1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Help! re: gifted program for kids Toronto

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by tashidelek2002, Oct 28, 2014.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

My goddaughter who is eight was just tested for the gifted program in Toronto. To be accepted into the program you need a 98....she got a 95. We have some suspicions that she might have done better but part of the test was the first time she was exposed to that type of testing (seems something with blocks...maybe IQ testing part) and was very confused by this. So here is our dilemna: should she be retested even if it at the parent's expense? Is the gifted program worth worrying about (parents have heard varying reports about it)? She is in a so/so school: would a move to a better school be adequate to address her potential (she did get 95)? What schools in Toronto are considered desirable?

Thanks for your help in advance......

(Parents were educated in Dharamsala in Tibetan school so all this is new experience for them. Both did higher ed degrees in India.)

2. tashidelek2002

Canadians....always so helpful.....

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Tashi,

Not form Canada, but couldn't keep quiet just as a parent...if the parents can do, I would go with a move to a better school. She is only 8 and the gifted testing happens every year. A better school will certainly give more challenge to her potential and as you may know in the US, most school districts will give another testing free of charge at parent's request and that may be in place in Canada too...

I do hope you get more responses.

4. tashidelek2002

Thanks Srama for responding. Apparently this is some special testing that she received given only to a handful of kids in that school. Her mom told me that it cost the school something like $2000 for the test. They will not give it to her again until 6th grade. We had a family discussion by phone the other night as they have been thinking of moving anyway and I suggested they get serious about it. But the question specifically is whether to make a push for a gifted school or just a better school. I have a personal bias as I don't think that regular schools in any way meet the needs of gifted students. You get all sorts of support if you are "special" but the gifted are given a poor deal.