1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed on removing the stains from iron box.

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by mickeymini, Mar 17, 2011.

1. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi friends can anyone tell me how to clean iron box. I have a cordless, non stick iron box. And because of excess heat when i was ironing some dark coloured shirts the colour got fixed on the iron box. Now it has become a stain on the iron box and i dont know the way to clean it. Does anyone have any idea about cleaning it without damaging the iron. Please help.

2. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

This may mean that the overheat has affected the non-stick coating itself. Otherwise the stain would not have formed in the first place. One possibility is that the ironed fabric was a low temperature plastic material that melted and stuck to the iron.

Get ready a detergent solution. This can be the same clothes washing powder that you use or a liquid hand wash soap diluted with four times water. Heat the iron to a warm temperature not too hot to touch, turn it bottom up, pour a few drops of the soapy water on the stain. This should not boil if you have kept the iron just warm. Use a plastic (disposable) spoon or plastic knife and gently scrape from the outside edge of the stain inwards. If you are lucky the stain should come off (provided the non-stick coating itself was not damaged).

Arunadhri

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

You can use white vinegar to remove the stains from the iron box., mickeymini..

sriniketan

4. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

If it is the plastic print that came off the clothes and stuck to the box, then try the following:

Dip a cotton rag in detergent water. Heat the iron box and rub the plate with this cloth. If the cloth dries up due to the heat, then dip it again in the water. This way the stains come off the plate and will not damage the non-stick plate.

Use a bigger rag to protect your hand from the hot plate.

-Lakshmi

5. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi Arunadhri, thank you so much for your first fb. But have you tried this? Iam worried if it could damage the iron, so if it has already been tried then i can do it without any tension.

6. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi Sriniketan thanks for you fb. Where can i get vinegar(sorry i dont have an idea about where i can get it). Will it be available in provision stores? Have you tried it?

7. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi, thanks for your fb. I dont think it is some plastic print, i think it is some colours from the shirts due to overheat. Will this work for removing the colours from the iron?

8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

You can get vinegar in provision stores.

I never tried it on colors from the clothes. Give it a try and see if it works.

-Lakshmi

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Mickeymini,
    We had tried it on some stain in the iron box..but couldn't remember if it is from the clothes and this tip was from the shop-keeper who sold the iron box.
    As Lashmi pointed out...you can get it from the provision stores.

sriniketan

10. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Mickeymini

Iron stain remover is available in DIY stores. It is easy to use. It comes like a toothpaste and you need to make the iron hot first. Apply the paste on a piece of cotton cloth, then rub the iron the cloth in circular motion, the stain comes of from the iron , wiped off by the cotton cloth. you repeat until the ironing plate is clean.

I have been using it since a long time.All the best!