1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

HE - Episode 16

Discussion in 'HE - Serial Story' started by varalotti, Feb 22, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

HE

A Serial By Varalotti Rengasamy

Episode 16

Timeline B

Balki had lodged a complaint of theft against Sharada. He had also exerted pressure on the Police Department to arrest and humiliate her.

The Police came in search of Sharada. At the last minute the lady lawyer whom Nalini had called came to the rescue.

She threatened the Inspector of dire consequences if he dared to arrest Sharada on the basis of a frivolous complaint.

The Inspector relented.

“Madam, just give an assurance that this lady will not go out of town without letting us know. I fully rely on you.”

“Don’t worry, Inspector. And advance congratulations for your promotion. You have taken a very wise decision.”

The Inspector left the place.

Sharada held the lawyer’s hands again and thanked her.

“You saved my honour. I don’t even know your name.”

“Oh, I forgot. I am Advocate Kalpana.“

Of course Nalini and Sharada did not know that it was the same lawyer who had walked into Madhavan’s life as a guardian angel and had tried to warn him against the Vulture.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010

2. varalotti

Part 2!

Part 2!

As soon as Kalpana left the place, Nalini and Sharada tip-toed into Sethu’s room. But that was not necessary as Sethu was sitting in his bed holding his head in his hands.

Nalini was concerned. She placed her hands on Sethu’s shoulders and asked him softly:

“Did we disturb you, Sethu? Are you all right?”

Sethu looked up as if he was waking up from a nightmare. His eyes were red.

“What happened Sethu? I’ll call the Doctor.”

Sethu did not speak. He just told her by signs that there was no need for the Doctor. He took a whole minute to compose himself and asked in a voice void of all emotions.

“What’s happening around me? I saw policemen. I heard heated arguments.”

Sharada and Nalini exchanged meaningful glances. Sharada was a little hesitant. But Nalini did not want to hide anything.

“Since you were sick, we did not want to bother you with all those things. Balki had lodged a criminal complaint agaist Sharada, that she had stolen his things.

“The Inspector came to Le Meridien to arrest her. I had no option but to bring him here. Meanwhile I had alerted my friend. She came at the last minute and saved the day.”

“Oh,that was your friend? Her voice sounded familiar to me. I think I have met her. Was she a lawyer?”

“Yes.”

“What’s her name?”

“Kalpana. Why are you asking?”

“Oh My God!”

Sethu almost wailed. That baritone voice was just a fading memory in Sethu’s mind. He vaguely associated that with that of a lawyer.

But when he heard the name Kalpana, the last pieces of the jigsaw puzzle fell into place. Sethu remembered the only meeting he had with her in her club. Whatever happened thereafter came to his mind as if it was happening only now.

Nalini and Sharada were taken aback by his sudden outburst. Both the ladies went near Sethu and placed their hands on him.

“What happened Sethu? Do you know her?”

Sethu was silent. Nalini could see tears running down his cheeks. Nobody spoke for the next two minutes.

Nalini’s hands were on Sethu’s shoulder. She now increased the pressure.

“I can guess that Kalpana belongs to your earlier life. She should be associated with a very bitter happening in your life, which you are trying hard to forget.

“Don’t try to bury those feelings in you, Sethu. Out with it. After all you are going to talk to two women, to whom you are dearer than their own lives.”

Sethu looked up and saw the faces of Nalini and Sharada. There was nothing but love and concern in them.

Having professed his love to Sharada, he had to reveal his past life to her one day or the other. And why not today?.

Sethu started to talk.

3. varalotti

Part 3!

Part 3!

Two days later.

Sharada was tossing and turning in her bed. She checked the time on the digital clock in the side table. It was 2 AM.

She and Nalini were sleeping at a suite in Le Meridien. She looked at Nalini. She was sleeping peacefully. At least it appeared so.

Nalini and Sharada had gone to bed only an hour ago.

The previous day was the most eventful day in Sharada’s life. Never in the past had so much happened in so short a time. She would never forget the day in a hundred years.

She remembered every minute detail connected with the day. She remembered the sky blue cotton saree she wore when she went to that fateful meeting with Advocate Kalpana.

She also remembered Sethu’s dress – pale blue faded jean-trousers and a yellow shirt. And Nalini’s too – dark grey business suit.

She remembered the long drive from Le Meridien to Kalpana’s spacious office in Anna Nagar West.

The scene at Kalpana’s office was re-enacted in her mind again and again. She vividly remembered the mild buzz of the room airconditioner.

She remembered seeing Kalpana’s clean table. She even remembered the small quote placed in the table. ‘A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind.’

4. varalotti

Part 4!

Part 4!

Then her mind drifted to Sethu’s past life as Madhavan. He had been the CEO of a leading ad agency. She remembered Sethu talking about his marriage to Priya and how she betrayed him in the end. Sethu had also explained Kalpana’s role in preventing the disaster.

Nalini and Sharada had sat through the whole narration in a state of shock. Now they admired Sethu even more.

How can the CEO of a million dollar company be a humble masseur and could make himself available at the beck and call of ordinary men?

Only a great Master like Swamiji was capable of such an alchemy. He not only erased the name Madhavan from Sethu’s heart but also the ego that clung to that name. Swamiji was no ordinary saint. He was a manifestation of God, mused Nalini.

Nalini took Sethu and Sharada along with her to Le Meridien. She asked Sethu to stay in the hotel itself for a few days for security reasons.

5. varalotti

Part 5!

Part 5!

Two days later when Nalini and Sharada went to meet Kalpana, they requested Sethu to join them.

“Ma’am, you two go first and discuss Sharada’s case. If she sees me then she cant talk about anything else. I will join you later.”

‘Smart thinking’, thought Sharada.

When the two ladies were ushered into Kalpana’s chambers, she was still in a state of excitement. After exchanging pleasantries, Kalpana blurted out,

“You know guys, justice has been restored in this world. God is very active.”

“I don’t get you Kalpana.”

“Ok, let me tell you what happened. Sharada’s husband Balki was attacked by a mysterious man four days ago. Balki has lost his speech.

“The Doctors say that it may take six months to one year for him to regain his speech. But even then the recovery wont be complete.”

Sharada and Nalini had to put up a great show of being shocked by this news.

“But you know, Nalini, Balki had engaged a cut-throat, crooked, villanous, kick-ass lawyer for his divorce case.

“Had that lawyer conducted this case Sharada would have been torn to pieces. She would have been humiliated and driven to suicide.

“Luckily for us that lawyer was also with Balki when he was attacked. He tried to defend Balki. The assailant attacked the lawyer so violently that he is paralysed now. The Doctors say that he will have to be a vegetable for the rest of his life.”

Sharada reached for Nalini’s hand and held it tight. She did it under the table without Kalpana finding it out.

Nalini cleared her throat and asked in a tone which suggested that she was the least interested in that person.

“Who’s he? Is he a big lawyer?”

“No, but the worst lawyer the Madras Bar has ever seen. The worst specimen of a human being. I don’t even call him by name. He is known as the Vulture in our circles.”

Nalini remembered the name and made a note to tell Sethu.

“The person who attacked the Vulture must be Lord Krishna Himself . He fulfilled His promise given in Gita, that He will be born in every yuga to annihilate evil. Vinasaya cha Dhuskritham sambavami yuge yuge.

“It is celebration time for us. Those who know the Vulture will have a greater celebration on the day he was paralysed than on Diwali.

“The Police Department also knows about the Vulture. That’s why they are not very enthusiastic to trace the assailant.”

Nalini was eagerly swallowing every word Kalpana spoke. She wanted to reproduce them faithfully to Sethu later.

Nalini felt relieved. She steered the conversation to the pressing problems at hand.

“Kalpana, were you able to get an anticipatory bail for Sharada? I don’t want that Inspector to come tomorrow and drag her to the police station.”

“You will never believe this, Nalini. And Sharada you too. You are a very lucky girl, dear. With Balki in bed and with the Vulture paralysed, Sharada’s case is now being handled by a really nice lawyer, a former colleague of mine.

“We had a very frank discussion yesterday. Balki is now ready for an out of court settlement. I got the best deal for Sharada. Balki and Sharada will file for a mutual consent divorce under Section 13B of the Hindu Marriages Act.

“Balki will pay Rupees one crore to Sharada as alimony settlement. He will withdraw all the criminal complaints filed against her. Since he has already filed for divorce we will have all the terms made into a court decree.”

“But I don’t want his money.”

“Don’t be stupid, Sharada. He is worth at least Rupees 10 crores and what you are getting is only a pittance. Actually I wanted to press for half of his wealth. But seeing his pathetic condition I didn’t want to do that.

“If you don’t want the money, get it from him and then give it to a good cause. But if you don’t accept the money, Balki will spend it only on wine and women once he is cured.”

Sharada relented.

“Please come to my club tomorrow evening around six. His lawyer will also be there. We’ll sign the papers there. Any questions?”

6. varalotti

Part 6!

Part 6!

Sethu could not have entered the scene at a better time. As Kalpana’s secretary led him into the room Kalpana stood up as if she were seeing a ghost

“Are you… are you… by any chance.. are you.. Mister……”

Sethu let out his characteristic smile.

“Yes, Ma’am, I’m Madhavan. CEO, Ad India. How do you do, Ma’am?”

“My God? Am I dreaming or what? What’s happening? Nalini, please tell me that this is just a dream.”

“Oh, Kalpana, you are very excited. Cool down. He’s for real. Yes, he is Madhavan. Now living in cognito as Sethu, as a masseur in our hotel.”

“Really? Please have a seat, Mr. Madhavan.”

Kalpana gulped a full glass of water and buzzed for more.

“Looks like all of us can use a cup of hot filter coffee.”

Everyone nodded. Kalpana buzzed for her secretary.

Kalpana could not even talk coherently.

Sethu started narrating his story from the psychiatrist’s clinic to the Swamiji’s Ashram in Trivandrum and from there to Le Meridien.

“Well, Mr. Madhavan, I too have a lot to tell you. I will start with Priya. You know she…”

Madhavan did not let Kalpana finish.

“Please, Ma’am, don’t ever talk about that horrible woman. She’s a bitch…”

WILL YOU SHUT UP? ARE YOU A FOOL? ARE YOU CRAZY? HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT PRIYA LIKE THAT? ONE MORE WRONG WORD ON HER, YOU HAD IT. ”

Kalpana was trembling in rage. Sethu was taken aback. He looked at Nalini and Sharada. They were frozen in their places.

Kalpana gulped down another glass of water. She was a little mollified now.

“Ok, I’m sorry, Madhavan. And sorry, Nalini and Sharada. At times when someone dear to you, someone precious is maligned, you cant control herself. “

Sethu was still in a state of fear.

“Sorry again, Madhavan. “

Sethu relaxed and asked talked almost in a whisper.

“Mrs. Kalpana, do you remember our last meeting at your club? It was you who hinted about Priya. I was outraged at that time.

“I don’t have any information on her. But the way she turned the tables against me at the psychiatrist’s clinic, I thought afterall what you said might be true. She might be having an affa…”

“STOP. STOP. Madhavan, please don’t test my patience. Another word on Priya’s character, I won’t be what I am.”

Madhavan was dumbstruck now. What happened to Kalpana?

Kalpana buzzed her Secretary for a jug of cool water. Until she drank two full glasses of water she did not speak.

“Madhavan, I am not a woman of strong character. In those days, in my youth, I fell for the Vulture. I deserted my husband and in a way I was responsible for my husband’s death. But, Priya, Priya… she .. she.. is…”

Kalpana was overwhelmed with emotions. After a while she completed the sentence.

“She’s a goddess, Madhavan. She’s a goddess of love. It was only her blind love for you that got her into trouble. She wanted to see you happy at any cost. That was why she went out of the way to hire the Vulture and acquired Smart Ads.”

Madhavan was looking at Kalpana’s face.

“ Madhavan, You should have done penance for a hundred lives to get a wife like Priya. You know what’s your greatest achievement in life?

“It’s not your growth from an orphan to a millionaire. It’s not your Ad India or your business achievements. It’s Priya.

“Your marrying Priya was your greatest accomplishment. Boy, you won a jackpot there. God doesn’t make anybody like Priya these days.”

Sethu frowned for he did not understand a word of what Kalpana said.

Meanwhile cofee had come. They sipped the strong brew in absolute silence.

7. varalotti

Part 7!

Part 7!

Kalpana wiped her lips with a tissue and started narrating Priya’s story.

“I got the first break in your case almost two months after that incident, I mean whatever happened in the psychiatrist’s office.

One of the Vulture’s accomplices was caught by the Police for an unrelated offence. He was wrongly implicated in a murder case. His name was Nathan.

“It was he who acted as the ‘psyciatrist’ on that day. The Vulture wanted to get rid of him and so he did not come forward to defend him. Through my police connections I got to know all these and stuck a deal with Nathan.

“If he squealed on the Vulture especially what he did to you and Priya, I’ll do my best to secure his acquittal

“Only through him I learnt that the Vulture staged your deaths as if they happened in a road accident. And that you escaped from his henchmen while you were being taken to Trivandrum to be sold for your organs.

“When Nathan told me how Priya was duped, I wanted to wring the Vulture’s neck with my own hands.”

When Kalpana paused for drinking water, Madhavan’s heart was close to his throat. Had he spat at that time his heart would have fallen out along with his saliva.

“You remember the only meeting we had. That was videotaped by the Vulture’s men. They then added special effects to the video. I was horrified when I saw that.

“Vulture hired real professionals to do the job. I don’t have the heart to go into all the lurid details. In short it was made to look as if we two had an affair and were conspiring to kill Priya.

“This was shown to Priya. Even then she could not believe her eyes. She wanted to confront you. But the Vulture cleverly kept her away from you, telling her that you were suffering from some kind of manic depression and that you had gone nuts.

“Otherwise you were not the kind of person to loaf around with women, especially a woman like me.

“That poor girl, that angel of love, believed his words, Madhavan.”

Kalpana tried pretty hard to muffle her sob. But failed. All the eyes were wet. It looked as if Sethu was going to burst with sobs.

“The Vulture convinced her that you required medical help and to make you visit the psychiatrist, he made her tell you that she was the one who was depressed.

“The Vulture knew the love you had for Priya. You melted, threw everything else and went along with Priya. Little did you know that the whole clinic was a set-up. And the ‘psychiatrist’ was none other than Nathan, Vulture’s man.

“Priya saw you being taken out of the room. At that moment she realised that she had been tricked. She knew only then that she had been trapped by the Vulture.

“You should hear Nathan describe that scene, Madhavan. Though that rogue was ready to kill Priya if his Boss wanted to, he was simply taken back on seeing the look on Priya’s face when you were dragged out of the room.

It was not just a pointless stare, he says. With whatever vocabulary he had he conveyed to me that he had never seen a woman so much in love with a man. Time froze for Priya at that very moment. She lost her mind.”

Now Madhavan was sobbing.

Kalpana wiped her eyes and continued.

“The Vulture got Priya admitted at NIMHANS, Bangalore under a false name. Since it was Nathan who admitted her, I was able to get her discharged. But Madhavan, for the past five years, she continues to be in a state of shock.

“She is not violent. Somebody has to feed her. Somebody has to dress her up. And take care of her personal needs.

“She doesn’t talk at all. The only thing she does all day is to write your name again and again in a note book. You know during the last five years she has filled up a whole room with those note books.”

8. varalotti

Part 8!

Part 8!

Madhavan wanted to ask, “Where’s she now?” . He gesticulated but no words would come out. But Kalpana understood his question.

“I knew that the Vulture would try to harm her. So I moved her over to…”

Kalpana’s mobile rang at that moment. Every one was irritated. It was Balki’s lawyer asking for some details on the settlement they had arrived at. Kalpana gave the information he wanted and resumed the narration.

“Priya is in Trivandrum now. I have housed her in a secure apartment. I have appointed armed guards round the clock to protect her. I have also got three nurses and three maids to look after her. I visit her every month.

“I have had her examined by the best of Doctors. They are not very hopeful, Madhavan. But with you in the scene, I am sure, she will become normal quite soon.”

Madhavan could not speak. He folded his hands towards Kalpana.

“It’s all right, Madhavan. Taking care of Priya and helping her out is a kind of expiation for my sins. I betrayed my husband. I killed him. I didn’t know what true love is.

“I fell for that crook and destroyed my family. By helping Priya, I am sure she will bless me and make me know what true love is, at least in my next birth. So in the end, it’s all for selfish reasons, Madhavan.”

Madhavan had to some extent regained his composure.

“You should have spent quite a lot of money on Priya. I don’t know how I am going to pay you back, because I don’t have any money now. I don’t know how I am going to repay your kindness.”

“Kindness is not meant be repaid, Madhavan. Accepting kindness is in itself its reciprocation. As to the money part, I am only spending your money.”

“My money? Are you kidding?”

“I’m not. Soon after you two disappeared from the scene, the Vulture sold Ad India to a large ad company in North India. He had fabricated the documents in his favour and had transferred your shares and Priya’s shares to his name.

“I challenged the transfer and had the sale consideration frozen by the court. Since the sale consideration came in the form shares in the new company, that frozen assets are worth more than fifty crores today.

“The Vulture wanted to come to terms with me. He offered to pay a third of your wealth to me, if I opted out of the case. By then I had learnt the art of thinking like the Vulture.

“I offered a different deal to him. I told him that if we do not hear from you for seven years, then he can take the entire wealth at the end of the seventh year. Till then the shares will be in the custody of the Court.

“And till that time he should pay me Rs.50,000 per month. As I expected he jumped on this deal. I’ve been using that money for Priya. And your entire wealth is safe.”

Sethu and Kalpana were talking almost till midnight. The consensus was that he and Kalpana should go to Trivandrum to see Priya in the next two days.

Kalpana will commence legal proceedings to get back Madhavan’s wealth locked up in the Court. With the Vulture out of the scene, that was just a routine matter, and could be accomplished in less than six months time.

9. varalotti

Part 9!

Part 9!

Sharada was too awed by the developments. Sethu was no ordinary masseur but a millionaire. That was in itself not a problem. But Priya was there. Sethu rightfully belonged to her.

It was time for Sharada to walk out of Sethu’s life. She no longer belonged there. Where would she go? She had been living out of a suit case for the past few days.

Now she had to find a house for herself. Money would not be a problem. But she had to live all alone. She had been dreaming a life of happiness with Sethu by her side. But that has become an impossibility now.

She was now condemned to life-long loneliness. She had lost her only love in life.

All these thoughts produced an audible sob in her. Nalini sat up and switched on the light. Sharada also sat up. Nalini hugged Sharada.

“Sharada, Sharu dear, what happened?”

“Nalini, I’m cursed to live alone. Sethu has found his wife, he has got back his lost wealth. I am now an intruder in their lives. I need to find my own way. Who’s there for me?”

Sharada was crying. Nalini held her in her arms and let her cry.

“Sharada, please understand, all of us have to face our life alone. Do you remember what happened to Sethu? On that fateful day in the psychiatrist’s clinic, he was all alone, though he had a loving wife, dozens of loyal employees and hundreds of loving friends.

“He was alone when his captors tried to smuggle him to Trivandrum to sell him for his organs.

“Each one of us is mercilessly created to be alone. We do not have a choice in that. But we do have a choice whether to feel lonely or not. You have already chosen to feel lonely. I thought you are going to be with me for ever. But you did not consider me as worthy of your company”

“Nalini” Sharada buried her face in Nalini’s chest and started crying again.

“We are going to Trivandrum along with Sethu and Kalpana. I have already discussed that with Sethu. I have made all the arrangements. We should see Priya. And we should meet the Swamiji.

“Don’t ever think that you can understand your life, especially at this time, with your ego. You need help from above.

“Now try to get some sleep, Sharu dear."

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sri,

Madhavan and Priya have always been my favourite characters and have focussed on them throughout. I am glad to know about Priya and am glad to know that Sharada would not be alone. Nalini and Sharada should spend their life together and Priya hopefully should be able to lead a normal life with her love Madhavan. True love should never wither away, In my life I have worked hard to bring two souls together, two real lovers together. All my friends pin their hope on me and I have never fallen short of their expectations. Though they are just characters of the story, I am keen to see them together forever. As a writer, you will definitely add your flavour, which would be welcome anyways, but as a reader, I would like to see them together.

Bye