1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Healthcare For Parents In Usa

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sslkgpaa, May 25, 2017.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

ACA covers pre existing conditions. Can't speak for the AHCA which will replace ACA. I'm hearing pre existing conditions may be thrown out. My son's therapies. Sigh.

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

3. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

@sslkgpaa and @MalStrom
    Can you read through this Medi-Cal eligibility FAQ for new immigrants

Do you agree/disagree? Any caveats?
    Yes there is NO usual 5 year waiting period, BUT and the but is important -
    The "worldwide assets less than $2000", and "sponsors income considered" seem to make medical ineligible ??
    It also says "If you wish to game the system just because your friends' parents have applied, we wish you good luck". There are stiff penalties associated and you would have to re-pay the paid benefits to you additionally.
    Hard to find reliable info on this??

Govt website:
    http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/ltc/Documents/CPLTC Print Locks/BYB2012.pdf
    look at Appendix A

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Laks09 likes this.
  4. Laks09

@Ragini25 - Not sure of mediCal but TX medicaid is very strict. I've applied for my son based on his disability and they refused based on our income. My DH's insurance doesn't cover therapies because of his Autism DX and ACA plans off the market place were the only saving grace. Look at the CA market place. I've heard only good things about CA's implementation of the ACA. In fact, CA is the only state to have it at a level where it works for everyone.

5. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

yes for children (usually US citizens they are) - it works in ACA. (dunno abt the "trump ahca")

Question is abt "new" immigrant (greencard) older folks. Will try to take a look, thanks Laks

6. Laks09

Thankfully market place doesn't go by immigration status. Even people who come on H Visas and have needed therapies etc get the exact same policies online. Not sure how things will be after ACA is gone.
    Btw - we always use an agent to buy the policies. You need to find one in your state who is well versed with state healthcare laws. They usually know what policy to purchase.

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

@Ragini25 , the income requirements for Medi-Cal or any type of benefit programs are strict. The green card application will likely ask for the financial resources of either the applicants or the sponsors. And I believe you have to show sufficient assets to get the green card. This is so that people don't become public charges. I would contact an immigration lawyer to get the best clarification, but the language on the link you provided sounds right. These programs are meant for poor people and those of limited means who immigrate to the US as refugees or asylum seekers. Everyone I know who has brought their parents over has had to fork out serious cash for their medical insurance till the parents themselves became citizens.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Also, given that the fate of the ACA is very much up in the air, and even the existing act is being gutted it's difficult to say what insurance options will exist next year.

9. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

10. cutepoojitha

cutepoojitha Bronze IL'ite

Please share info for me also