1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy lifestyle challenge

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by vchelluri, Dec 5, 2011.

1. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

"My main aim is to add some healthy stuff to our regular normal diet enjoying the food without any guilt."
    I liked the above statement, the aim is to "enjoy the food"

Home made meals with a little awareness of what we're adding, makes a huge difference!!

This is what I do -
    1) Sprouts are a powerhouse of nutrients - I make 2 dabbas (total 1/2-3/4 kg raw beans/legumes) of various sprouts every week - Add it to upma, kichdi, fried rice, dals, sabji, chaat, or just eat as such - if leftover at end of week, I make dosas by grinding them with chillies and jeera!!

2) Make dosa or idli atta with grains of jowar, bajra, wheat, ragi etc instead of rice. Add red puttu rice instead of raw white rice for dosa/rice upma etc and red boiled rice instead of idli rice for idlis!
    Instead of udad dal, I use black udad and soya combination for idlis/dosas!

3) Add finely chopped veggies to dosa/idli just before making them!
    Add finely chopped green veggies to the chapati atta and use milk/curd instead of water - nutrient-dense and soft rotis at your service!!!
    Use cooked and purreed dal/pumkin/palak to make chapati atta instead of water !!

4) Add veggies to food that dont have too many veggies in original recipes - eg- rice rava upma, kichdi, poha, dhokla, chapati atta etc

5) Ensure a snack of veggies/fruits for elders and nuts/seeds for the kids - I usually give my son a mix of badam/cashew/dates/groundnuts for his school snack! and for my FIL I give diced cucumber and apple combi with pepper jeera powder!!!

6) Make chaats, bread, cakes, pizzas, snacks, cookies, chocolates, burgers at home instead of store bought preservatives and sodium filled processed junk!!!
    Make bread, cakes pizzas etc in multi grain style, grind sprouts into the batter!
    Bake burgers instead of deep frying them.

7) Include variety of cereals and dals - In a week ensure you include ragi, jowar, bajra, rice, wheat, corn etc for cereals and for dals/beans, include tuar dal, channa, moong, rajma, chole, moth, karamani, soya etc...

8) Eliminate/Minimise deep frying and eating out :)

9) Add flax seeds to your diet - include in batters, chutneys, podis, sabji etc- not too much, just 2 tbsp per person per day - develops brain for kids and keeps heart healthy for elders!

I do more ... but have to rush now.. ;-)

The main thing is to be aware of what goes inside you !!!

Eat healthy :thumbsup
    and Keep smiling! :thumbsup
    Harini

2 people like this.
  2. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi Harini,

There you are........:thumbsup

Welcome to our healthy lifestyle challenge dear.:cheers

I follow almost all of the above tips you do but I use carrots, peas, beans, capsicum instead of sprouts.

Please do post your recipes of breakfast/lunch/dinner every now and then with photos so that the other members may have nice eye feast and get tempted to have a trial.

I am also trying to upload some photos and will be soon with them.

Regards,
    Latha.

3. harinisripada

Latha,
    Me too me too - all the veggies below in addition to the sprouts :)
    Also corn and beetroot for some dishes :)

Another tip is to add raw/cooked salads to meals -

Use a chopper to chop very finely -
    1 cup carrots, 1/4 cup beetroot, 2 green chillies, 1/2 cup cabbage - add lime juice from 2 lemons - no need for even salt !!!

yummy ... I just had it now along with lunch, finished before I saw your photo idea :-0 ... maybe you can add boiled corn too - it is in season right now

1 person likes this.
  4. vandv

vandv Silver IL'ite

I eat 2 tomatoes for breakfast everyday.
    When I feel eating something crunchy, I snack on one or two fresh carrots.
    I have changed from tea to grape juice.
    For lunch I eat vegetables only and completely avoid rice.
    But!! by 7pm I will lose control myself and make noodles or fried rice and will have it stomachful before I sleep :(

5. harinisripada

Dear vandv,

Better take heavier breakfast than heavier dinner... have your tomatoes and carrots with 1-2 phulkas for dinner, have noodles/fried rice etc for breakfast :)

1 person likes this.
  6. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

latha,
    nice thread and very informative,
    harini,
    nice ideas.will try to implement sprouts in my food..my DH has been asking sprouts for lunch.but then if i pack them in his lunch with lemon juice would it be ok or will it turn bitter?
    my suggestion,
    no potatoes in the dinner and finish dinner by 7 or max 7.30 so that you have atleast three hours before sleep.if you feel like snacking in those 3 hrs while watching TV then take fruits

1 person likes this.
  7. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

:rotflas harini said it is better to take a heavy breakfast than a dinner. Or you can limit your intake and still enjoy the fried rice or noodles without guilt for dinner. Just check the quantity and Oil you use. Best wishes.:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  8. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

dropped by to add one more.
    usually when we eat out,we have options of combo meals which include fries and softdrinks. if we control on that part and take only the desired item, it wont be heavy on our weight as well as our pockets..

1 person likes this.
  9. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Nice tip Harini.

Ohhhhhhh......... So we missed a great delight to our eyes.:-(
    Anyway we will compensate it my giving a delight to our tummies with your tip for this time.

Thanks dear and keep up the motivation and motivate us toooo.

Regards,
    Latha.

1 person likes this.
  10. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Welcome to our healthy lifestyle challenge dear.
    As Harini and Mira mentioned it's better if you have enough food in your breakfast and lunch and have controlled dinner.
    And there is no need of avoiding rice completely. You can very well enjoy rice but be sure to be in the limited quantity.

Do you know the proverb? - "BREAKFAST LIKE A KING, LUNCH LIKE A PRINCE, DINE LIKE A PAUPER."

So whatever you eat take care that you include more veggies and fruits in it and have less oils and fat in your food.
    And as others said enjoy well your breakfast and lunch which helps you minimise your dinner and will be healthy for you.

Regards,
    Latha.

1 person likes this.