1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy And Low Cal Alternatives To White Rice ..pls Advice..

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Needtobestrong, May 12, 2017.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I want to lose 5 kg in next 3 months..short term goal.i try to eat rotis as much as possible..in my household typically breakfast tiffin etc there will be many rice items..pls suggest substitutes for white rice which will keep me full and also help me in losing weight.
    Some people are saying to use millets, quinoa, red rice, brown rice, DalaiDalai etc..I'm so confused..
    Pls suggest which ones are best alternatives for rice, with advantages..also which millets can I use instead of rice..
    Also anyone had personal experience in weight loss after replacing white rice with anything else?
    Then pls share,,

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

From personal experience,

Dalia helped to lose weight

Brown rice - maintains weight

Needtobestrong likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP, Check out these threads. Both contain a wealth of information on rice alternatives, eating healthy, and weight loss in general.

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals
    Post Weight Loss - Lessons Learned and Staying on Course

Eating whole grains is a great start but that alone will not result in weight loss. Eating whole grains as part of a balanced meal made up of at least 50% vegetables and proteins, will reduce net calorific intake and help you lose weight. In the end weight loss is about creating a calorific deficit. You can do this by changing how much and what you eat, or by burning more calories. A simple tip is to eat a big salad before your regular meal, then eat a smaller portion of your everyday meal. You will feel full and still be able to reduce the total calorie intake.

Here is some information on the different types of whole grains and their preparation. Most of these can be used as substitutes for rice. IL seems to resize the image for upload. You can view the full size image if you download it first.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  4. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

have you tried making sprouts khichadi? basically sprouted moth beans.

I am making it tonight for dinner. For limiting the white rice, you can make matki gravy with onions, ginger garlic paste, tomatoes and add half of your usual rice in it ( if you eat 1 cup rice, take the only half cup for this recipe). Ideally, brown rice is good. But if you are transitioning from white to brown rice, concealing the strong taste of brown rice in your regular gravy is a good start.