

I have a 7 year old spaniel at home. He is generally a very good natured dog, but gets a little unpredicatble if there are sudden changes in the house. For e.g if somebody leaves for some time on holiday, or if we move houses..and so on.

My best friend who has a cat (4 years old) has asked me to take care of her pet while she is gone on holiday (1 week). Since she has really worked hard for this break to spend time with her family...I could not say no.

Of course the big issue is to help my dog and the cat to get along. Has anybody already been through this situation?

2. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi msfilmy,
    That is a tough proposition indeed ! Cats and Dogs are natural enemies unless you rear them together at puppy stage or kitten stage together when in all their innocence they will get along.I doubt that a seven year old dog will accept a cat in its territory and that too he being the only pet will look upon the cat as a real challenge and attack is definite so be watchful .The only thing to do is keep both parties in separate areas where they will not see each other. You can restirict your dogs movements but the cat will have to move in and out I guess.All the best in your venture.You can take them out of their specified rooms/ areas at different times that will help I guess . Since it is only for a week can be managed though you will need to be alert and guard against slip ups !! Best of luck ....do post about how you managed.