1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

having a small home with one bedroom doesnt attract ur relatives :P

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shrutimanjunath, Aug 27, 2013.

1. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I just heard my friend saying this to me that if you choose a smaller house or only one bed room home, it can keep your relatives away from staying with you.
    She meant they would not visit frequently thinking the house is too small and it would be conjusted for them to stay. Have u ever felt it this way.

I am not sure if this works for all. Let me know your thoughts?
    :)

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Try it....and then please share :p

1 person likes this.
  3. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

hahaha I kno one family who dont even have a bedroom..its just one room that makes the hall, kitchen n bathroom. And they have some or the other visitor always..so genuine people wil not get rid of relatives anyway ;-)

3 people like this.
  4. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

What kind of relatives do you mean? If you mean in-laws, they will be satisfied nowhere, take my word. :)

It depends on what kind of people are coming to stay, I think. We had 3BHK apt in India, even that was not big enough for DH & MIL and they created drama when my parents came to stay. They have been using their own 2bhk apt as an excuse not to invite anyone. Cheap people :rant

Here we have 1BHK apt, which I personally feel is too small to invite a family with children to stay. There is absolutely no room for more than two people to sleep. But, we frequently have our couple friends coming to stay over for weekends, without any problem. Sometimes DH & the guy sleeps in the hall and we ladies sleep inside. But if the dishwasher needs running, we sleep outside and they sleep in the bedroom.

Like I told DH when he created drama over my family coming to stay, it depends more on how big your heart is, that how big the house is. :)

2 people like this.
  5. EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove Silver IL'ite

i know of a family where in a 1bhk, the newly weds slept in the living room while the il's took the bedroom.. the reason given was il's are old and can't sleep on the floor while the couple could use sleeping bags in living room..! disgusting, yes!

6. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

If it was for couple of days or for a week or so, its still ok as one must be accommodating towards the guests. But if it was for months, then I would say, the newly weds were stupid to invite them when they didn't have proper arrangements.

7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Well, it depends! My in-laws think our 3 BR house (with attached 2 car garage and finished basement) is 'too small' and they stayed in a motel whenever visited us until we'd a baby. Now, they want to play with their grandson so they make themselves comfortable in our small house. My parents think our house is "huge" esp for just two of us (now three).
    My in-laws (American) live in a huge, ranch-style house in Midwest and my parents (Indian) live in a modest 3 BR house in India.

1 person likes this.
  8. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

newly married ones in living room is so ridiculous to hear. but i know it happens when other people demand for a bedroom.

9. aniShekar

aniShekar Platinum IL'ite

Just to re-iterate Shreya's point...

My SIL's DIL and son were put up in a 1 BHK just after marriage - and a pretty small one at that. She had to host her in-laws, BIL, her MIL's parents, MIL's sister + family, just after marriage (they were "helping" her set the house up ;-)). So that's 10 of them in a space smaller than a small studio apt, with ladies in the one bedroom, and the men in the outer area.

Clever girl that she was, she put all the ladies to work (simply didn't peep into the kitchen, so all were left to fend for themselves and their menfolk). Either ignored or sweetly gave back as required :thumbsup

Now two years later, they are living in decent 2 BHK, and her in-laws don't dare visit at all!!

Not that I agree with all her tactics, but sometimes you just have to do all it can to stop people from imposing on you :)

1 person likes this.
  10. beanstalk

beanstalk Gold IL'ite

Not always. My Bil and his wife live in one of the most expensive countries in the world. And even though they have lived in a studio apartment and then 1-2 bedroom home which is considered luxurious in their place because it is hard to afford even that in a good location, they have visitors all the time. Most of the time its because visitors/tourist want to save money and would not think twice about staying for weeks in that 1 bedroom house with their kids and would be inconsiderate about their son and their needs. Since there is a mixed marriage and she comes from different part of the world it quite same for a lot of her relatives/friends too.

Indian visitors are specially immune to these inconveniences for host. How many times even in US here we have heard of many times removed relatives who otherwise never call you, so conveniently call you and tell you that they are visiting your city and will be staying back at your place.

I had a friend here who had her husband's friend family staying with her for about 6 months. She was hosting them, cooking and taking care of most of their usual expenditures. I was shocked to hear this but that family had recently come from India. After this experience she forced her husband to find a bigger apartment with atleast 2 bedrooms so that it would be more convenient for them when such guests arrive.

In nutshell, it completely depends on attitude of the guests and how considerate are they to other's comfort and convenience.