1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help me out...

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by AnithaPartha, Dec 30, 2009.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Thnx Poo.. Yes, I have people around to help me.. Inspite of all this I tell my Dh am too busy/occupied and also tell him that am tired :rotfl:rotfl

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Yes Anitha. Seeing the progress you can slowly wean with bowl and spoon or sippy after six months or three months thats your choice. Maintaining bottles it one of a tasks. Not a joke, plus half an hour is what you can keep the unused feed for and then just throw it away. In sippy's you cannot give semi solids in case you are planning to give Rithik after six months.

What I did was I supplemented only once a day formula feed for my baby as per my mother's instructions and it helped when I went to church for an hour or so, put the baby on formula. Since the major part was BF, my DD was not confused, but in your case, since the major part is bottle, there may be a confusion.

Till you join, I feel you can BF keeping any one time for bottle feed, I prefered six in the morning for bottle feed and DD got a hang of it. But later after three months I switched to bowl and spoon. Now I am with sippy. You will not realise the difference now that you are at home, but when you start working and Rithik cries @ night it will be difficult to wake up and do the bottle for him. Atleast I faced tremendous challenges in this area, bcoz even DH refused to wake up for preparing the formula/bottle.

One week prior to your joining you get Rithik used to any medium keeping in mind the time you return home and then BF yourself once at home. Don't worry too much, once LO's are hungry then have the milk, it just so motherly of us to worry. Just introduce the right mediums so that it will save nine. One major advantage in BF is the baby is gets the fore and hind milk and it is any better to pumping.

Also wanted to tell you that start marking the expressed BM with a marker for dates, so that the old ones are used first.

Hope the info helps. Fortunately all mothers do not get any awards or rewards for BF or formula feeding and no appreciation too coz all are doing it in and out. Even the government does not recognize how much important it is. Yes, only a mother knows what it takes and can pat her back once a while for doing a good job :).

3. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

:thumbsupLee,

Thanks a ton for your lovely response. I do have few doubts which I will collect and ask all at one time..,

Yeah, am marking all bottles with date & time and using old ones :).. am perfect in that..

*Adding - Yeah I have noticed this fore & hind milk.. What I do is? IN order for Rithik to get hind milk.. I pump all fore milk in a sel bottle & hind milk in sep bottle.. mix 40ml of fore & 40ml of hind and feed him :)

Few quick questions to all ladies here -
    1. When am working only my MIL & FIL can feed him thru bottles and I can get a chance in thr eve time to feed rithik.. in this way bonding between son & mother will go away? or he will get more attached with MIL or FIL than me? am very much concerned about this point dear..

2. Is it okay if my MIL feed him in night time after joining work.. At home, bottle prep is not a big deal for me right now coz, I pump and save 75ml in each bottle sep ly and store in fridge for say 12.30am 3.30am like that.. so all MIL need to do is take bottle put in warm water for 10min and feed him thats all

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  4. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Anitha you are too good @ hind milk and foremilk in bottles, very well thought through :thumbsup

1) I do not know about whether bonding will go away. Mothers are even guilty of not nursing the baby from day 1, I am sure it has something to do with bonding. I have my maid @ home who gives my baby the feed, but when I return home, I find the joy of being together and BF just unites us and helps in my bonding. That's how my baby has been able to identify that I am special and I feel good. I would explain it even better, but in a gross manner. How does DH and you bond? I am sure there is a special connection.

2) Anyone can feed Rithik that's not a problem. Its just how much more close you need to get to him. Believe me, even the entire life is not enough to get close to LO's, its just the beginning. LO's will be thankful for the BF not BM.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Lynette, children are far more malleable and flexible and sturdy than we give them credit for. But coming to your statement that breastfeeding and bottlefeeding do not go together: there are a million working breastfeeding and pumping and bottle feeding moms out there who will tell you, YES, it is possible to both breastfeed and bottlefeed at the same time. Sindhu is one of those moms who has done it.

6. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Tikka thanks, if only milk then I agree. Let me know in that case if semi solids after six months is possible with bottle.

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

anitha, u may get several suggestions, and in the end its ur choice, but i just wanted to simplify my suggestion and say if i were you, and if i were working... also having help is such a big advantage, make enough out of it!
    (You have ur folks at home), wld ask the person at home to feed baby with bottles, and when at home i would breastfeed the baby, thats something that bonds me to the baby and the baby to me, yes! its difficult to explain, but the one feeling i wouldnt want to miss out upon... :)

i think if i ever resume work again, i wld still prefer breastfeeding my baby at times i am at home...

8. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Anitha, when you ask the question about bonding, you yourself perhaps know that it is possible that bfing would increase the bonding.

Not just bfing, I will tell you my case. Till last week, Laya was sleeping in a cot by my mom and she was mostly waking up when Laya woke for a feed and I used to go and feed her and come back and sleep ;-) Occasionally I used to take her to my bed and co-sleep. During mornings, I was always by her side. Last week I checked my mother's BP and found that she has high BP and since then I dont let mom wake up at all in the night and I sleep by Laya, and continue the co-sleeping. You know what? I definitely felt that the bond has increased!

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I am sorry, I dont understand this. Are you trying to tell me how about feeding semi solids through bottle? That is a definite NO

10. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Lynette, really need to set the record straight here - not all babies who bottle feed get addicted to it for 5-6 years. It is simply inaccurate.

Sorry, but I don't follow you here as well. Why do you need so many options? There are so many moms here that are able to both BF and bottle feed (me included). Once BF is well established, many babies are fine with both BF and bottle. Some will introduce a sippy cup instead of ottle but bottle is really not a villain. In Anitha's place, I would just pump and feed from a bottle and then start solids around 6 months. Wean from bottle anytime after 1 year. Its really not that hard.

Anitha, to your questions, a mother's love is a mother's love. Breastfeeding is certainly great, but it is not the only means and end to bonding. My first was solely on pumped milk and I nursed/bottle fed my second. I felt the same rush of love when I was bottlefeeding my first as well as nursing my second. I do not wish to offend nursing moms, and have loved the experience myself but it is simply not true that bottle feeding or working moms do not bond as well. I maintain that mother is mother and her love is something, breastfeeding or formula or whatever.

Also there are many ways to bond with baby even when you are working. I have worked fulltime after two babies and they are very attached to me. Even if your in-laws care for your son during the day you can play and do special things after you come back. Once they get older there are so many ways you can "bond" while doing regular chores and household stuff.