1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Health is of course wealth!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rvnachar, Oct 4, 2010.

1. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

There is a proverb in the local language – an insane girl cannot get married but she will get sane only if married! My position right now is similar! I am getting fatter by the day and I really need to exercise but the severe pain in my heel will not let me do so. The doctors say I have to reduce weight if the pain has to go!

Blessed are those who enjoy good health until their last breath! After 40 years, most of us end up talking only about aches, pains, surgeries, chronic disorders, hospitalization, medical insurance, BP, diabetes, thyroid problems and the like, whenever we meet friends and relatives. People have started gifting seven-day pill boxes to friends and relatives, because there are hardly a handful of people who do not need any medication on a regular basis.

As I go limping for my evening walks, I keep watching everybody’s feet and walking style. I have forgotten a healthy ‘me’ when I had no pain and could walk miles without complaint. Now, I cannot imagine anybody in such a condition! So, when I see people standing and yapping for hours round the corner of my road or walking briskly round after round in the park, I wonder, “Isn’t her foot hurting? Does he not have a knee pain? Will she not lie down with a sprained waist if she stands that long?”

When I was healthy and active, I could never imagine this state, though I did sympathise with people who had health problems. I never thought I would so soon join their club! Our mental health has to do much with our physical health! Our heart and mind right royally take over, especially when our children reach teenage. Neither our children nor our mind obey our brain! We get advices from all corners. Not that we do not know how to keep healthy, because every newspaper, every magazine and every channel on the TV dedicate a major portion of the time and space for health. But the advices given by various ‘paths’- the allopath, the homeopath, the Ayurveda path, the nature cure guy and what not are so contradictory that we are left confused at the end of the day! While one says, “drink a lot of water”, another proclaims, “too much of water harms the kidney”; while one says “tomato is very good for ……”, while another shouts, “tomatoes are not good for……”. One survey says, “coffee is good for the heart”, while another decides, “coffee is very harmful”.

And with the advent of internet, our confusion has only increased! We can reach out to the whole world and get many more advices! With so much of advancement in the field of medicine and with so many new schools of thought coming up everyday, the number of diseases has in fact gone up! Even simple flu and common colds are becoming more complicated, because we hear of so many deaths due to flu! Maybe we are hearing of the deaths now with the improved communication or flu has really turned killer! God only knows!

Enter the hospital and you are in for more confusion. No doctor tells you anything clearly. Most often we are treated like duds and asked to just obey his orders to get medicines as prescribed. The bills keep growing and the pain of the patient gets worse by the day, while the woes of the relatives waiting on him/her get thicker. Recently, one of my relatives was admitted to a hospital with a fever. The diagnosis kept changing from influenza to pneumonia to heart ailment to lung infection to kidney dysfunction and ………………….of course the bill amount kept mounting up. She was discharged after 45 days with none of us really knowing what actually was wrong with her! Today, as her sons were just heaving a sigh of relief that they at least need not run around to the hospital and struggle to arrange for the funds, her husband fell sick and is admitted to the same hospital! Just imagine what should happen to the poor sons, who are earning just enough to meet their daily bread!

Ill health is the biggest agony of this planet. If there is a hell, it is here and it is very much here! Somebody has very well imagined what a hell is, for he knew how a patient is kept bound to the bed with tubes protruding from all sides of her body and fate not letting her die but keeping her alive only to suffer the pain!

Coming to the point, does anybody out there have any suggestion to heal my heel which is troubling me due to calcification? Please hurry up and let me know!

Sudha Narasimhachar

2. rnp1112

rnp1112 Bronze IL'ite

Very Well written !!

3. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sudha,

I am a doctor ( not orthopedics ) and had this last year. And yes dear, the pain is excruciating.

The foot is used so much during the day that once the amount of damage to the fascia and ligaments exceed the body's ability to repair itself the pain will tend to persist. Also foot is not a part you can rest for long, unlike the arm so foot injuries do take longer to heal.

If you currently are suffering from heel pain, one of the first things you should try is to make sure to wear your shoes around the house in the evening and in the morning. The insole in your shoes will help to support the arch of your foot and may help the ligaments to heal on their own. If you walk around barefoot or with just socks on, your arch has to support all your weight by it's self.

I bought myself light rubber chappals with spiky kind of projections to wear inside the house, shifted to Dr.Scholl Massagio footwear from BATA to wear to work, continued to do my walking excercise(though less - 2km instead of the usual 5 )with shoes which had insoles to support.

Mornings when the pain was the worst I did take NSAIDs( nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drugs).I took Brufen. Evenings when I had the time I alternated between hot and cold compresses.

And yes also lost 5kgs. Went off rice.
    It took 6 to 8 weeks to become pain free.

Hope this helps.

Love,
    Usha

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sudha,

A well written post, I totally agree with you. Hope the dr's suggestions give you some relief.

Akila

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sudha

A well written post. I agree with you in all respects as I have also gone through when I had hip bone fracture . The operation was not done properly , he made me lie down in bed for two months , I could only sit thats all no other movements. After two months when he could not do anything , another doctor was consulted , another operation, then after a year another operation to remove the pins. Still after few years I had pain and again after 8 years artfiical hip joint was replaced , so all together 4 operations because of the wrong operation done in the beginning. I had this fracture in 1991 after my menopause. Now I am ok but cant strain much, feel difficult while walking the steps , cant bend, cant do namaskar. Its good that I am able to do jobs standing . I am happy that atleast I am able to look after myself. Now a days many have different types of health problem

All the best to you for good health

love
    viji

6. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Very well written...Hope your pain subsides soon...

7. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sudha,

I forgot to add - a very well written article. And yes, a once noble profession is not so noble anymore.

Love,
    Usha

8. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

Thanks to all my good friends, who have shown so much of concern. I am already following a few of the suggestions but of no avail. In fact, when I got this pain about 5 years ago and suffered for nearly two years, I finally got relief taking the Homeo medicines from a very good lady doctor. I was cured completely in a year. That doctor passed away suddenly a couple of years ago. Now, the pain has surfaced and I somehow am lost as to whom to go, because I have had bad experience with a few of them. I am already taking Thyronorm tablets for my hypo-thyroid problem. I am not sure whether I can combine two systems of medicine, which may lead to other complications.

I am continuously wearing MCR footwear, even while at home. I walk at least about 1 and half to 2 kms. daily and carry on with my regular duties at home, which involves nearly 3-4 hours' standing. That makes my pain worse.