1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help me out...

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by AnithaPartha, Dec 30, 2009.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ladies,

I have couple if questions regarding bf ing-

1. Am pumping milk from day1 and giving for my DS thru bottles.. Will I continue like this or should I breast feed him instead of bottles?
    2. Ped asked me to put him on my breast once in a while and told me bottle feeding is also okay.. My question is if I start bf ing now will my LO change to bf ing and then again changing him to bottle feeding wont be a problem ah? Hope you understood my question..
    3. Ped told only when LO sucks on breasts once in a while then only brain will produce more milk seems.. Is it true? Why not pumping helps it??

*Adding - Main reason why am pumping milk is that we have certain levels to be given for my LO.. IF I breast feed him I will not know how much ml am giving him.. he may drink more or less.. I will not know.. But if I pump I will know how much milk am producing and also I will know how much LO takes in

Please help me in solving these questions..

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

anitha, i feel its about time u should start ur LO to latch on, instead.
    the reason why ur paed asked u to give a particular amount of milk, is since he was a preemie.
    now i am sure he has gained weight enough, and is "seasoned" enough to let him suckle. see how he does. initially u might struggle to latch him correctly, since u havent ever. there are also chances they he may not want to latch on, since for babies its easier to take bottles, than is to suckle at ur breast.

i have almost no experience with bottle feeding my baby, since she was only latched on always.but there are moms here who have successfully done both with their baby, so they should be able to help u.

once ur baby is full term. there isnt a need to give him measured amount of milk, babies are smart to know how much or how little they want :)

and am assuming that u dont plan to resume work any sooner, so why not let him latch on, onto you? it will only strengthen the mommie baby bond.in the earlier days , rather even today, DD would latch onto me, many a times for comfort, to soothe her if she is uneasy. or merely a skin to skin contact.

so bottle feed him as u do,yes, but do a couple of nursing sessions to start with and slowly increase :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  3. hemadurga

hemadurga Bronze IL'ite

hi anitha,
    nice to know that rithik has gained weight from ur other posts....
    and wish him good health in the coming new year....

i didnt know how to catch ur attention :hiya hence sought this recent post of yours to ask a question for my friend in India, who also gets abdominal pain at times:

1) I saw that you were wearing maternity belts - Do u know where it is available in India ?

2) Will the belt press the womb and baby and cause any harm ?

sorry for posting this question here, but i wanted my post to reach you, that's why !!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  4. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Anita, by giving him milk through bottle you are ensuring that Rithik gets enough. So I think you can safely start to latch him atleast once a day, a little bit more milk might not do harm as such.

Having made this comment, I have to say that I am not an expert in bfing topic ;-)

5. AnithaPartha

Hi Hema,

I was asked to wear belt but I did not wear them at all :rotfl. I saw belt in motherhood, NJ shops.. not quite sure in India becoz I live here.. sorry about that.

secondly, it wont harm baby at all.. Doc asked me to wear that for tummy suport.. belly will get down and cause pains.. so doc asked me to buy abelt and wear..

6. AnithaPartha

thnx poo & rehka..

rekha - having said am also planning to make him latch on my B once a day.. soon will join work so better to continue bottle feed than to confuse him for B one day and bottle other day

7. hemadurga

hemadurga Bronze IL'ite

thanks anitha for saying that it will not harm the baby... will pass on the info and ask my friend to search for in some shops here... with lack of PM this is the only way to get in touch !!

happy baby feeding to you and also happy new year to you and ur dear son..

8. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

Once your baby completes 38 weeks, I feel you should full fledged start on BF. Even an underweight normal baby does good only on BM and BF. I'm sure Rithik will pickup. Atleast start BF once a day and then increase the intensity to more. Once the baby is 2.75 kgs and up you can BF.

About nipple confusion, yes it does happen, check how Rithik reacts till two months you should have no problems with bottlefeed, sooner or later see if you can feed with bowl and spoon else when you join work, latching at nights with the bottles will be a problem. I know same is not the case with all babies, but from my personal experience, I am telling you, that I completely left BF due to nipple confusion @2.5 months. Till 2.5 months I was exclusively BF, mom had to join work and from day 2 I left BF.

9. AnithaPartha

Thank you Lee.. :)
    Still havent started on putting him on my B.. not sure why :spin
    He is doing really good on bottles and his levels also increasing day by day(meaning he is taking enough milk correctly).. in this if I introduce my B's then if he gets confused and stopped drinking on both what to do..

Also, in mid of feb am planning to join work..

10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Anitha,

In case Rithik is happy this way, let it be :)

Rithik happy will make mommie happy too.