Help: Learning Malayalam

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by bornfree78, Aug 27, 2008.

1. bornfree78

bornfree78 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am interested in learning how to converse in Malayalam: very much :hiya My current vocabulary of this language consists of about 50 or so words. I have bought a tutorial CD for this purpose however it has not proved to be as useful as I expected. I also have a "Learn Malayalam in 30 Days" book from the National Integration Language Series, and whilst it seems useful I am looking for a more interactive means of learning the language. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I learn malayalam from the book you have mentioned "learn in 30 days series"..i read a chapter and watch Asianet to figure out the letters and pronunciation..it helps a lot..watch malayalam channels..

3. priyasree

priyasree New IL'ite

Hi,

Please tell me whether u can speak malayalam. If so writing malayalam is easy.

Regards
    Priya

4. rajkrish73

rajkrish73 New IL'ite

Listening to malayalam channels is the best way to learn malayalam.

5. ejohn

ejohn New IL'ite

If you have a malayalee association in the city where you live, you can ask somebody to be your conversation partner. You can meet up with that person once a week for an hour and practice your speaking. If you are in a city where there is an university with malayalee students, they will be happy to be your speaking partner for an hour or two a week in return for a home made meal. Also, if possible watch malayalam channels.

6. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Bornfree

do you understand other south indian languaged like Tamil??
    If yes then conversing in malayalam is not going to be very difficult.
    But if no....then it might take some time.The pronunciation of words in malayalam is a little difficult conpared to other Indian languages.

Start with small sentences like "Hows life"?......"ende ke inddu vishesham?".
    try using such small sentences often in your daily life....i hope you have malayali friends around with whom you can converse in malayalam. :)