1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy high-calorie foods for toddlers

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by karanu, Jan 2, 2015.

1. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Hello moms, looking for some ideas for healthy high calorie foods for my 3 year old daughter. She has been under-weight from birth and continuing on the same path.

I wasn't much concerned about the weight factor since she eats healthy, home-cooked foods without much fuss (touchwood!) and she has always been an active and happy child. But in the last year, she has got ear infections thrice due to cold/cough and had to be given antibiotics.

Consulted with a different pediatrician this time and she said I need to focus on giving high-calorie foods to improve her weight. She suggested pediasure casually.

I have always been a strict NO-NO towards packaged foods. I don't want to give her store-bought chocolates, cookies or cakes on a regular basis.

What other ways by which I can increase calories of regular, home-cooked foods? I give her ghee in almost in every meal. Bananas, raisins and dates are regular too. She doesn't take sathumaavu kanji (porridge).

Please share some ideas. Thanks!

2. Karthema

Karthema Junior IL'ite

Hi karanu.......

Are you giving her whole milk??? If you are not interested in giving chocolate pediasure shake, go for pediasure powder.... As for as i know, pediasure gives the nutrition thereby increasing the weight....

Try to give her avacado,banana, eggs often ,potato or sweet potato for more nutritious food, cheese, ftesh fruit mixed with homemade yogurt, homemade paneer,whole grain pasta.....

Mix homemade nut powder in her regular food ( dry roasting alomnds,pista,cashew,walnut,raisins & blend it to a fine powder)