HCG Levels in Early pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sita2460, Sep 11, 2007.

1. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

hi Aparna,
    So sorry to hear about ur m/c. Hope that god gives u enough strength to recover. You will def be blessed with a healthy baby soon.
    -Priya

2. sirisyam

sirisyam Silver IL'ite

Aparna,
    i understand what u r going thru,

take ample rest. u r in australia........
    is any elderly person there with u to take care of u.....
    it would be of gr8 help.

take test.

according to me i think it will not be wise to conceive shortly.
    give some time for u r body to make up.

god hellps u girl n u will be blessed with healthy baby shortly.

baby dust to u.

take care.

3. aparnasrinivas

aparnasrinivas New IL'ite

Hi Friends

I am ok now. slowly recovering.I would like to thank everyone for you blessings and best wishes for my future.

Thanks a lot for everyone

4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Take care of your health...
    Baby dust to you...

5. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Hello Ladies...

Am glad to see this post here today.

3 days back, 35 days after my LMP in November, I felt excessive tenderness of breasts and decided to try a HPt. To my utter disbelief, there it was...the second faint pink line! Took another HPt and a Beta hCG blood test and confirmed my pregnancy on the 28th December.

But here's the confusing update from the doctor today. My hCG was 464mlIU/ml on the 28th. It counted as just about 6 weeks pregnant...which was actually quite out of question cos it was exactly 5.3 weeks only since the previous cycle. So I went in for another Beta hCG as suggested by the doctor after 2 days on the 30th.

According to her, the count should have doubled, but its just come to 491mlIU/ml, barely an increase indicating little growth. So its either an unhealthy pregnancy, which in some cases can be taken care of and sustained. But in my internal scan, there was no sac in the Uterus. Instead, there was a growth outside the uterus..not even in the fallopian tube.

They suspected it could be a cyst that causes HCG to rise...but most likely reason would be an external Ectopic Pregnancy. The one good news about all this is that the hCG level is going up very gradually indicating the growth is not rapid and will not threaten me in any other way as long as it remains so.

I am having another Beta hCG done tomorrow along with another internal and an U/S to get a better picture of the situation.
    We have the housewarming ceremony for our new home in 17 days and a foreign travel coming up after that..might be a long term shift too. So am just blank right now. Besides my mom and dad are in different cities on work. I don't want them worrying, especially mom (you all know how they can get) since she is by herself and I know how depressed she can get..she is worse than I am!

I know this can't miraculously get set right...but after reading your posts, I am not that scared and not so negative as I was a few hours ago. My husband is totally supportive of me...in fact he's been very protective and that gives me a lot of strength.

I have been reading through most of the posts in this forum for long..and I know there's always hope..just praying this one too turns out good :thumbsup....

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. Vasumathy

Hi Tanoshii,
    Hope things goes fine for you.
    Be positive.
    My sincere prayers will be there with you...

7. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Thanks so much Vasumathy..
    Keeping fingers crossed and yet hoping for the best :)..

8. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Hello Ladies...

First of all...I am sorry to have posted my problem here. I was thinking it was a different thread and just noticed and read this one fully.
    I really hope Aparna's plight has come to an end now.

But my current situation is a little tricky and would appreciate any help from anyone.

Like I posted earlier, the doctor suspected an Ectopic Pregnancy last week. But a day after the first scan, we went for a Vaginal internal scan and saw a gestation sac in the uterus about 3.1mm in size.

But my hCG which was about 464mlIU/ml at first has staggered to just about 652mlIU/ml in 6 days time. Apparently that is not normal at all. It should have doubled ever 2 days and should have reached quite a count by now.

After another internal scan today they ruled out the possibility of an ectopic..so that is one relief. But even after a week, the internal scan shows a very small sac the size of about 4.1 mm and the ultrasound shows nothing at all. According to the doctor and the radiologist I should be entering my 8th week of gestation in 2 days time. But it looks like less than 5 weeks which the doctor attributes to anomaly in dates due to my irregular cycles cos of PCOD.

They say this could lead to anything. An unhealthy pregnancy that may or may not sustain. Or it could be a problem with the implantation and may not be real pregnancy at all. Or it could also be unhealthy at first and then pick up to a normal healthy kind later. Has anyone come across this kind of diagnosis?

Either way the doctor does not want to rule out all possibilities right away and terminate the pregnancy. She has asked me to wait for now and see what happens.

I have been on medication for PCOD for about 2 years now and am prone to complications according to my gynecologist. I am currently in Bangalore and when I called my doctor (who is in Chennai) to report about these developments (since she knows my history better), all I got out of it was that she yelled at me over the phone. Apparently neither of us is God and me getting anxious or my doctor here in Bangalore getting a little cautious is stupidity to her. It just felt real bad...It may have been the millionth case for her, but its the first for me after being married for 6.5 years..

I am going out of my mind right now. With the house function coming up in a few days time am just clueless and can't even concentrate on the arrangements.. I feel like this is worse than the 2 week wait TTC...Its like its there, after all this struggle, but never know if I'll really have it..

Anyway, am going for another Beta hCG in 3 days time..so that would be a week from the last test and that should reveal quite a bit..praying nothing should go wrong..at least not at this time..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  9. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

I guess no one's been in a similar condition before.
    Even the radiologist and Gynecologist seem to think this is a weird development.
    My hCG came out double this time and the fetus has grown rapidly is just 3 days time. But even after 7weeks and one day from my LMP, my scan showed an empty sac with no Foetal pole.
    The radiologist says this is most likely to end in a miscarriage, so asked me to go about it with the doctor. But the doctor still believes it might turn out good. Maybe my dates are just too mixed up cos of my medication..

I am going back for a scan in 10 days time. I can visit the doctor anytime I have spotting or severe cramps..but again, hoping for the best :) ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2010
  10. Vasumathy

Hi Tanoshii,
    I understan your frustration. Not many face these problem but few does. There are some threads on ectopic pregnancy, search them if you want.

Relax. Don't stress yourself. Wait for your gynec's response. Don't loose hope. I know its tough to handle this situtation. Prepare yourself mentally. It will be fine.