1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy lifestyle challenge

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by vchelluri, Dec 5, 2011.

1. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Thank you dear and welcome to our healthy lifestyle challenge.

You can definitely pack sprouts in your Dhs lunchpack and they will be absolutely fine to enjoy. Make sure that they are fresh before packing. That's it.
    Yes, as you said, it's always better to have our dinner by 7 or 7.30pm and snack on fruits if hungry later.

Thanks for the tips dear and we welcome more from you in future.

Regards,
    Latha.

2. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Absolutely right dear. Though it's is quite a bit difficult to bring changes here as most of us really enjoy the fried foods and softdrinks but it's always better to bring changes slowly and try to choose better options when dining outside and make it a permanent change. Of course there is nothing wrong in satisfying our tastebuds every now and then but not frequently.
    We should try to choose fruits, fruit drinks mostly instead of fries and soft drinks and better to opt for vegetable salads or vegetable sandwiches/burgers/pizza with less cheese if we want to have them outside.

Regards,
    Latha.

3. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

It's better for everyone of us to bring changes in our diet or exercise slowly and making it a permanent habit once we accustom ourselves to the newly brought changes.
    Drastic changes/complete abstinence always makes us feel as if missing something and doesn't make us feel happy and finally force us to grab them with double force into our lives one day.

It's better for us to opt for those veggies/fruits which we like most initially as we don't feel missing anything as they are of our taste and it's always better to involve the whole family in whatever changes you bring in diet/exercise (maybe slightly variant to every member as per their taste) which doesn't make us feel alone or boring by the end of the day.
    And try to prepare curries with less oil and try to experiment with new recipes with the same veggies as per your taste requirements which keep us interesting and motivational.
    It's a must to follow the timings for our breakfast, lunch,snack and dinner strictly which doesn't make us feel hungry at odd times nor force us to grab everything in haste and make us feel guilty afterwards.
    If you like any item most which need to be excluded for the sake of health, it's better to decrease the quantity of intake first or if you can you can try to mix it up with other items in order to decrease it's intake and then slowly try to substitute it with healthy ones of your like. By doing so you won't feel like missing it.

I don't like eating raw veggies at all. Initially I tried to take them but only to end up after a week or so everytime I tried. So I gave up eating raw veggies and made a habit of including them in idlis, dosas, upmas, rice, etc and enjoy myself. I like to eat raw carrot and tomatoes and so I enjoy them.
    Initially I use to cherish mostly on fruits of my like and used to eat the fruits I don't like much only once a week or so. Slowly in the long run I develped taste to all the fruits and now I enjoy all fruits with the same delight.
    When I wanted to skip rice from my dinner and substitute with some other light meals, I couldn't do it much. But once I started to substitute it with idlis, dosas (oil less), oats upma, oats with milk & fruits/nuts, bread sandwich, I didn't miss the rice in my dinner much and now I rarely have rice in my dinner that too when there are guests at my house or I am outside in friends place. And I don't feel hungry too though I enjoy my dinner very lightly.

To bring any changes (major/minor), our body needs some time to get accustomed and tuned to it and once it is on track, it will be asolutely fine with whatever change it has to go on. So we need to give that needed time and patience for our bodies to get accustomed to our new lifestyle especially when we are about to bring drastic changes/major variation in our diet or exercise.

Regards,
    Latha.

Regards,
    Latha.

4. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

Sushmavja,

Is it possible to keep a lime piece that your DH can squeeze fresh during lunch??
    Along with the sprouts, you may cut any combination of tomatoes, onions, carrots, corn and boiled potatoes and dhaniya patta and keep a tiny dabba full of sev - instant bhel type snack ready with just mixing - lots of tiny dabbas, but DH will not get tired of eating only sprouts - he'll enjoy the variety :)

Another tip, Latha,

I usually wake up at 4:30 Am, so by breakfast time at 8-8:30, I used to have 2-2 1/2 cups tea/coffee !!!

Therefore, I am trying to cut it down by having a fruit (banana, papaya, orange, guava, apple anything!) at around 6:00 am when I wake up my son for school :)

It stabilizes my sugar levels and keeps me going till breakfast :)

Harini

1 person likes this.
  5. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

nice points latha and harini.

I make a big vessel of soups every alternate day and keep having it at regular intervals on those days. the other days i have fruits in between as cut the quantity of food intake.

dinner of salads and a very small katori of curd rice (my favourite-so not missed)

1 person likes this.
  6. esbanu

esbanu Gold IL'ite

Hi..

nice thread... me too join with u.. nowadays only my kid loves to eat veggies.. am really happy to see that..
    from beginning itself i have to start healthy eating habbit... thanks for information and motivation..:)

1 person likes this.
  7. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

I really envy you Harini. You know I love coffee alottttttttt but I won't get time to enjoy my coffee. I really hate to drink coffee in haste and in the morning generally I woke up at 6 am and will be very busy arranging things for my kids and DH and so won't get enough time for coffee. I simply enjoy my warm lime water with honey and have my breakfast by 8.30am. Eventhough I want to enjoy in the evenings, with my haste in preparing snacks for kids and DH could not get enough time to enjoy my coffee peacefully. So with that I only get to drink coffee twice or thrice a week that too only a cup. I feel it's good for me as I would have emptied cups together of coffee if I get free time to enjoy it.

Yeah, it's good to have fruits instead of coffee/tea in the mornings. I too have carrot/ any other fruit in the mornings generally.

Regards,
    Latha.

8. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Nice habit Mira.
    I don't have the patience to prepare soups as no one will be enjoying soups except me and so I will prepare for myself alone once in a week or for 10 days and enjoy myself at 10/10.30 am as I will be having my breakfast by 8.30am and will be going for a walk for about 2km. after leaving the kids at school or else in the evening snack time.

Hmmmm....... Curd rice........... My younger one loves it a lottttttttttt. If nothing tasty is there for her she simply wants her curd rice to enjoy.

Regards,
    Latha.

9. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Welcome to our thread dear.
    Hmmmmmm......... Thats a lovely habit of your kid. It's good if they like veggies as this is the perfect time for kids to induce healthy eating habits in them. My younger one also loves to eat veggies a lot but my elder one is only fond of Nonveg but she has changed a lot seeing her friends here in Australia as most of them will be bringing vegetable sandwiches, carrot slices and fruits. She is enjoying her vegetarian diet now a days a lot.

Come up with nice tips for us dear and let us keep up the motivation in leading the healthy lifestyle.

Regards,
    Latha.

10. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I too wake up around that time. Coffee intake is something i should seriously work on. Having way too much of coffees these days,around 4-5 cups a day :-( . I will try following you idea of having a fruit. Thanks for sharing.