1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Help.Housefly problem

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kishoremommy, Jan 3, 2012.

1. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

My sister recently moved to an apartment in Velachery,Chennai.Her house is in second floor.From day one she is facing two kinds of problems.

1.Heavy bad odor from the attached bathrooms eventually spreading throughout the house when the windows are closed.

2.Swarm of small flies coming through the drain hole in bathroom.She has fixed a mosquito net in bathroom ventilators.So,flies are not coming thru them.

So,far she has used mortein,good knight liquids ,hit spray,napthalene balls..But no effect.

I suggested pursue,an Amway product meant for germ killing.She sprayed it all over the bathroom tiles.Now, the flies avoid the wall tiles and sit all over the bathroom ceiling.

Regarding the smell,many times plumbers visited and cleaned the drain pipes, but in vain.She has to find another house again if the problems are not solved.

Please,suggest any ideas.

2. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

When i shifted homes, I too had the same prob. What I used to do was- when i wake up in the morning I used to light up agarbathis in the house. I used to place two agarbathis each in prime corners of the house.

In a few days I was able to keep those tiny flying insects away and the smell too reduced, actually gone.

But i had done this after thorough maintenance of the house and getting the house cleaned from a professional helper. For the washrooms, I used to clean the walls and floor with dettol.

I hope this helps your sister too- the agarbathi has been helpful in warding of the flies; i can bet on that :)

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

cover the drain when not in use, that is in the night. it is seasonal and this year you find them in more numbers..keep a bucket over the drain hole so the drain remains closed.hit, mortein nothing works on this. maybe you can use drainex and keep the drain cleaner.

regarding the bathroom smelling, maybe it is not about your bathroom, but the drains outside that are filled now due to the heavy rains that lashed the city and also if the septic tank is full, there is a possiblity.. ..

4. Nargisshaik

Nargisshaik Bronze IL'ite

For Bathroom smelling light a candle in the bathroom...the smell will be reduced.

For small insects put the Camphor in water...

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

they thrive in wetness.., ensure you keep the bathroom dry as far as possible..and close the drains when not in use..usually you see them more in the early morning..
    I have tried, even good knight, hit in the bathroom..nothing works..you can keep the drains closed..that is the best way to avoid..

6. kishoremommy

Thank you Shanvy, Nargisshaik ,Sitharaj for your ideas.I will ask my sister to follow the suggestions one by one given by you and will come back with the results.

7. kishoremommy

Back with the result.

As Shanvy suggested,my sister covered the drain,when not in use and at night times.The house fly problem is considerably reduced.Still,bad smell is not controlled even after plumber's check.

Lighting Agarbathis is a good idea.I tried it in my house to get rid of damp smell during winter season.It worked.

My sister is moving to a new house.Thank you all for your ideas.This thread would be useful for future readers.